Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Wing Chun KO in MMA - Iron Wolves Fighter Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Applied WingChun? Yes you are correct, Sifu. If you were using applied Muay Thai in an MMA format there would be much less contention. Fact is, if you and your guys are absorbed in TCMA WingChun there will be a big difference in that application as opposed to Korean base or Okinawan base or Taiji base. * Your fighter caught his opponent off guard and he never was able to recoup, especially in the psychological. They will be paying more attention to that attack strategy in future bouts. (The Art of War). Keep up the good work!
    Many thanks

So now I'm a liar too? That's seems about par for this thread given everything else I've been called! And really...."heightened emotional state"??? Does anyone find that rather ironic besides me?

Quote Originally Posted by dlcox View Post
    KPM Wrote:

At this point in the game, Yes I am.

Yeah I can, but I'm not going to. Your dogmatic approach to Wing Chun has given you blinders and won't allow you too see anything but the narrow view before you. Besides, you are in such a heightened state you wont listen to anyone or reason.

I'm crazy, that's rich coming from the guy that feels the need to twist things around and write several 1000 word dissertations about how the CSL people aren't doing their version of Wing Chun that it's "obviously" something else. You called Alan Orr out, he gave you his answer. You didn't agree with his answer and continued to tell him what his guy was doing in your opinion. Repeat for 20 some pages. In my book that's calling the man a liar. Obviously he and his supporters felt as if this was also the case as they have call you out on it.

Let me re-phrase that. As far as the discussion concerning the topic of this thread, no sides. As for whose side am I on concerning your childish, overly obsessed, unwilling to let things go, twist things around, cherry picking, poor me, why won't anyone listen to my whiny a$s attitude and behavior. I'm with Alan and the general consensus.

I never "freaked" out on you, I simply called you out. It's obvious that in your heightened emotional state that you couldn't handle it. I see all these long posts your typing up as nothing more than damage control for your image and a need for validation of your views to the point of obsession.

You still don't see what this has been all about? That's amazing, perhaps someone else can explain it to you because apparently being straight forward and pointing out the obvious isn't working.

Alan, with all do respect I am not your champion, you'll have to deal with this thick headed donkey of a man on your own concerning his points of argument. My suggestion to you is to ignore him and BPWT.

Keith, my only issue has been with your behavior not you opinion. Alan and his crew only lashed out at you and BPWT in retaliation. Here's a suggestion Keith. Submit a clip of yourself using your idea of Wing Chun in an unrehearsed fight, no silly Chi Sau stuff, but an actual fight.

My guess is that it won't happen because your afraid of receiving criticism. Criticism that you are more that willing to dish out but not receive.

That's why I liked your post. Balanced view. I don't need people to agree with me. People can have their own views and we can still all be friendly and not agree or agree. As you pointed out some don't listen to anything said, which is what causes the bad feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    please explain to this stubborn clueless low-level idiot how the quite obvious western boxing elements we have seen in those clips are actually all based upon and conform to Wing Chun concepts.
    Why not post the clip on a Western Boxing forum and see what they think?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Why not post the clip on a Western Boxing forum and see what they think?
    You're kidding right? I posted it in-house on our own general forum and look at the reaction I got!

How about you leave me out of the conversation now,

Nope. I'm not going to let you off that easy Dave. Because you see, I'm not a liar and I'm not stupid and clueless. But I can be stubborn and hard-headed and sometimes don't know when to stop. So against my better judgment I am going to try one more time. Here was our previous exchange:

I said:
    Ok. Maybe I missed it. So I will repeat my request I wrote just above...... please explain to this stubborn clueless low-level idiot how the quite obvious western boxing elements we have seen in those clips are actually all based upon and conform to Wing Chun concepts. Can you do it Dave?

You replied:
    Yeah I can, but I'm not going to.

Here is that sparring clip again for review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMpcM2Rywv0

Just watching Josh, here are the elements which, to me, look more like western boxing than Wing Chun:

1. assuming a wide stance with the body leaned forward and the chin tucked down and the hands up in front of the face generally leaving the center open
    2. using bobbing and weaving and generally "bouncy" footwork
    3. throwing wide punches while leaning the upper body to the side
    4. moving into the opponent with the head down essentially driving forward with the forehead while hiding behind boxing gloves
    5. executing a punch to the abdomen by lunging in while leaning forward at the waist

Again...to me... this looks more like boxing than Wing Chun. But you said you could explain how this is actually Wing Chun. I think YOU are the liar Dave! I don't think you can do it. So there it is. Please explain to us all in clear and concise language how each of the elements noted above that we see Josh doing in the clip are based upon and conform to Wing Chun concepts and principles. I'm perfectly willing to admit that they are! And I am perfectly willing to apologize for calling YOU a liar if you can do actually do it! Here's your chance to bring this long painful thread to a close!
    Last edited by KPM; 04-27-2014 at 04:41 AM.

