Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Wing Chun KO in MMA - Iron Wolves Fighter Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun

Best Wing Chun KO in MMA - Iron Wolves Fighter Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun

Hi Guys

This my fighter Josh 4-0 PRO mma with a big KO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RekowrObGTI

Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun teacher Alan Orr's student Josh Kaldani lands a knockdown in the first round and the best Wing Chun punch KO in MMA in the second round.

The Iron Wolves Team is lead by Alan Orr and has for many years been putting CSL Wing Chun to test in the Cage and Ring.

Some people will ask where is the Wing Chun as they think you should see basic training drills. In application you see the result of our training - power, structure of movement, timing, positional control, angles of punches. You will see our CSL Chinese Boxing Skills. Wing Chun is Chinese Boxing.

MMA is Mixed Martial Arts so we train the arts we need.

Stand up -
    Alan Orr is a Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun 8th Degree Black Belt under his Master Robert Chu

Ground game
    Alan Orr is a Black Belt in BJJ under his Master World Champion Leo Negao

Also Alan has a background in Catch Wrestling. plus some training in Sambo and Judo.

http://www.alanorrwingchunacademy.com/

http://www.alanorr.com/

Nice to see the concepts and attributes of wing chun being applied in MMA. This is something I am exploring in own training at the moment. My fear is that many wing chun people will not appreciate the video because they are constrained with what wing chun should look like in a fight rather than what it can achieve.

I think we have all seen the videos on YouTube of wing chun exponents being made to look silly and their art failing them. Time to move forward whilst embracing the past but not to be defined by it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcaz View Post
    My fear is that many wing chun people will not appreciate the video because they are constrained with what wing chun should look like in a fight rather than what it can achieve.
    Well, I can appreciate the theory Alan covers in his clips. He seems to be one of the few who understands the difference between training form and the abstract nature of the application of Wing Chun, as well as how to bridge the two.

That said however, a big overhand thrown by a guy who trains WC doesn't make it a "Wing Chun punch". It's indistinguishable from the same punch any other MMA fighter who's never trained WC would throw, and is not an "angle of punch" in any WC lineage I'm familiar with.

At the end of the day, it got the job done. So whatever. Call it whatever pleases you.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    ,,,, and is not an "angle of punch" in any WC lineage I'm familiar with.

Hummm. Let's see, you have the Hook punch, Tai Kuen, Chap kuen, Doi Gok Kuen, Hoi Faan Kuen, these are punches that works in angles.

Take care,

Every punch works at an angle.

That's true, all eight of them.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by paulcaz View Post
    Nice to see the concepts and attributes of wing chun being applied in MMA. This is something I am exploring in own training at the moment. My fear is that many wing chun people will not appreciate the video because they are constrained with what wing chun should look like in a fight rather than what it can achieve.

I like Alan Orr and what he is doing. But watching this clip I would not have thought this was Wing Chun if it wasn't in the tag line. To me, this is MMA with some WCK concepts included. This is not straight up Wing Chun. Wing Chun looks like Wing Chun because that is what it is. You can't do boxing with some Tan Sau's, Bong Sau's and WCK concepts and call it Wing Chun. That's Jeet Kune Do! I certainly appreciate the skill and athleticism shown in the video. But it gives me no idea of what his Wing Chun knowledge might be, or if he even does Wing Chun!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I like Alan Orr and what he is doing. But watching this clip I would not have thought this was Wing Chun if it wasn't in the tag line. To me, this is MMA with some WCK concepts included. This is not straight up Wing Chun. Wing Chun looks like Wing Chun because that is what it is.
    Here's the thing you know what wing chun practiced in unrealistic settings looks like as in chi sau and san sau and so forth, and you think this is what it will look like when things get really hot and heavy when going all out in fighting. That viewpoint is not based on experience really doing that or even seeing it done like that since you cannot point me to anyone who is able to do it like you think it should be done. Why is it do you think that the guys who train wing chun like the Orr team or Obasi or anyone else does not end up looking like how you think they should? Did it ever occur to you that maybe it is because you have unrealistic ideas of what wing chun is and how it works and that maybe guys like Orr simply have a realistic idea that comes from genuine realistic experience? In other words, they are just much more advanced than you?

It is howling funny how guys will say yeah they could beat me silly but they just aren't doing it right!

You can't do boxing with some Tan Sau's, Bong Sau's and WCK concepts and call it Wing Chun. That's Jeet Kune Do! I certainly appreciate the skill and athleticism shown in the video. But it gives me no idea of what his Wing Chun knowledge might be, or if he even does Wing Chun!
    It has absolutely nothing to do with wing chun knowledge and everrything to do with skill that comes from the training. You can't see it because you are not there.

