Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: northern gong fu striking resembles sanda striking . Tell me more ?

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    I'm sure there are lots of differences in stance, close range short power, footwork and follow up attacks but what do you think is the difference between them in just jab, cross, uppercut and hook?
    Well, as much as can be. Wrist angle, alignment of knuckles to target, which joints are moving which are locked, body mechanic, the targeting, the timing, the trajectory, the position it initiates from (rarely the standard guard) and the method of combination of said punches.

Boxing, no clinch?

Greetings YKW,

Check out the following clip. Though it is Western boxing, the clinches do allow for combative approaches to the throw. It comes down to how down and dirty you want to be. There are opportunities for nose bites, head butts, elbows, all that would lead up to a throw. There are opportunities for a wide variety of throws. It is not so much the bridge as is the timing. The boxer knows how to seize the moment whether through action or reaction. The bridge actually begins from within.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-30-2014 at 02:33 PM.

if you keep your hands up and tuck your chin to protect your face, you are not a real kung fu warrior. you have been tainted with evil knucklehead kickboxing.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if you keep your hands up and tuck your chin to protect your face, you are not a real kung fu warrior. you have been tainted with evil knucklehead kickboxing.
    If you hold a big fist, hide your head behind it, straight both of your arms, run toward your opponent like a mad man, you are a real kung fu warrior without any evil knucklehead kickboxing influence.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    Putting your hands up and tucking in your chin cuts off a large amount of your peripheral vision. Its fine when squaring off against one, but stuff doesn't go down like that in my experience. In antique Wushu, when weapons are involved, cutting out your peripheral vision is suicidal. The head can dodge very fast, but the body cannot. Of course a high guard must be used when it is time, but I don't think its a good idea to stand there like that. If your focused on the guy in front of you it is the one to the side who hits you.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 03-31-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Putting your hands up and tucking in your chin cuts off a large amount of your peripheral vision. Its fine when squaring off against one, but stuff doesn't go down like that in my experience. In antique Wushu, when weapons are involved, cutting out your peripheral vision is suicidal. The head can dodge very fast, but the body cannot. Of course a high guard must be used when it is time, but I don't think its a good idea to stand there like that. If your focused on the guy in front of you it is the one to the side who hits you.
    shaolin essentials of boxing: "the boxer who doesn't even keep his hands up and head down is the lowest level of garbage fighter. this is the third level."

*rubs testicles
    Last edited by bawang; 03-31-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    If your holding a weapon your guard will be different than empty handed, that goes without saying. If you are circling outside of striking range, extending the arms with the head up is fine. When you are in striking range, if you don't keep your hands up and your chin down, your going to have a bad time.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    When you are in striking range, if you don't keep your hands up and your chin down, your going to have a bad time.
    IMO, When you are in striking range, to extend your arms and make your hands to be closer to your opponent's face will give you much better defense than just to guard your arms next to your face. I'll going to test this as much as I can.

IMO, When you are in striking range, to extend your arms and make your hands to be closer to your opponent's face will give you much better defense than just to guard your arms next to your face. I'll going to test this as much as I can.
    Makes it easier to clinch, harder to strike...depends on your game...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

At the end of the day close range striking and grappling wins.

He is Roger Su who had defeated Robert Smith, a 3rd degree black belt in Judo when Roger was only 17 years old with only 1 and 1/2 year of SC training.
    In Robert w smith's book he claimed he defeated the Chang Tung Shen's seniors with his judo and then they got mad and told him to use only swai jiao. I could see this happening as judo competition had more rules and therefore more skills sets required like groundwork.

I doubt Roger Su defeated a judo blackbelt with only 1.5 years of wrestling training. That sounds more like wishful hoping and Chinese myth. How old was Robert w smith when this supposed match occurred?

RWS says a lot of nonesense and bs in his books but this story sounds like bs. He may have loved the internal kool aide but he was definitely good at judo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy panda View Post
    In Robert w smith's book he claimed he defeated the Chang Tung Shen's seniors with his judo and then they got mad and told him to use only swai jiao. I could see this happening as judo competition had more rules and therefore more skills sets required like groundwork.

I doubt Roger Su defeated a judo blackbelt with only 1.5 years of wrestling training. That sounds more like wishful hoping and Chinese myth. How old was Robert w smith when this supposed match occurred?

RWS says a lot of nonesense and bs in his books but this story sounds like bs. He may have loved the internal kool aide but he was definitely good at judo.
    If Robert Smith didn't make that statement in his book, I won't even want to mention that event. It's ancient history now. We had this discussion in this forum many years ago when Robert Smith was still alive. I still have the E-mail that Roger Su sent to me last time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear John ,

BB. The Story About Robert Smith Wrestling With Me & Sheng Tsung-Hui Is 100% By Truth In Central Police College When He Was In Taipei & Introduced By Uncle Chow Chi-Tsung (周繼春) Who Was A Colonel In Air Forces & A Closing Friend Of Grandmaster Chang Our Teacher That Time ! I Couldn't Remember Clearly About Which Year But Anyway It's The First Year When He Met Grandmaster Chang In Taipei ! I'm Still Rememberring The "Secene" Very Clearring Such As Firstly ; Grandmaster Chang Was Joking To Tell Us That Robert Smith's Shoes Is So Big Just Like A Pair Of Boats !
    Second ; When We Start For Wrestle Matching I Found That My Head Is Just Reaching His Breast & He Was Getting A Special Smelling From His Body !
    Thirdth ; He Got A Very Strong & Powerful Judo Specilist Techneque Of "Ashibalai 送腳掃" !
    At That Night Uncle Chow Chi-Tsung Was Just Sitting Besiding Grandmaster Chang In The ShuaiChiao Gem Of Central Police College ! He Is Now Changing His Name As Chow Chien-Nan(周劍南) ! His House Phone Will Be "8862-2763-3003" & Address Will Be "3rd. Fl., Number 3, Alley 3 , Lane 69, Sec. 5, Ming Sheng E. Road , Taipei City " Which Was Giving From Himself To Me At Many Years Ago ! You May Try To Call Him & Find Out These From States If He Is Still There ! If Master Robert Smith Is Beliving With God He Shouldn't Denying About This Turth Due To There Is Only One Thruth In The World !!! I Agreed That Those ShuaiChiao Students In Central Police College At That Time Were Not Able To Beatting Him But Not Me & Sheng Tsung-Hui Althout We Were Just Teenage Boys At That Time ! I'm Crossing My Heart In Front Of God For Telling This To Everybody !
    CC. As You Are My Younger Brotherhood In ShuaiChiao I'll Like To Suggest You For Respectful Every School Of Martial Arts & Being Hombles Always ! Any Martial Art's Strength Have To Be Proving On Tournament Matchings ! I Wish That No Matter How Robert Smith Is Still Remenber That Sence Which I'm Telling Aboved Or Not ? But Please Just Stopping Fighting In Internet & No More Mention It Again ! Times Is Changing Every Day ! Again ! Every Kind Of Martial Arts Want To Be Proving Their Strength Have To Be On Tournament Fightings ! This Is My Last Mention About Master Robert Smith & Me ! I Am Respectful To Every School Of Martial Arts ! I'll Sulute To Him If Master Smith Is Still Remember Me !?

Brother Roger
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-31-2014 at 10:18 PM.

This is a case of he said she said. We may never know the truth.

kung fu bickering bores me. the last exiciting kung fu event was the boxing rebellion.

-some fat guy wrestling some Taiwan fat guy 2 times then bragging about it for 40 years

vs

-ten thousand golden warriors high on opium and charging machine guns with guan daos