Just watching Josh, here are the elements which, to me, look more like western boxing than Wing Chun:

1. assuming a wide stance with the body leaned forward and the chin tucked down and the hands up in front of the face generally leaving the center open
    4. moving into the opponent with the head down essentially driving forward with the forehead while hiding behind boxing gloves
    5. executing a punch to the abdomen by lunging in while leaning forward at the waist

Again...to me... this looks more like boxing than Wing Chun. But you said you could explain how this is actually Wing Chun. I think YOU are the liar Dave! I don't think you can do it. So there it is. Please explain to us all in clear and concise language how each of the elements noted above that we see Josh doing in the clip are based upon and conform to Wing Chun concepts and principles. I'm perfectly willing to admit that they are! And I am perfectly willing to apologize for calling YOU a liar if you can do actually do it! Here's your chance to bring this long painful thread to a close!
    It LOOKS like it LOOKS like it LOOKS like. You are hard headed lol. That you keep talking about what it LOOKS like says you are stuck on the model trying to LOOK like the model. You think let me repeat it for emphasis think think think think that when you fight your wing chun should LOOK like the model that you are fighting with the model. You cannot see beyond that because your experience hasn't taken you there yet.

Refer back to my tennis analogy. Can you hit a model forehand or backhand? Yes sometimes but most of the time no. It's easier when your opponent feeds you or is not challenging. But when you are really pushed your ground strokes will LOOK nothing like the model in the books.

The concepts are only a guide to help you not rules you are bound by.

But I will not tell Alan Orr or Robert Chu that what is obviously a representation of thier art in a realistic situation that's it's not Wing Chun because "I can't see it".

You can't do it can you Dave? You are just as "low level" and "stupid" and "clueless" as BPWT and I. But what's worse, is that you LIED about your level of understanding!

It LOOKS like it LOOKS like it LOOKS like. You are hard headed lol. That you keep talking about what it LOOKS like says you are stuck on the model trying to LOOK like the model. You think let me repeat it for emphasis think think think think that when you fight your wing chun should LOOK like the model that you are fighting with the model.

Yep! I admitted that I'm stubborn and hard-headed! So how about you take a stab at it Twen? Can you do it? Can you explain to this hard-headed "stuck on a model" guy how all those things I pointed out are all based upon and conform to Wing Chun concepts? Because I admit that things don't have to look just like they do in training and practice. I watched those other two sparring clips and they don't look like precise "drilling" Wing Chun either. But they still look like Wing Chun. So how about you help me out and explain how Wing Chun concepts are at the base of all those things I pointed out? I'm not saying they aren't! I'm not saying Alan Orr and his guys don't do Wing Chun! I'm just being honest and saying I don't personally see it in those clips. Call me hard-headed. But no amount of demeaning me by calling me "stupid" and "low level" and "clueless" without actually answering my question is going to change my mind. You're as hard-headed as I am! You don't see that?

How about anyone else that has been chiming in here? Can you do it?

You're kidding right? I posted it in-house on our own general forum and look at the reaction I got!
    Kind of, but don't you think if all you're seeing is Western Boxing that those on a boxing forum would recognize this as being what they do?

You already got other Wing Chun practitioners' opinions who mostly say you don't seem to understand applied Wing Chun. It sure would be interesting if the boxers were to say you don't understand boxing either if that's what you see in the clips.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    It LOOKS like it LOOKS like it LOOKS like. You are hard headed lol. That you keep talking about what it LOOKS like says you are stuck on the model trying to LOOK like the model. You think let me repeat it for emphasis think think think think that when you fight your wing chun should LOOK like the model that you are fighting with the model. You cannot see beyond that because your experience hasn't taken you there yet.

Refer back to my tennis analogy. Can you hit a model forehand or backhand? Yes sometimes but most of the time no. It's easier when your opponent feeds you or is not challenging. But when you are really pushed your ground strokes will LOOK nothing like the model in the books.

The concepts are only a guide to help you not rules you are bound by.
    Hi,

You are right regarding the tennis example, in that it impossible to always hit a perfect/textbook backhand all of the time (though Roger Federer comes pretty darn close).

However, looking at a backhand: You can hit it with slice, topspin or hit it flat. Federer's topspin backhand is different to, say Nadal's... but they both follow the 'concepts' as it were. Start low, hit over the ball. And they both have the correct 'technical' attributes too: plant the foot, bend the knee, particular grip (though Nadal's is typically more exaggerated), use of the shoulder, etc. And they both have the same 'result' (the ball rapid dips down when it reaches a certain part of its path/flight). Also, typically, they are both employing the same 'strategy' too when they use the backhand.

