Thread: Mixed Doubles Optional Taijiquan - 混合双人自选太极拳

Mixed Doubles Optional Taijiquan - 混合双人自选太极拳

So....what do y'all think of this?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh, how pretty!
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Lacking snake engine.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Nice choice of music.

I should explain...

If you've been keeping up with our mag, you know that China has been moving away from its global campaigns to promote Modern Wushu and Qigong and focusing more towards Tai Chi lately. Unfortunately, just like they did with the IHQA, they are using the same flagging model that has failed for Modern Wushu - establishing it as a competitive sport with Olympic aspirations. It's a classic case of martial myopia, as the world perceives Tai Chi as something very un-Olympic, and the attempt at any sort of bid, even a decade+ out, would likely become a laughing stock. Nevertheless, new competition rules and divisions are being churned out at an alarming rate and we're likely to see some massive reformations at the next few major Tai Chi tournaments in China.

Mixed Doubles Optional Taijiquan is a newly proposed event for Tai Chi competition. As you can see, it has already been developed to an extreme, even exclusionary, level of skill. To me, it's a lot like partner figure skating. I admire what these athletes can do, but I'm skeptical about it's viability as a new sport, and even more hesitant about what kind of message it might ultimately send about the nature of Tai Chi. This is the first vid of seen of it so far.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Any form competition is a dance competition by nature. At least they are being honest about their nature now and certainly it was a graceful dance.

I thought that there moves and counter moves.

I thought wrong.

They are doing in sync and there are two people. We might as well have more people in sync. Like synchronizing swimming etc.

The only yin and yang here is that there is a boy and a girl but they are doing the same thing at the same time.

Changed the soup/tonic but did not change the medicine.

Last edited by SPJ; 04-23-2014 at 10:48 AM.

It is good if wushu form competitions formally categorize themselves as dance so that we can enjoy better dance choreography(like this one) without any confusion with martial arts.

It's still better than Japanese samba.

the entire stadium is empty

lols

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the entire stadium is empty

lols
    That's because of the pajamas. They need to show more flesh.