Thread: Rare Kung Fu Video from the 1930 s

Rare Kung Fu Video from the 1930 s

Good stuff. I guess most of the people in the video are dead already. But again, hope is not necessary lost. Such good techniques are probably being carried forward in today.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

this is the early kmt guoshu program that failed horribly and led to creation of sanda.

styles of kung fu were included into the program not by combat effectiveness but by personal connections for money making contracts.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-13-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this is the early kmt guoshu program that failed horribly and led to creation of sanda.

styles of kung fu were included into the program not by combat effectiveness but by personal connections for money making contracts.
    all Guomindang programs failed, no organization and no real control of country... yes, did lead to san da

but also YES, lots of "old boy" and "back patting" in central Guoshu programs... no understanding even of term "combat effectivelness"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

National arts programs started at late 1920s.

1930s were golden age for national arts programs.

for military and civilian circles both.

Of course, every things dwindled after full scale Japanese invasion in 1937.

In 1948, at the heat of civil war, national arts programs suspended for good or nailed to the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

1930s were golden age for national arts programs.
    depends upon your perspective

Liu Jinsheng, the author of the 1935 “Chin Na Fa” manual

In recent years, the central government has begun to promote traditional martial arts, and every province has established martial arts training halls. Besides Chinese wrestling, the most popular arts are the Shaolin and Wudang styles of kung fu, both of which have methods of solo practice. Yet the practical applications of these arts is a subject that is never breached. Those who have practiced these arts twenty or thirty years have never defeated anyone who has practiced Western boxing or judo. Why is this? It is because the practitioners of Shaolin and Wudang styles only pay attention to the beauty of their forms — they lack practical methods and spirit and have lost the true transmissions of their ancestors.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

My teacher's wife was a major in the Chinese army and trained commandos and women's militia at Changsha (military academy - not high school or guoshu guan) during the 1930's. She was a senior student of Du Shen Wu and for a time Du's other senior student Wan Lai Sheng also taught at Changsha Military Academy too. So there was practical martial arts being taught at the time - not as portrayed in this film which is mostly high school students and cadets.