Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HFY History

HFY History

Please don't take this as a "trigger" for a knee-jerk defensive response! That is not my intent! I hesitated to start this thread, but decided to do it in the spirit of trying to be "fair and reasonable" as I mentioned on the prior thread. On that prior thread I posted something that Rene Ritchie said back in 2003:

If WCK was really an art trained by a large number of people in the secret societies (as opposed to a small fringe group on the Red Junks), then it likely would still have spread prior to and beyond the Red Junks within the Societies and today be found in Taiwan and overseas much as Hung fist and other Society arts are.

Look at one of the most popular WCK origin myths - that it was created to defeat the more common arts leaked to the Manchu so that soldiers could be trained better/faster and overthrow the Qing.

Yet they don't spread it, they don't train the militias, and they don't overthrow the Qing? Either that wasn't what WCK was created for, or the implementation was ineffective to the point of, well, not being the work of the brightest minds out there.

We know the Red Junk had WCK aboard in the 1850s. We've thus far not found WCK stemming from anywhere else, any earlier. It may have, maybe it even did, but there's nothing to indicate it yet, much less support it. We have a reasonably good idea what WCK looked like back to that point, what shapes it used and how it generated power (which are often considered the mapping points of an MA), and we know what other arts were around at that point in that area.

I followed it with this statement:

And here we are over 10 years later and NO ONE else has emerged teaching HFY or having any knowledge of HFY other than Garrett Gee and his students.

But in all fairness, this jogged my memory and I went back looking in some of the stuff I have archived. A few years back a fellow named Lee Chiang Po was a member of this forum. At one point he posted this:

The lineage of which my own wing chun comes from is called Hung Fa, and is said to be descended from Hung Gun. My dad always just called it Hung Fa Wing Chun. I had no idea that there were so many different lineages of Wing Chun in the world until I found this forum while looking at the Kung Fu magazine site some time back. I thought that mine was of the only lineage.

If I remember correctly, My dad was born in 1880. He was old when I came along. In 1965 he died from diabetes at 85 years old. He was a Boxer in 1900 and barely missed the headsman. Later he fled the Canton area and went to Hong Kong in 49 to escape the Communists. From there he came to the states. He told me that he learned Hung Fa from ex-soldiers. They were working members of a tong gang. The stuff I related might or might not have been true, but it does make sense to me at least. These things he told me. Now I am old. Or getting old.

Now, what I have been trying to do is keep from making statements of fact. I don't have the facts. Too much myth to really know. What I have said is that what it was called by my dad was Hung Fa. He also called it Hung fa wing chun. He never really called it Hung Fa Yi. I have heard it called by other names as well. I know that he was born in 1880. Some time after 1890 he started learning what he called Hung Fa wing chun. He learned it from ex military men. Soldiers of the Imperial Army. Later in his life he learned from other men when he joined with a secret society. A tong gang is you will. He did not come to the states until 1950. He was an old man. He never did tell me anything concerning lineage or so forth. So I have no idea. Now, I know that what he was teaching me was at least that old. I am guessing that it goes way back more than that. When we see family trees with the last person being enhereter I have to wonder. I was not told this in so many words, but it was indicated that there were hundreds if not thousands of people running around China that were Wing chun boxers.

When I said that it looks the same to me it is because it looks the same to me. Wing chun is built on concepts and basic principals. You can watch 5 people that are trained by different sifu and you will see differences in their style. However, in most all cases you are going to see that they do adhere to these principals even if it looks a bit different. When you abandon these principals you are not doing wing chun in my opinion. Also, if you are the last living person of a single lineage then you can enheret. But you can not enheret the entire system as such.
    I have watched Bill Cheung do wing chun and must say that I do my wing chun pretty much like he does. I am sure by Victors written article that I felt familiar with every concept of what he wrote. If my wing chun was different I would have immediately noticed differences. As for the HFY of Garret Gee, I have no idea as I have never seen him do much except on a few short video clips. It looked exactly like what Bill Cheung does.