You can tell both are playing a backhand because of the above - you wouldn't confuse it with the swing of baseball bat, or a golf club.

Even someone like McEnroe, who appeared to be the exception to the rule in terms of having really unorthodox ground stokes, was still following the same conceptual, technical and strategic "rules". Tennis players are bound by them, even if we can see differences in style and tactics when the game is played.

Is Wing Chun the same? I would say yes. No two people will move exactly the same, no one can perform something perfectly all of the time (rarely once ) and different lineages might have a different style or flavour to the system... but regardless, I would argue that whatever lineage you're from, you should be sticking to the concepts, strategy and technical requirements as much as you can (to me, all three of these things are the 'model').

If you don't follow these three things, can you say you are doing Wing Chun? Someone just scrapping in the street using whatever they can in the moment is also not following these three things - are they doing Wing Chun too? If particular concepts, strategy and technical requirements don't make Wing Chun what it is... then what does?

Again...to me... this looks more like boxing than Wing Chun. But you said you could explain how this is actually Wing Chun... Please explain to us all in clear and concise language how each of the elements noted above that we see in the clip are based upon and conform to Wing Chun concepts and principles. I'm perfectly willing to admit that they are!
    This is the point exactly. Those of us who can't see Wing Chun here are all happy to admit we are wrong if the CSL WCK guys, or others, can explain how the above 5 points fit with their Wing Chun. Every martial art has concepts and strategy, and all have some technical requirements too (if not, every style would look the same in the classroom). Alan, in his various clips, has spoken about why they do certain things as opposed to doing other things - that is an indication that their style/method does have concepts, strategy and technical requirements - and that is why Alan has talked about body mechanics and body methods, etc, positioning and timing, etc... because CSL WCK clearly has a model too, just like all arts do.

How do you (anyone reading who clearly sees Wing Chun in that sparring clip) explain the 5 points in relation to the CSL WCK or their own lineage of Wing Chun?

Many people have posted many times on this thread, so people are clearly willing to invest some time into it - why not invest a little more to explain detailed answers to the above 5 points?

It is surely worth it, if only for the satisfaction of having KPM and myself say, "Sorry guys. I was wrong and you were right. You've now explained it, it makes sense and I fully admit that yes, I wasn't able to see what you were saying - but now I can. Again, my apologies."

But I think it should be possible to explain in some detail. To just say "We train Wing Chun, we use it, and it works and so that is your explanation," doesn't really help get everyone on the same page.

I decided to leave the thread as I was the main person objecting to what others were saying, so I figured if I bow out then the thread can just slide down the list, but seeing as people are still talking about it anyway...

Or why not start with something much simpler before addressing the 5 points that KPM listed.

Why not start by answering a question that Alan posed earlier. What is Wing Chun?

Alan, Chris, LFJ, tc101 - how do you define Wing Chun?

I lied about nothing tweeker,

Ok. Then prove it! All you have to do is give a nice concise explanation as to how each of the points I see in that clip conform to WCK concepts. After all, that is what this ENTIRE thread has been about! You were the one that said you could it! Its right here in writing! Do I need to copy if for you again? So come on! Let's see it! Prove me wrong!

You see Dave, for some weird reason you chose to pop into this thread and launch an attack on me personally. You skipped over the fact that it takes two sides to carry on any argument and chose to single out one side. And you skipped over the fact that I wasn't even the one doing most of the posting, BPWT was! You accused me of having some kind of agenda and some nefarious purpose and intent. When I explained what my intent was, you called me a liar! And you based this on your "instinct" or "intuition" and my supposedly "implied" meanings in what I was saying. You chose to single me out. So I'm singling you out. You clearly stated that you felt you could answer the question I was asking and explain how those things were based on Wing Chun concepts. I think you are full of sh!t. I think you lied about your level of understanding. You got yourself into this, not me! So let's see it! Let's see you explain what no one else really has in 25-some odd pages of this thread! If you refuse, then I can only assume its because you can't do it. This is discussion forum....so discuss your understanding of what Josh was doing in that clip! Drop the ridiculous "come see me and I'll show you!!" cr@p. This is a discussion forum. So discuss!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    Hi,

You are right regarding the tennis example, in that it impossible to always hit a perfect/textbook backhand all of the time (though Roger Federer comes pretty darn close).

However, looking at a backhand: You can hit it with slice, topspin or hit it flat. Federer's topspin backhand is different to, say Nadal's... but they both follow the 'concepts' as it were. Start low, hit over the ball. And they both have the correct 'technical' attributes too: plant the foot, bend the knee, particular grip (though Nadal's is typically more exaggerated), use of the shoulder, etc. And they both have the same 'result' (the ball rapid dips down when it reaches a certain part of its path/flight). Also, typically, they are both employing the same 'strategy' too when they use the backhand.