What i would be concerned about is what my Martial Art looked like in the streets or in a war setting . Basics are everything and being able to run the opposite direction from your opponet to .

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I like Alan Orr and what he is doing. But watching this clip I would not have thought this was Wing Chun if it wasn't in the tag line. To me, this is MMA with some WCK concepts included. This is not straight up Wing Chun.
    KPM, I have to agree. I would not have recognised the WC either. I've watched the clips where Alan explains how what he does is WC, and he makes a lot of sense. So since he's the coach and he can see it, I'll take his word for that. I just wish I could see a bit more WC in the mix, like when Alan himself demonstrates.

Still, the results are impressive. Kudos to Josh Kaldani, his coach Alan Orr, and to the Iron Wolves.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Here's the thing you know what wing chun practiced in unrealistic settings looks like as in chi sau and san sau and so forth, and you think this is what it will look like when things get really hot and heavy when going all out in fighting. That viewpoint is not based on experience really doing

Yep, there it is! There's the mantra again. Thanks Twen!

Why is it do you think that the guys who train wing chun like the Orr team or Obasi or anyone else does not end up looking like how you think they should? Did it ever occur to you that maybe it is because you have unrealistic ideas of what wing chun is and how it works and that maybe guys like Orr simply have a realistic idea that comes from genuine realistic experience? In other words, they are just much more advanced than you?

Did it ever occur to you that it is because they spend a large amount of time training MMA and not straight-up Wing Chun? Why is it that you think the guys that train Wing Chun WOULDN'T be doing any identifiable Wing Chun in a sparring clip? Do you think that the Alan Orr student in that clip is doing anything that you would have recognized as Wing Chun if it hadn't been named in the tag line? I have all of Alan Orr's videos. There is good stuff in those videos. When Alan is teaching and demo'ing it looks like Wing Chun! When he is doing Chi Sao it is obviously Wing Chun. So why is it when they take a step back out of Chi Sao range and into a cage it stops looking anything like what Alan was demo'ing or doing in Chi Sao? Shouldn't it carry over? Why train one way and fight a different way? My answer.........? Because they are doing MMA, not Wing Chun! It may be MMA with a Wing Chun "twist", but it is MMA nonetheless and not Wing Chun. I'm sure you know the old Army adage: "you fight the way you train." If you spend the majority of the time training for MMA, you are just naturally going to fight like any other MMA fighter. If you spend the majority of the time sparring with whatever works, then you are naturally going to fight with whatever things came up for you that worked with the guys you train with. That won't be good Wing Chun basics unless you spend the same amount of time or even more time training specifically those Wing Chun basics and work on bringing them out in your sparring. "Training realistically" is not the answer. Realistically training your Wing Chun is what we want, and sparring is NOT the only way to do that.

Don't get me wrong. Kudos and congrats to Josh and Alan and the rest of the Iron Wolves team! Great job!

It has absolutely nothing to do with wing chun knowledge and everrything to do with skill that comes from the training. You can't see it because you are not there.

No. It has everything to do with WHICH particular skill you are training. And that particular skill should be based on Wing Chun knowledge. Otherwise why in the heck are you bothering with Wing Chun? Why aren't you just training MMA, or boxing, or kickboxing?????? You can't see that....well, I'm not sure why. You seem to have this weird fixation on sparring and telling everyone how terrible their Wing Chun is because they don't "train realistically."
    Last edited by KPM; 04-15-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    KPM, I have to agree. I would not have recognised the WC either. I've watched the clips where Alan explains how what he does is WC, and he makes a lot of sense. So since he's the coach and he can see it, I'll take his word for that. I just wish I could see a bit more WC in the mix, like when Alan himself demonstrates.

Still, the results are impressive. Kudos to Josh Kaldani, his coach Alan Orr, and to the Iron Wolves.
    Thanks Steve! I agree. Kudos to Josh and the Iron Wolves!!

I would like to understand how the KO punch was a "Wing Chun punch".

To me, it is indistinguishable from the same big overhand any MMA guy who's never done WC would throw.

To me, it is indistinguishable from the same big overhand any MMA guy who's never done WC would throw.
    I agree. Sure, Wing Chun has punches that come from various angles. But they are delivered with Wing Chun mechanics. That punch sure looked like a generic overhand punch that any MMA fighter would be throwing.

I think Orr has explained this before. This is my explanation not his. Wing chun is not in the form or shape but in the substance. Most people are stuck at the form or shape level of training. The form or shapes are what is taught to beginners as a means to learn the substance but they are not the end. Once we catch on to the substance by practicing the form or shapes we no longer are restricted to form or shapes since we can express the substance without them. You become free form in your actions. The wing chun punch for example involves hitting with your structure or your center in a particular way.