Thread: Shaolin Life Camp

Shaolin Life Camp

Greetings, all. I'm going to attempt to post some of my experience here in China at the Shaolin Life Camp that is being conducted for 1st place winners of the Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival last October in L.A. I don't usually post a lot, so bear with me. Anyway, Gene put me up to it! Not sure how reliable my Internet connections are gonna be, too, but I'll do my best.
    As far as I know, there's only a small handful of us taking part, but I'll know more tomorrow the 7th when we all check in at Shaolin Temple. Right now I'm in a hotel in Zhengzhou just chillin tryin to get my mind right for what is for me a monumentally awesome experience.
    Stay tuned for more (hopefully) as I report.

1st day here

Okay, I've made it. Met my roommates for the visit. Nice people. Should be a good time. Also on the same floor are some of the African students right next door. Very cool! I'm just taking things in right now. When I have something of interest to report, I will.
    Until then, Rasta over & out!

You made it, Ras!

Read Shaolin Rasta (Shaolin Special 2014) 'cuz I gotta plug the mag.

Thanks & Praises for making the effort to post here now. You can tell us all about it when you get back. Don't waste too much time online at Shaolin.

Some other threads, just for fun and back story.
    1st American Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival
    Songshan Shaolin Champion
    Shaolin Rasta the 37th Chamber
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Latest installment

Still trying to post a few things. Thanks, Gene, for giving me that leeway, but it's not much of a problem to put a few things up in the evening. Just that the wi-fi is very spotty here.
    Anyway, after 2 days, I'm sore as he'll, but lovin it. Accommodations are very spartan. We are in what is called The Shaolin Disciples Home just up the lane from the temple. We are split into two groups for training. Older folks are with one master to learn a more wellness oriented program, and younger folks are with another to do more "hard" style stuff. The Shifu we have is a young one & very nice & patient, yet he is working our asses off! Because we have a number of young kids in our group, the Shifu asked what people might be interested in learning. Why did they all say, "drunken fist" ? Now I wish I had went with the older group where I belong! But actually, I can hang a little bit since I was the first one to land a butterfly kick into a side fall. Not really well mind you, but I went for it.
    Having a great time with the kids, cause I'm a big kid, too! Everyone is part of one school or another except me, the lone lion. I have been getting way too much attention because of my locks to the point that I have to hightail it through the crowd of tourists or be stopped every few feet for requests to take pictures! Even some of the monks! Oh well, what can I do but be nice & not take it in a bad way. All the people have been very nice to me. They're only curious, and some quite genuinely complimentary saying they love my locks. Not a few have been pretty young girls, so that certainly makes it more tolerable!
    Stay tuned in

Nice! Thanks for the updates.
    I'm guessing you haven't traveled in China much, if you think the Disciples Home is spartan? By the time I got there, it seemed practically posh to me. Other than the food. I hope that's gotten better.

Hanging with some of the African students there? Hope you're having fun...careful with the baijiu. If you recognize anyone from the last picture here: http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/...p?article=1153
    then do me a favor and show them it and say "hi" for me.

Hope you have a great trip!