I do not believe the story of Ng Mui or Yimm Wing Chun. It would make the lineage far too narrow to have had hundreds if not thousands of followers in China. Look at the number of lineages today. It could not account for only a half dozen generations.
    I don't think I have ever made a posting on the 101 forum spoken of earlier. I am not a member and would not be able to. I have only been there a couple of times and gave up trying to navigate that forum. That was something posted on this forum.

I can speak of only my own, which I do call Lee Chiang Po Wing Chun Kung Fu. There are only 12 true Sao's in this system. Anything else is going to be variations of these, which do not bare naming. All these are purely defensive, and yet each and every one can have an entire fighting system built up around it. It is the Conceptual part of Wing Chun.
    When we practice our Sil Lim, we practice each and every one of these concepts, but we only occasionally apply a palm strike or whatever, but you can add and take from that as you see fit in order to develop these to your best ability to perform. Thus the " Use a little imagination" thing. That is all you have to do. Keeping Sil Lim as traditional from one student to the next is nothing more than an attempt at that very thing. Sil Lim, Chum Kil, and of course, Bil Gee, are all designed to be altered at your own descresion to meet your own needs.
    If you keep it simple, you can learn the system very quickly. However, you will not learn it in most modern day kwoons or gyms that teach Wing Chun. You need to be started from absolute scratch from day one and taught properly. Most will start you in an intermediate class and you start learning somewhere in the middle. You usually give up from frustration. They will have you sparring day one before you even know how to punch or defend.

I am wondering if anyone from the HFY school ever looked up Lee Chiang Po to compare his system to HFY?

The historical problem for HFY is the fact that over the decade since it became public knowledge no one that teaches it or knows anything about it has emerged other than Garrett Gee and his students. As Rene Ritchie asked way back in 2003, if this was truly the fighting method used by the Hung societies for training revolutionary militias....and was taught to hundreds of people, why do we not see more surviving lineages today? Other styles associated with the secret societies can be found. The number of people trained on the Red Boats would have been very small compared to the number training as part of revolutionary militias. We can find multiple lineages tracing back to the Red Boats but none claiming connection to the Hung societies other than Garrett Gee. This is a real historical problem for HFY. Again....please no knee-jerk reaction attacks! This is a simple statement of fact. No agenda here. No political motivation here. Just an interest in WCK history!

But......if what Lee Chiang Po has written is true, this could very well be something that would buttress and support HFY history. If his "Hung Fa WCK" is more similar to HFY than it is to the Red Boat lineage systems, then what Garrett Gee has taught about HFY's background would get some validation and go a long ways towards making people like me eat my words!!!! Prove me wrong! Please! I would love to see some validation of the HFY history! It would make the world of WCK even more interesting!

So. Does anyone know Lee Chiang Po? Has anyone paid him a visit?

Problem with Wing Chun history in general is that there isn't any scientific research on the subject . What we have are stories from pulp fiction novels which was very popular in 1920s ans 1930s and old people stories largely influenced with same pulp fiction stories . There aren't any physical evidence , written documents , nothing to support any of the Wing Chun origin stories . Some people did some research , fine , but question remains , are thous people qualified to do historical research? Again , what we have are old people's stories , nothing else . There is no scientific approach in their research, no systematic data collecting , no validation of the collected material of any kind . There are some "documents " , but these "documents" did't pass any validation test , without that how can we know these documents are real and how we can we prove their genuinity . So , question is , what do we really know about wing chun history ?

To answer your question, no from what i understand.

LCP seems to have vanished but was here for quite a while and certainly made some big claims regarding his fighting skills (undefeated, worked doors eetc)
    But he did have some interesting history regarding his training and lineage, as per your above post.

