Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interestring notes

Interestring notes

"Bubishi 武備志" Ryuhokan Publishing Copyright 2014 Preserved, Translated, and Commentary by: Scot Mertz. Lulu Publications ISBN 978-1-304-13507-0
    Ruan Dong Interview
    – Sifu Dong thank you for sitting down with me. I would like to discuss your kung fu, and it’s history.

RD – My kung fu is called Ming He Quan, it was created by a woman named Fang Qiliang (born as Fang LiShui) about 350 years ago. She learned martial arts from her father, Fang Zheng Dong, he taught her the Shaolin style (Ahrat boxing) when she was young.

– Sifu I heard stories that Qiliang was a nun, and I have also heard that she was married. Which story is true?

RD – Both stories are true. Fang Zheng Dong had a close friend he used to demonstrate with named Zhen Xie. They were so close that they arranged their children to marry. One day Zhen Xie had been demonstrating his fighting skills and started feeling sick. He died shortly after. Zhen Xie’s son Zhen Shi looked down on the Fang family because they were poor. Zhen Shi eventually married Fang Qiliang but they were very unhappy. After a few months Fang Qiliang left Zhen Shi. She had traveled to Da Tian, Zhang Zhou and stayed at the temple as a nun. It was during her time as a nun that she created the white crane system.

– Sifu how many crane systems are there?

RD – There are four families of crane. Shaking Crane, Flying Crane, Calling Crane, and Eating Crane. They all came from Fang Qiliang’s White Crane. While they each have their own characteristics they all use the same core principles.

– Can you tell me about your lineage?

RD – I learned from my father, who had learned from ZhongCiang Xie. He was the founder of Calling Crane. Master Xie’s had two teachers Yi Hou Chen and Pan Yuba (also known as DaChong Lin). Pan Yuba studied at an early age from a monk named QingDing who lived in a temple near GaoGai Mountain near Fuzhou city.

Master QingDing was famous for making medicine, he would visit villages all over Fujian to bring medicine to the sick people.

It was rumored that QingDing learned his kung fu from a monk called the Iron Bead Monk, who was very famous in the north and the south. The Iron Bead Monk learned directly at the White Crane Temple.

– I have heard from several karate people that Okinawan Karate developed out of White Crane Kung Fu. What is your opinion on this?

RD – I too have heard these stories. In the 1960’s and 1970’s several Okinawan’s came to demonstrate their karate. At the time it was encouraged to teach Okinawan’s Kung Fu to increase tourism. From most of what I have seen I cannot see much of a link between Okinawan Karate and White Crane. The principles of movement are too different.

– I have also heard of Karate teachers bringing over Kung Fu masters to teach karate in Okinawa. Have you heard about this practice?

RD – Years ago I was approached by people wanting me to come to Japan to teach Kung Fu. I would demonstrate my Kung Fu for them, and most of them would leave after and I would never hear from them again. I think even the Okinawan masters could see that White Crane is very different from their art. This is not good or bad, but is just something very different.

Most people don’t know this, but in China there was a ban on Kung Fu for many years. It was illegal to practice until the formation of Wushu. I think this was for tourism. After this we had to change most things. It became about demonstrations. If karate was related to Kung Fu I feel that the style of Kung Fu may have disappeared while the ban was in place.

Many of the Wushu bodies encourage the karate practictioners to come to China. It helps tourism.

– Over the years do you think your Kung Fu has changed or stayed the same as what you learned from your father?

RD – It has changed. Now I practice the principles of White Crane, but many of the forms now have my own feeling in them, the movements may have not changed much, if I go left or right, sometimes I can’t remember. It is more about the feeling and the moment for me anymore.

– Do you feel that any of the older styles of Kung Fu were preserved during the ban on Kung Fu?

RD – Maybe some of the old styles exist, more research needs to be completed before I can answer that. I think during the ban everything changed.

– How do you feel about your interpretation of your Kung Fu?

RD – I think my principles are sound, but like everyone else here in China; there are no real masters anymore. Most of the people who teach to foreigners are frauds or only teach for money. Sometimes I feel like a fraud myself because I take on foreign groups from time to time.

– Do you think this feeling is across the Kung Fu systems or just in White Crane?

RD – I do not know. I think my generation knows the truth about this fact. Maybe the younger generation truly thinks of themselves as great masters. I do not know. There is too much pride in the younger generation. Many of them don’t know of the hardship to even bring Kung Fu back to China, even as Wushu.

– Thank you Sifu for your time for this interview.
    Last edited by Minghequan; 05-20-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Hi Ron

Ive herd some people say that the style called chuka shaolin phoenix eye fist is not a Southern Mantis style but a form of Fujian White Crane founded by the nun Leow Fah Shih Koo , Maybe Chuka Shaolin is some kind of Hakka version of Fujian White Crane .

chuka = chu gar or Chu family style.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hi David

For years people have said Chuka was some kinde of Southern Mantis or Chu Gar Gao others have said it is some kind of White Crane even the Grandmaster of Chuka Cheong Cheng Leong thinks it is from White Crane .

Hello Ron

Hello,
    thank you for sharing this. Could you please say where it came from... who wrote this and when ?.
    Thanks again.

David, You have done nothing but attack me on thisforum and now you want me to help you? Or give you info? Sorry.

Ron Goninan
    A seeker of the way

Hello Ron

Thank you for your reply,
    please don't apologise, your answer simply confirms the validity of your post.

Actually your so wrong, so very, very wrong, The actual interview undertaken in 2008 has been lifted with full permission of the author from a recently published and fully copyrighted book by Lulu Publications ISBN 978-1-304-13507-0

So now take your sad and regrettable assertions and politics somewhere else!

Ron Goninan
    A seeker of the way

Hello Ron

That's great !, thank you Ron.

