Thread: Best Wing Chun KO in MMA - Iron Wolves Fighter Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Maybe we need to drop all the traditional training we have been doing for generations and focus on how to make Wing Chun work in that MMA-type environment. To do that we probably don't need the forms, the dummy, or most of the rest.
    No hear is the part you keep refusing to hear that the traditional training is unrealistic training and that it ALONE will not give you wing chun fighting skills or let you understand wing chun fighting. Just like in boxing, you NEED the unrealistic training but you also need more. That the next step and this is the same one taken by the fighters in the past also is to start trying to make your training work in fighting. In the old days they just went out and fought and learned the hard way. Today you can go train with a fight trainer and spar and learn that way. When you do this you will begin to see that your unrealistic ideas and skills do not work and then you will begin to think realistically and transform your skills.

No hear is the part you keep refusing to hear that the traditional training is unrealistic training and that it ALONE will not give you wing chun fighting skills or let you understand wing chun fighting.

No, I hear you and and agree. Absolutely it ALONE will not give you fighting skills. It has to be trained realistically...and I have always agreed with that. Where I disagree with you is in what "realistic training" actually means.

Just like in boxing, you NEED the unrealistic training but you also need more.

What unrealistic training do they do in boxing?

That the next step and this is the same one taken by the fighters in the past also is to start trying to make your training work in fighting. In the old days they just went out and fought and learned the hard way.

The old days? Like, let's say Wong Shun Leung's days? He and his contemparies when out and fought with their Wing Chun. WSL even made changes to what Yip Man taught him based on his fighting experience. But it still looks like Wing Chun. What little Bei Mo footage we have of Wing Chun is recognizable Wing Chun. It doesn't look anything like MMA.

You can look at that as this gives you the dance steps you can use and you can only use those dance steps or it isn't wing chun. Yes many in wing chun see things that way. They see wing chun as form. The problem with that view is that as soon as people try to do that to fight only using those dance steps they see things don't work like that. That's why we never see anyone doing it.

Ah! Dancing is a good analogy! Its not the "dance steps", its the technique and style and form that makes the dance. When someone dances the Waltz, it looks like a Waltz regardless of the steps/specific choreography used. When someone dances the Cha Cha, it looks like the Cha Cha regardless of the steps/specific choreography used.
    When someone competes in dancing they are judge by how closely to the "ideal form" for that specific dancing style that they are...whether Samba, Ballroom, Jazz, etc. Yes you have to emulate the style of the dance or its not "right." You can't enter a Samba competition and dance the Cha Cha and expect to win! Each dance is recognizable regardless of any choreography. Wing Chun is not that rigid. Wing Chun is adaptable. But it still has to fit certain parameters to be considered Wing Chun. If you are throwing Jabs and crosses it ain't Wing Chun! Now your Wing Chun training may have contributed to your timing and distance and any number of things and made your jab or cross much better. But that doesn't make a jab and cross Wing Chun. You can't just do any ole thing you want and say its Wing Chun. Simple as that.

GlennR said this in the other thread. I think it is pretty appropriate and a good assessment, so I hope he won't mind me reposting it here:

WC is a self defense style, something happens, you explode, control the centreline and hopefully end the situation quickly and viciously.
    My favourite description is that its an ambush style, the assailant just doesnt know what hit him.... very very quickly it is over.

Boxing, as we know it today, is a combat style with the very high chance of the fight going on for round after round. You have time to work your opponent out, create opportunity, set traps, feel him out, change the rhythm of the fight and so on......

The scenarios are VERY different and the styles take this into account.