Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Sik strung together

San Sik strung together

This is for David Cox. I couldn't find where I mentioned this in one of the other threads, so just started a new one by default. I had commented that you can find youtube footage of both Fung Chun and Fung Keung stringing multiple San Sik from KLPSWC together to make them look like one long form and this had created some confusion for people. Here is a young Fung Keung stringing San Sik together during a public demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlfe...EDBEF26759329C

Here is that classic footage of Fung Chun shot by Leung Ting (ignore the part with the young guys doing Chi Sao with their butts sticking out. I don't know what the heck that is!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cqR...D1A558BA6A9E37

Compare these to this actual Yong Chun White Crane form, which I maintain is essentially mulitple San Sik strung together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwpHuTwjS30

Short sequences practiced individually....or strung together in a series....what's the real difference? Not much in my mind.
    Last edited by KPM; 03-21-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Here is a Yuen Kay Shan Wing Chun guy stringing together the 12 San Sik that Sum Nun kept from his time with Cheung Bo. This makes it look like one long form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV9g6...EDBEF26759329C

Technically, you could say that this is YKSWCK's "4th form"!

So again, what is the big difference between training these short sequences individually compared to putting them together in one form? Not much in my opinion! So I think for Hendrik to say that KLPSWC is "incomplete" because it lacks the SNT form, and for Joy to talk disparagingly about KLPS because he thinks it is "just some basic drills" is not right! But neither one is inclined to change their poorly informed opinions. So I will just continue to point out their mistaken comments as needed! ;-)
    Last edited by KPM; 03-22-2014 at 09:40 AM.

HW, I think most people that have done YMWCK have practiced those! They just didn't necessarily organize it that way or give it a name! Anything broken out for formal practice as a short sequence of movement could be considered a San Sik. Heck, you can and should make up your own for practice. I think this is what leads Joy to think that KLPSWC is "just some basic drills", because from one perspective that is what San Sik are...techniques drilled on their own for practice.

But let me again emphasize the logic of what Leung Jan did when he reorganized the way he taught Wing Chun in Ku Lo village at the end of his life. It wasn't JUST as short sequences of techniques for drilling. Each of the San Sik sequences in KLPS has a specific body mechanic, intent, "theme", "gong", or whatever you'd like to call it. Leung Jan took this into careful consideration when he designed the San Sik. They are progressive in nature, meaning you work on them in a particular order and they develop your body and your "gong" in a specific way. Each San Sik has an accompanying two man application drill so you know exactly what it is training you to do. Some of them have more than one way to train them as two man drills. Each San Sik is also applied on the dummy. So in KLPS you start using the wooden dummy right away. You don't wait for well on in the curriculum before being exposed to it. And of course each San Sik is applied in Chi Sao as well as Jao Sao or sparring. Leung Jan knew he had limited time at the end of his life to pass on the culmination of his life's experience training and fighting with Wing Chun and he came up with an ingenious and effective way to do this. He wasn't just "passing the time" with a bunch of farm boys as some seem to think.

Acording to this article Fung Sang taught a 18 point system in Hong Kong Maybe this is that Yip Man 18 San Sao or San Sik system from Fung Sang ? I also found on a website where it says Wng Kiu or Lock Yiu practiced a 18 san sao system
    here is what some of the article says
    he art of Side Body Boxing is rooted in the Twelve Fists of Master Leung Jan but there is much more to the systems curriculum to be studied, which, lead to different expressions of the art. One element of Kulo history that was confirmed from this interview was; Who developed the Yee Sup Yee or Twenty Two Point Kulo system? It was Fang Sang’s father, Fung Lim, who developed, and taught, this system to the public! The system that Fung Sang taught consisted of Eighteen Points (12/6), Dummy, Pole & Dbl Knives. Fung Ho Chiu said this about his sifu’s teaching, “Ging power comes from “yao yun” soft power from the waist. In the early training the horse is emphasized along with the 18 basics single man followed by the Chi Sao two man training.”

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Are these San sik "points" the same as what is termed "methods"?