David, your welcome!

Hello Ron
    please don't apologise, your answer simply confirms the validity of your post.
    Perhaps an apology for casting aspersions on me regarding the validity of my post would be nice?

Ron Goninan
    A seeker of the way

Hello Ron

Ron, there are some aspects of this post which baffle me... are you aware of the 'Xian Zhang Bei' monument in Fuzhou ?. It was erected by both Japanese and Chinese martial artists some years ago in recognition of the contribution made by White Crane towards Karate, it's quite prominent, and Ruan Dong took me there to see it and explain it's significance. I will try to post some photos later (work now!).
    I apologise if my post caused you any upset, but I do feel there is some discrepancy somewhere here, I will look into this !.

Hi David,

Yes I noted this as well and even a number of White Crane people have noted the same monument so the statement made is somewhat surprising. But the others have also made the same claim so it is a but of a mystery.

No worries about the other.

David, I know we have had issues in the past most of my making and some not. Without re-hashing what has been done and dusted a thousand times over all I can say to you is my sincerity for White Crane is genuine and hopefully will prove honourable as time goes on. I am working on several projects in relation to future training so maybe we can meet one day?

In the meantime David I extend to you my hand in sincere friendship and in the hope we can leave the past misgivings and actions in the past. I hope you will accept my hand and we can maybe one day become friends again.

One thing, you posted in reply to one Hendnrik Santos about the hand-positioning of the Fang Qiniang Statue and the illustration:

Name:  Hand Positions.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  85.2 KB

May I please ask a few questions:

1/. Do you believe the Paishi Hand form has a special significance in White Crane and what are your thoughts of relation to the Zhaoyang as has been mentioned?

2/. What of the second Hand positioning shown? What is its name and significance to White Crane? It looks a lot like a variation of the Blood Pool Hand of the Wu Bei Zhi or the Character 8 Hand?

3/. Lastly watching footage of Master Ruan Dong it has been observed the rather curious way in which he would perform or make a Fist (with the last two to three knuckles extended). What can you share with me about this? I have my own ideas but would love to hear your view).

Once again, David I extend to you my hand in sincere friendship and in the hope we can leave the past misgivings and actions in the past. I hope you will accept my hand and we can maybe one day become friends again.

Ron Goninan
    A seeker of the way

Hello Ron

some interesting questions there, but before we get into that I really would like to 'clear up' the issue in-hand (one step at a time Ron !).
    Lulu Publications... ISBN 978-1-304-13507-0 ...That doesn't come up with anything other than children's books.
    Lulu Publications is a self-publishing service which looks great !, on their website they offer the opportunity for people of all ages and from all walks of life to write and publish their own material.
    They do have a couple of Eric Ling books there... I might order those anyway !, but before I do , could you please confirm the name of book and the author ?.
    Many thanks for your valuable time in this.

David sounds like your kind of doubting me here. The book is entitled "Bubishi 武備志" Ryuhokan Publishing Copyright 2014 Preserved, Translated, and Commentary by: Scot Mertz. You can look up Scots email on his web site.

That said I hope we can move on.

Did you receive my Private Message as you have not replied?

if you don't want to share re: the illustration and other question put forward to you then that's okay.

Ron Goninan
    A seeker of the way

Hello Ron

Name:  vlcsnap-2014-05-03-20h44m35s110.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  87.2 KB

Apologies for the delay in sending this - internet here is poor and it just goes off sometimes...

What I offer in answer to your post are simply my own observations.

The 'Flat and Vertical' hands ?, I believe them to be very important throughout all of the Fujian Crane styles. Flat palm is used to block in most all forms, be it in any dimension. The Roujian demonstrates it's ability to strike in many ways.

The vertical palm is a hook, hence the safe thumb position, it diverts at close/low quarters, look at the final (Feeding sections) of RD's Babulian, then consider the drop in body weight to realise the enormous strength incurred.... It's a wrist strike...it has many purposes.

I once asked RD about that knuckle, he told me it was the mark of a male crane, there was a lot of laughter that followed... To me it's a signature that emphasizes the vertical hand positions , nothing more.

My thoughts on the Zhaoyang ?, simply that it is a Chinese word with many meanings, a popular example being to 'welcome the sunrise'... Strange, when I asked a (non-martial) Chinese friend earlier today what she thought of when I said Zhaoyang, the first thing she did was to raise both hands and make those flat palms... just like in the book.

I do Know that the name WingChun is not recognised here, Chinese people call it YongChun boxing.... that should say something, to me the similarities to Fujian crane are much more than just coincidental.

Theres a picture of the Xian Zhang Bei here, it's covered in many tiny characters, much smaller than the picture shows, and it tells the story of how Fujian Crane was taken to Japan. Ruan Dong was very aware of these connections.

Regarding the the interview above, I have read elsewhere tha Ruan Dong said that his kung fu was weak and no longer to be considered a fighting skill, Ron, that is something he would say to people he didn't want to teach or share with. You had to go there, be accepted and train hard to know what was what. I remember sitting with him comparing teeth we had lost from fighting. And please understand that he, as a leading martial artist of his generation, experienced more than slight persecution because kung fu was considered to be unsociable, something he would not talk about for years after, and even then with great reluctance. He would have been foolish to stand up and start shouting about how great or powerful it all was... He simply would not have done that anyway, he was a good man.

Thanks for the stuff you wrote, I read it, but the truth is Ron I can see where you're at. I read so much on this forum about the history and evoloution of present day kung fu, it's good that we have that, and although I can see it's importance, I don't understand it all and I don't really need to. I'm lucky, I know where my kung fu comes from, and where it is, I think I know where it's gone and where it's going, and that's enough for me.

Best Wishes.