Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
I know what you were getting at BPWT, and it has more to do with using equipment. Of course you can't take a speed ball or heavy bag into the ring!

I'd agree that Wing Chun forms and drills are about training skills such as timing, speed and positioning. What I meant was, as a boxer do you train a cross one way and use it another way in application, or train a shoulder roll against the cross, but then use it another way in application?

Most boxers I have seen are doing things in training that look exactly like what they do in the ring. They don't use a particular stance or position in training to practice punching or defending, and then abandon that stance when they get into the ring. They don't practice combo's on the pads (kind of their equivalent of forms training) and then do those combo's differently in the ring. Same for BJJ. They don't do their guard or mount or side position one way in training and a different way in the ring. Both Boxing and BJJ train the way they fight and are recognizable in any sparring situation.

This is a good thread, as WCK use in the ring does seem to be 'problematic'. A boxer trains and then when using his art in application, looks like a boxer. A BJJ practitioner trains his art and then in the ring/on the mats, looks like a BBJ guy (even to fairly untrained eyes).

Exactly! Now maybe Alan is onto something. Maybe what he and his guys are doing in the ring is how to make Wing Chun work. Maybe we need to drop all the traditional training we have been doing for generations and focus on how to make Wing Chun work in that MMA-type environment. To do that we probably don't need the forms, the dummy, or most of the rest.
Western style training is different than the type used in wing chun so you are comparing apples and oranges. The Wing chun method of training is based on the Confucian model of you show a student one corner and it is expected he should figure out the other three himself.