Pity we never found out, he was either a great troll or someone that had something to offer

I am wondering if anyone from the HFY school ever looked up Lee Chiang Po to compare his system to HFY?*

The historical problem for HFY is the fact that over the decade since it became public knowledge no one that teaches it or knows anything about it has emerged other than Garrett Gee and his students. As Rene Ritchie asked way back in 2003, if this was truly the fighting method used by the Hung societies for training revolutionary militias....and was taught to hundreds of people, why do we not see more surviving lineages today? Other styles associated with the secret societies can be found. The number of people trained on the Red Boats would have been very small compared to the number training as part of revolutionary militias. We can find multiple lineages tracing back to the Red Boats but none claiming connection to the Hung societies other than Garrett Gee. This is a real historical problem for HFY. Again....please no knee-jerk reaction attacks! This is a simple statement of fact. No agenda here. No political motivation here. Just an interest in WCK history!

But......if what Lee Chiang Po has written is true, this could very well be something that would buttress and support HFY history. If his "Hung Fa WCK" is more similar to HFY than it is to the Red Boat lineage systems, then what Garrett Gee has taught about HFY's background would get some validation and go a long ways towards making people like me eat my words!!!!**Prove me wrong! Please! I would love to see some validation of the HFY history! It would make the world of WCK even more interesting!*

Hello Keith,

As previously explained on this forum, we believe that wing chun has a single source of origin, and later was split among at least two societies – the opera society and the boxer society. Inside the boxer society Wing Chun was taught to the majority of the members with focus on fighting application vs Wing Chun system – this was known as Hung Fa Boxing. It is very similar to how Leung Jan taught in San Sik form in Gu Lo village as opposed to the formal SNT/Chum Kiu/Biu Gee of the WC system. From that standpoint, a tie to what Lee Chiang Po has put forth as his history is certainly plausible. Additionally, we've had a few more people come up in LA, NYC and different parts of the world claiming to know HFY from different sources. We're working through analyzing the veracity of each claim and if we can make contact as they come up.

Also, we've had some additional confirmation of our history in more recent generations but we typically don't talk about it in the public. For example but there are a few people in Chinatown here who have said they knew my Sigung. Though I have not met her personally, some of our more senior members here in San Francisco have met a Sijie to my Sifu who learned buddhism chi gung from Sigung. I believe Sifu Billy Lau may have been one of them, but I'm not 100% positive.

As I'm sure you know, it is very difficult to get reliable historical information past the timeframe of the Cultural Revolution. The people still with us who lived through that period of Chinese history don't say much. Now that you bring him up, I am reminded of what happened with Sum Nung and Rene Ritchie wherein Sum Nung was not happy with Rene writing his book on YKS Wing Chun. I believe the comment Sum Nung made was that if he wanted a book written, he would have written it himself. Sum Nung was a survivor of that revolution, and like most people from those days he was notoriously tight lipped – people had to be that way because their lives often depended on it.

There are lots of things about kung fu that stayed hidden for good reason – one example is the Snake and Crane wing chun guys that have been such a hot topic of discussion here on the forum lately. Even as little as 10 years ago, nobody had heard of them – why is that? It's likely because the people from that system still kept things close to the vest as a byproduct of the cultural revolution. Even recently when they had some character come to Baisi to them to take their information, the Snake and Crane people didn't give away too much. Coming from the cultural revolution background, the pervasive attitude is “you don't trust anyone you don't know” so for them (and us) to hold things back makes perfect sense.

