Thread: Dragon Blade

Dragon Blade

For CNY 2015 from Jackie

Jackie Chan’s ‘Dragon Blade’ Cuts Deal With New Fund
    APRIL 17, 2014 | 12:01AM PT
    Budget record busting epic targets 2015 release
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

BEIJING — Hong Kong’s Daniel Lee will direct Jackie Chan in “Dragon Blade,” a period action epic that will be released next Chinese New Year.

The film’s budget is claimed to be a record for a Chinese-financed movie.

The film is backed by Sparkle Roll Cultural Media, Huayi Brothers Media Corporation, Shanghai Film Group and new film investment group Beijing Cultural Assets Chinese Film & Television Fund.

Chan will play the commander of the Protection Squad of the Western Regions during the Han Dynasty. The film shoots in Dunhuang and the Gobi Desert, which form the dramatic natural backdrop.

“Dragon Blade” will be released in 3D IMAX in China, and in international markets, on Feb. 19, 2015, the first day of next year’s Chinese New Year holiday period.

The fund is founded by some of the biggest players in the Chinese entertainment sector, including China Film Foundation, Cultural Assets Supervision and Administration Office of the People’s Government of Beijing Municipality, CITIC Asset Management Corporation, Sparkle Roll Group, and Beijing All Media and Culture Group.
    And the kicker?
    Mel Gibson Rumored to be Jackie Chan’s co-star in Dragon Blade
    Apr 21, 2014 09:44 PM EDT | Arthur Dominic Villasanta

Mel Gibson
    The most expensive "Made in China" movie yet stars Jackie Chan, as expected, but Mel Gibson too?

That's what the rumor mill's saying about Dragon Blade, the big bucks historical drama backed by some of China's leading entertainment companies.

The story of Dragon Blade is basically the great Han Empire meets the great Roman Empire.

The Dragon Blade storyline sees a Roman military commander, presumably Gibson, who finds himself lost in China. He encounters Jackie, who plays Huo An, the commander of a Han Dynasty military unit protecting China's western border. The story revolves around their adventures.

The epic will be directed by Hong Kong's Daniel Lee. Much of the filming will take place in the Dunhuang and the Gobi Desert. Jackie has been said to have been preparing for this role for seven years.

The choice of Gibson, if true, is bound to be controversial considering the Australian's alleged racist tendencies. He's been quoted as ranting against "*******s" and using the "N-word" to describe African Americans.

Media rumors about Gibson being the Roman were sparked by Jackie's veiled description of his co-star.

"All I can say is that he's a foreigner--an A-list Hollywood star, a big name," Jackie said at the Beijing International Film Festival. But he could also be referring to Russell Crowe or Brad Pitt.

Whoever Jackie's real co-star is, there is no doubting Dragon Blade is big. The epic is being bankrolled by some of the biggest boys in China's entertainment sector. These backers include CITIC Asset Management Corporation, Sparkle Roll Cultural Media and Huayi Brothers Media Corporation.

Other sponsors are China Film Foundation, the Shanghai Film Group, Beijing All Media and Culture Group, Cultural Assets Supervision and Administration Office of the People's Government of Beijing Municipality and the Beijing Cultural Assets Chinese Film and Television Fund.

Dragon Blade will have its global debut on Feb. 15, 2015, the first day of the Chinese Lunar New Year. The movie will be released on 3D IMAX in China.

The movie is inspired by documented evidence of Roman descendants and Roman ruins in Liqian village in northwest Gansu province. The ruins probably date back to the Han Dynasty.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh forget Mel...

This flick has Siwon!
    Super Junior Siwon Casted In Jackie Chan's New Movie, 'Dragon Blade'
    By Staff Writer | June 10, 2014 04:08 AM EDT

Super Junior member Siwon has been casted in Jackie Chan's new movie.

On June 10, it was revealed by Siwon's agency that he was confirmed as part of the cast for Jackie Chan's new movie, "Dragon Blade."
    Siwon will be working alongside Jackie Chan and other famous actors including John Cusack.
    This movie is about the war between the Huns and the Hans and will release next year.
    Siwon will be busy back and forth between Korea and China in order to film this movie as well as his role in a new Chinese drama as well.
    Who is Siwon again? And do you think kpopstarz.com realizes that's not John Cusack in the pic?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

China’s Most Expensive Movie Ever

JC is going for it with this one.

I like Brody. I just saw him in Grand Budapest Hotel and found him hilarious.