You can tell both are playing a backhand because of the above - you wouldn't confuse it with the swing of baseball bat, or a golf club.

Even someone like McEnroe, who appeared to be the exception to the rule in terms of having really unorthodox ground stokes, was still following the same conceptual, technical and strategic "rules". Tennis players are bound by them, even if we can see differences in style and tactics when the game is played.

Is Wing Chun the same? I would say yes. No two people will move exactly the same, no one can perform something perfectly all of the time (rarely once ) and different lineages might have a different style or flavour to the system... but regardless, I would argue that whatever lineage you're from, you should be sticking to the concepts, strategy and technical requirements as much as you can (to me, all three of these things are the 'model').

If you don't follow these three things, can you say you are doing Wing Chun? Someone just scrapping in the street using whatever they can in the moment is also not following these three things - are they doing Wing Chun too? If particular concepts, strategy and technical requirements don't make Wing Chun what it is... then what does?

This is the point exactly. Those of us who can't see Wing Chun here are all happy to admit we are wrong if the CSL WCK guys, or others, can explain how the above 5 points fit with their Wing Chun. Every martial art has concepts and strategy, and all have some technical requirements too (if not, every style would look the same in the classroom). Alan, in his various clips, has spoken about why they do certain things as opposed to doing other things - that is an indication that their style/method does have concepts, strategy and technical requirements - and that is why Alan has talked about body mechanics and body methods, etc, positioning and timing, etc... because CSL WCK clearly has a model too, just like all arts do.

How do you (anyone reading who clearly sees Wing Chun in that sparring clip) explain the 5 points in relation to the CSL WCK or their own lineage of Wing Chun?

Many people have posted many times on this thread, so people are clearly willing to invest some time into it - why not invest a little more to explain detailed answers to the above 5 points?

It is surely worth it, if only for the satisfaction of having KPM and myself say, "Sorry guys. I was wrong and you were right. You've now explained it, it makes sense and I fully admit that yes, I wasn't able to see what you were saying - but now I can. Again, my apologies."

But I think it should be possible to explain in some detail. To just say "We train Wing Chun, we use it, and it works and so that is your explanation," doesn't really help get everyone on the same page.

I decided to leave the thread as I was the main person objecting to what others were saying, so I figured if I bow out then the thread can just slide down the list, but seeing as people are still talking about it anyway...

Listen I know you don't understand real fighting but the point is under pressure it not always going to look perfect. Also as I have said you use the skills of your art to deal with your opponent.

Anyway yes in real fighting you sometimes press forward in case you take a punch when attacking you also move you head to off set your opponents attacks. This is all 3rd form concepts. Bending the waist. We move are head from moving the waist not like most boxing. But if we needed too then we would also move the head. That's dealing with the problem.

In wing chun you only have to lock on your structure when you have a bridge control. Outside of that you can move and be harder to hit. We are not robots.

Show your wing chun under this kind of pressure - not demos not set drills not head gear sparring and show me what happens.

In fact I'm happy to see any clips of your wing chun. That will save a lot of wasted time.
    Last edited by Alan Orr; 04-27-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks for replying (I will ignore the "I know you don't understand real fighting", so we don't get into silly name calling).

We also have a waist-bending movement in the BT form (I think all YM lineages have this), but for us this is very much an emergency movement.

I don't want to misquote or misunderstand what you are saying, so is it correct for me to think that you (CSL WCK) are happy to apply this movement to punches, for example, and that the body position/structure that goes with it is not seen as a compromise?

So doing so it is a part of your system's concepts that are not exclusively for emergency use?

I mean that for us (in my lineage), this type of movement would be a last resort as we already have compromised structure; but do you mean that for you this waist bending and moving the head forward is not see as a compromise to your Wing Chun's more usual upright upper-body position?

If so, okay - and thanks.

If you or Chris have the time, how would you describe CSL WCK's optimal body structure (a basic description)? I mean in terms of alignment (knees, hips, shoulders, neck, elbows).

Seeing how this thread has deteriorated to the point of no return, I'm starting a new thread trying to approach this debate from a third perspective. I'm giving this a try, since I see value in observations made in both sides of the debates going on here ...namely KPM and BPWT on one side, as well as Alan, Chris DLCox, and TC 101 on the other. But you guys seem to be talking right past each other. Maybe if the discussion were framed differently, we could all at least agree to disagree respectfully?

Then again, probably not! LOL Either way, look for a thread titled, "Old School or New School WC?". I'll probably just get yelled at. Buy, hey, I'm married so I'm used to it. --Steve
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/