Thread: Different Kinds of Sanda or san Shou ?

Different Kinds of Sanda or san Shou ?

What kinds are there and how do they differ from each other like a northern or Southern type of Sanda or even from Taiwan i mean will a Southern type have elements from southern Kung Fu ? I mean in there Techniques concepts principles stance structure ?

There are different "kinds" of Sanda in the same way there are different "kinds" of Boxing. There is no such thing as Southern Sanda or Northern Sanda. The "kind" of Sanda one might practice depends on the coach (and his/her background), the gym, and one's personal insight. Some coaches might emphasize leg catching, and the sort of distancing and postures related to that would show up. Some coaches come from a "non-Chinese" background...it wouldn't be strange to borrow the perspective of other arts like Muay Thai or Roman-Greco.
    Last edited by pazman; 04-20-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: grammar :(
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    What kinds are there and how do they differ from each other like a northern or Southern type of Sanda or even from Taiwan i mean will a Southern type have elements from southern Kung Fu ? I mean in there Techniques concepts principles stance structure ?
    Boxing is boxing and sanda is Sanda! People bring varying degrees of perspective and prior experience. The differences are subtle to the extent that one is able to discern the more efficient boxer has his body behind the fist while the less efficient may stick out fist only with no body force behind it. If core physical conditioning does not exist then the available responses may lack grounding or reasoning for better strategy.

Thanks Guys i undderstand

See i thought that all Sanda Had Chinese Wrestling in it and basic techniques like certian punches in it from Kung Fu Systems . So actually it depends on the coach and where they learn Sanda from .

technique wise mongol atheletes with background in bokh are very successful. most Chinese gyms all train exactly the same. textbook boxing+ shuai Jiao + muay thai + modified soviet strength program

there is no need for any traditional types of training because drugs
    Last edited by bawang; 04-23-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

"Textbook boxing" has a wide range. Both sanshou and mma gyms run the gamut on this, good ones actually DO have textbook boxing, a lot of gyms really don't. They have jabs and crosses and all, but that's it, it's like krav maga in a mall, moves without the system, and the system is really important in boxing.

The good gyms that I saw in China were pretty neat.

Yep, there is really no different kinds of Sanda. There are different levels though, according to the skill of the students, and if it is training or tournament scenario.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

difference

Discussing first hand experience here, military and civilian sanda are trained differently and emphasizes different things. Also depends on what unit you are attached to. Basic techniques are however almost the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rovere View Post
    Discussing first hand experience here, military and civilian sanda are trained differently and emphasizes different things. Also depends on what unit you are attached to. Basic techniques are however almost the same.
    What was your job in the Chinese military?
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

did not have a job in the military; only invited over the years to train with various units both in China and Taiwan.