FWIW, there is going to be more forthcoming on HFY history and system soon, our Sifu is working on a book project here in San Francisco which we expect to be completed in the next few years.
    Last edited by Eric_H; 04-06-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    Problem with Wing Chun history in general is that there isn't any scientific research on the subject [...]
    This is why in academia we refer to history as a 'humanities' subject distinct from the 'scientific' disciplines such as physics, chemistry or biochemistry for that matter. Half the bloody problem in wing chun is the use of this term 'scientific', which is used more as a rhetorical device to lend authority to the speaker. Sarah Palin and politicians will do the same type of thing, albeit using phrases such as 'speaking as a mother'. It does not have to be words that are used, just look at Sam Kwok dressing up in his Ip Man pantomime costume to attempt authenticity and credibility. I would go as far to say that I have yet to hear and read an explanation of wing chun or experience a way that it is taught, that meets with my criteria of what being 'scientific' actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    FWIW, there is going to be more forthcoming on HFY history and system soon, our Sifu is working on a book project here in San Francisco which we expect to be completed in the next few years.
    Thanks for the feedback Eric. Good points about the whole culture of secrecy. This has popped up here recently in regards to Cho Ga WCK as well. I certainly look forward to seeing whatever collaborating info has been turned up over the years. And I would buy a book by Gee Sifu without hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    This is why in academia we refer to history as a 'humanities' subject distinct from the 'scientific' disciplines such as physics, chemistry or biochemistry for that matter. Half the bloody problem in wing chun is the use of this term 'scientific', which is used more as a rhetorical device to lend authority to the speaker. Sarah Palin and politicians will do the same type of thing, albeit using phrases such as 'speaking as a mother'. It does not have to be words that are used, just look at Sam Kwok dressing up in his Ip Man pantomime costume to attempt authenticity and credibility. I would go as far to say that I have yet to hear and read an explanation of wing chun or experience a way that it is taught, that meets with my criteria of what being 'scientific' actually is.
    Scientific is often used the way you said . On the other hand , when we talk about history research there is a scientific method than includes data collecting , validation of the sources , analysis of data and many other things . Research has to be conducted by professional archeologists , historians and some times other experts are included in the process like linguist , chemists , medical doctors , depends of the situation . We do not have any of this in Wing Chun , we have some people who went to China or HK and collected old people's stories and they call them self researchers what they are certainly not .

Good to hear that some more information/details from HFY will be released in the near future. But for me, now, I would settle for some more video footage so I can see how the system looks.

Is there a reason why the only footage shown tends to be the HFY SNT form? As we've seen in other threads, there's a growing amount of footage being shared from lesser known WCK lineages - it's fascinating stuff.

HFY is taught publicly, so do you think there might be some footage shot and publicly shared?

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    Good to hear that some more information/details from HFY will be released in the near future. But for me, now, I would settle for some more video footage so I can see how the system looks.

Is there a reason why the only footage shown tends to be the HFY SNT form? As we've seen in other threads, there's a growing amount of footage being shared from lesser known WCK lineages - it's fascinating stuff.

HFY is taught publicly, so do you think there might be some footage shot and publicly shared?
    Hey BWPT,

We're looking forward to sharing some footage as soon. Right now we're in process of learning 4-gate chi sao from our Sifu, and that's one of the subjects we'd like to put on video.

EDIT:
    My mistake, after looking in to it, apparently our Facebook page isn't being updated currently (of which I was unaware).

The photos I was referencing have already been shared in the thread of one of the last workshops:
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...eb-22-Tempe-AZ
    Last edited by Eric_H; 04-07-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Made a mistake regarding our Facebook page

Hi Eric,

Is that the Hung Fa Yi FB group, or an open FB page?

Hi Eric,

Is that the Hung Fa Yi FB group, or an open FB page?
    If I may, it is also here on this forum

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...eb-22-Tempe-AZ
    Last edited by Savi; 04-07-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwyLzKHwWV4#t=276

Best footage I've seen of something other than the SLT form.

Thanks for the links, Eric, Savi, KPM.

I'd love to see more clips, so fingers-crossed. The terminology is very involved, though from the clip KPM posted of the training (in that particular clip) the HFY material in action looks kinda like most WCK, IMO.

So maybe I'm missing something. Some Chi Sao clips might be more illuminating, so I hope the HFY practitioners can record and upload some for us.

I'd love to see more clips, so fingers-crossed. The terminology is very involved, though from the clip KPM posted of the training (in that particular clip) the HFY material in action looks kinda like most WCK, IMO.

Yeah. It sure looked a whole lot like TWC to me! But let's not go there!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Yeah. It sure looked a whole lot like TWC to me! But let's not go there!
    Without a title I would think this is a training session i some of the TWC clubs in Serbia , besides the form everything else I did when I was still involved in TWC , footwork ,drills , "techniques " ...