Not exactly. The term typically used is "Faat." From my understanding, a "method" is much more conceptual. It is more like a guiding concept or tactic and does not refer to specific technique. Robert Chu uses the term "mental methods." I think other TCMAs sometimes use the English term "keywords." Yip Man dropped these, but Yuen Kay Shan kept them. So many of Robert's "mental methods" come from his study of YKSWCK. But, just like I have said before that a specific San Sik in KLPS may train a specific "gong" or body mechanic, it may also embody a specific "faat" or tactic/strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Acording to this article Fung Sang taught a 18 point system in Hong Kong Maybe this is that Yip Man 18 San Sao or San Sik system from Fung Sang ? I also found on a website where it says Wng Kiu or Lock Yiu practiced a 18 san sao system
    .”
    I doubt it. I've never read anything about Yip Man being connected to KLPS. Fung Sang was teaching in Hong Kong in the early 70's. Yip Man was well-established by then and this was probably after any phase where Yip Man taught any organized San Sik method. Again, I think training a series of techniques as drills has likely always been part of Wing Chun. What people are seeing as a "18 point system" within YMWCK was very likely just a set of these drills that someone organized into a standard curriculum for training. Someone else may change it around and mix and match and so there was no reason to keep it "standardized." Its all still there, just spread out and taught at different times and in different ways depending on the instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    Thx again KPM.

Are we talking about (as an example) something like "huen"? Is it a piece of a form (ie SLT)? A technique that can be extracted and focused upon in a San sik? And it could also be considered a 'method'?
    Or another keyword one hears often is 'jeet' but I can't recall a specific 'shape' or 'technique' that embodies it. Therefore I bbelieve one can 'jeet' with a variety of the arts' tools correct?
    Huen...no. Jeet...yes! I found this in my archives. Something that Terrence Niehoff wrote several years back:

WCK's faat mun provides a strategy that permits us to strike the opponent while being safe, that strategy is to join (daap), close them down (jeet), break their structure (chum), then deliver our weapons (biu), all the while maintaining flexible attachment (chi). While these may appear as sequential, often they overlap -- ideally you want to daap, jeet, chum in one action (to break an opponent's structure on contact).

The WCK faat isn't about "change", it is a strategic approach to fighting. Look, ground and pound is a strategic approach to fighting. You can break that approach down into strategic steps -- get in and clinch, take him down, get dominant position, maintain dominant position, deliver your weapons. It's the same with WCK, the faat gives you a break down into strategic steps of the WCK method of fighting, daap, jeet, chum, biu, chi. That's what we are trying to do when we fight. It's our game plan. Our tools are means of implementing that plan. Just like a GNPer needs some skills to clinch and take down, we need stills to daap and jeet, to join and close the opponent's down.

Let's say my opponent's arms are between us. I am not going to try and just hit him in the head through his arm (since he can hit me too), so I will hit his arms (daap) -- in this way, I stop his ability to hit me (jeet). But, my hit is to break (chum) his structure via his arms.

These are just some of the "mental methods" that Robert Chu uses: Daap/Join, Jeet/Intercept/Interrupt, Chum/Sink/Break, Biu/Dart, Chi/Stick. As you can see they don't refer to a specific technique, but rather a strategy. Multiple techniques could be used to "Daap" or to "Jeet", etc.
    Last edited by KPM; 03-23-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Kpm

I thought Lee Shing new Ko Lo Pien San Wing Chun wasnt Lee Shing a student of Yip Man maybe Lee Shing showed Yip Man some of the Ko Lo Pien San Wing Chun ?

I thought Lee Shing new Ko Lo Pien San Wing Chun wasnt Lee Shing a student of Yip Man maybe Lee Shing showed Yip Man some of the Ko Lo Pien San Wing Chun ?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly Li Li Sing was the real teacher of Lee Shing and Ip Man, they trained together in secret:-

Heress some video of Lee Shing

Acording to this article Yip Man taught Lee Shing his Wing Chun as everybody knows in the 1950 s or 1960 s so would Lee Shing have shown Yip Man some of his Ko Lo Pien San Wing Chun even if Yip Man didnt use or learn any of it wouldnt Yip have been exposed to Ko lo Pien San Wing Chun ?
    http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/...n=WCP.LeeShing

Lee Shing is said to have learned KLPS from Fung Sang. That is well known. I would take the idea that he studied KLPS with Fung Lim early in his childhood with a little skepticism. There is always that generational "one-upmanship" to consider in TCMAs. Fung Sang was actively teaching in Hong Kong in the early 1970's. So it is likely that Lee Shing actually learned from Fung Sang AFTER his time with Yip Man. Either way, those "18 Yip Man San Sik" do not match the KLPS San Sik and are very unlikely to have come from Lee Shing.
    Last edited by KPM; 03-24-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly Li Li Sing was the real teacher of Lee Shing and Ip Man, they trained together in secret:-

Have you stooped to spamming what have otherwise been worthwhile threads now Joy?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Short sequences practiced individually....or strung together in a series....what's the real difference? Not much in my mind.
    I learned the difference between what my teacher called the substance and the form. The form and I am not speaking just about fixed sets is a way of conveying the underlying substance. You can convey the same substance in multiple ways or forms.

A person can learn the SLT set and never get the substance. They can also learn the substance it conveys without learning the set.