Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should all CMA systems have jab, cross, uppercut, and hook?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Shaolin applied and trained for sport fighting will look like sanda. People have an idea of what Kung Fu should look like and they think if it doesn't look like the form or a Kung Fu movie, then it's not Kung Fu.

Jab, cross, hook are foundational to Shaolin....
    Fixed your quote
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Fixed your quote
    Yes, but only because you won't have boxing gloves or fight shorts on...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I think the most questionable one is hook. My style has the same move that YKW places as hook, but I don't feel that move, in practice, is used in the same situations as what we call a hook, even if it is a strike that comes from the side.

The closest approximation, in my opinion, are chops, as they are used in similar range and usage as a normal hook.

As for the rest, yes, we have them. I would say that rear hand uppercut is also in my style, and is every bit as bread and butter as the rest.

Last edited by xinyidizi; 03-27-2014 at 05:26 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    The boxing system doesn't own it.

no they don't "own" it but they do it differently than most TCMA styles. Comparing the basic 4 of boxing to CMA or JMA is not really a comparison because of the stance. There is more power generation with the lead leg more rooted in boxing. Not downing the CMA or JMA systems just saying that when you add kicking into equation the stances change.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    no they don't "own" it but they do it differently than most TCMA styles. Comparing the basic 4 of boxing to CMA or JMA is not really a comparison because of the stance. There is more power generation with the lead leg more rooted in boxing. Not downing the CMA or JMA systems just saying that when you add kicking into equation the stances change.
    Absolutely, kicks and takedowns force different stance then hands only...IMO stance is a bigger difference than the strikes themselves.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

looks totally different to the boxing set haha.

A lot of people say that choy lay fut has practical punches for the boxing ring, but that is a southern style!

I think the point people fail to see with some of the forms of is that trains you to be explosive.

I’m not sure about shaolin looking like sanda. This has something to do with the cultural revolutions, and then kung fu coming back in the form of tao lu [forms] then fighting [sanda],does it not? All or most of the applications I have learned so far in shaolin involves the blocking hand to either grab or trap the attack. There is no grabbing the attacking hands in sanda with boxing gloves on. Also there are many applications for grabbing the guys wrist/arm and pulling him into a strike.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    I’m not sure about shaolin looking like sanda. This has something to do with the cultural revolutions, and then kung fu coming back in the form of tao lu [forms] then fighting [sanda],does it not? All or most of the applications I have learned so far in shaolin involves the blocking hand to either grab or trap the attack. There is no grabbing the attacking hands in sanda with boxing gloves on. Also there are many applications for grabbing the guys wrist/arm and pulling him into a strike.
    Well you really can't grab the wrist and strike with boxing gloves on...when sparring kickboxers with boxing gloves it will naturally go to a Thai or wrestling style clinch at a close range. When I spar with Kyokushin fighters barehanded, however, I find grabbing the arm, (and their gis,) and striking,really comes into play naturally.

I do think northern gong fu striking resembles sanda striking.