Thread: Lots of Sui Nim Tau?

Lots of Sui Nim Tau?

One of my classmates has issued a challenge; that we do 5000 SNT in the upcoming year. That averages to about 14 a day. I just finished my first 10 and my problematic lower back is already complaining.

Still, I wonder about such a goal. Is it better to do 14 a day to reach a measurable goal or 1 a day with intent and focus? I've seen lots of "do several dozen SNT" and am wondering if I'm just unaware of the advantage to numbers without intent.

Am I missing something?

In my opinion, it is better to do 3 per day really well and with proper intent than 14 a day just to get them over with. Numbers don't mean anything. Quality counts.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    In my opinion, it is better to do 3 per day really well and with proper intent than 14 a day just to get them over with. Numbers don't mean anything. Quality counts.
    That sounds spot-on to me. Three is a good number, especially if you have limited time. When I do form outside of class I try do do three reps. The first time to sort of warm-up taking note of where I need work, the second-time I really focus on any problem areas --repeating those sections several times if necessary-- and the last time I go straight through and actually trying to get it right.

Funny how people think that by doing huge numbers of reps of a form, or conversely doing it super slowly for a really long time they will reap some special benefit. Of course there are benefits to repetition and varying the pace, but withing reason. As KPM said, better to just focus on practicing well. A lot of poor practice just reinforces poor habits.

So I'd forget the "5,000 reps in a year" challenge and shoot for around 1,000. That's roughly three a day on the average, six days a week. Then keep that up for five years and see if you don't come out ahead.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 04-02-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

I'm more of the musicians mindset - practice for X hours a day. Doesn't matter much how many reps I do, only that I do them with the precision needed to do it right.