Jackie Chan’s 'Dragon Blade' is China’s Most Expensive Movie Ever
    Ying Zhin | Jun 25, 2014 08:07 AM EDT

Jackie Chan will captivate the hearts of his fans anew in his new blockbuster film "Dragon Blade," China's latest period action epic, claimed to be one of the most expensive Chinese financed films ever produced.

Chan revealed that Hollywood actor Adrien Brody, best known for his performance in the 2002 film "The Pianist," has joined the cast of Dragon Blade, at a media conference held during the recent Shanghai International Film Festival.

Chan plays the role of commander of the Protection Squad of the Western Regions during the Han Dynasty. Brody plays Tiberius, an ambitious Roman general who is willing to kill to succeed.

Directed by Hong Kong filmmaker Daniel Lee, "Dragon Blade" also stars Hollywood actor John Cusack, who plays the Roman general Lucius in the movie.

"Dragon Blade" is based on the mysterious history behind the City of Liqian in the northern province of Gansu, and its connection with Roman legionaries.

Theories claim that inhabitants of Liqian may be Roman descendants, and the setting of "Dragon Blade" is inspired by this discovery.

Set in 48 BC, the film is shot in Dunhuang and the Gobi Desert, which serve as a dramatic natural backdrop as the plot revolves around Huo An (Chan), a Chinese commander tasked to protect China's Western borders during the Han dynasty.

"Dragon Blade" also stars K-pop boy band Super Junior's Choi Si-won, Chinese actresses Lin Peng and Wang Ruoxin.

The film has a starting budget of US$65 million, reportedly the most expensive Chinese-financed film ever made.

The fund is reportedly funded by some of the biggest players in the Chinese entertainment sector which include the China Film Foundation; Cultural Assets Supervision and Administration Office of the People's Government of Beijing Municipality; CITIC Asset Management Corporation; Sparkle Roll Group; and Beijing All Media and Culture Group.

Chan's latest movie is also backed by Sparkle Roll Cultural Media; Huayi Brothers Media Corporation; Shanghai Film Group and new film investment group Beijing Cultural Assets Chinese Film & Television Fund.

"Dragon Blade" is set to be released in 3D IMAX in China, and in international markets on Feb. 19, 2015, the date of next year's Chinese New Year.
    Wait....is Mel out?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not yet, may still sign as a Roman General. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Blade_%28film%29

turning point?

Haven't all of JC's flicks been turning points? Except for the sequels, of course.

There are some pix, but they are cut&paste blocked, so you must follow the link if you want to see them.
    Jackie Chan: New film ‘Dragon Blade’ will be turning point in career
    POSTED: 24 Jul 2014 19:05

Actor Jackie Chan believes his upcoming film Dragon Blade will be a turning point in his career and revealed that it will contain highly complex action choreography.

PHOTOS
    Action star Jackie Chan poses for photos during a media visit to the shooting location for his upcoming film Dragon Blade. He revealed that white cloth he wears served to protect him from the sandstorms that occur there.
    Adrien Brody (right) and Jackie Chan (with white hat) get chummy on location.
    K-pop singer Choi Si-won said Jackie Chan (pictured) was a caring man who would help out with chores on the set whenever he could.
    Adrien Brody (left), Jackie Chan (centre) and John Cusack (right) in a series of publicity photos for "Dragon Blade".

BEIJING: Actor Jackie Chan described his upcoming action film Dragon Blade as being a turning point in his film career, when he met reporters during a media visit on Monday (July 21) to the film's shooting location in the arid Aksai region, on the border of China and India.

“We have been working on this project for seven years, and the director, Daniel Lee, has polished the script to perfection. This is the movie that I really want to make. All the dialogue, plot and concept are truly brilliant,” Chan told reporters.

He added that the action choreography for Dragon Blade, which is scheduled for release in the first half of next year, is even more complicated than it had been for his previous film, the action-packed CZ12.

“It’s a much more difficult fighting style since it’s designed for hundreds of people on screen at the same time. Moreover, neither Cusack nor Brody is an action actor, but they do learn very quickly,” said Chan.

“The action choreography in my movies is composed of solid fighting. I don’t do wire-work because we’ve seen too much of it in other movies. I love showing real martial arts on the screen.”

CHOI SI-WON: JACKIE CHAN LOOKS AFTER ME

Set in 48BC, Dragon Blade revolves around Huo An (Chan), a Chinese commander who is tasked with protecting China’s Western borders during the Han dynasty.

Huo is accused of treason and winds up as a slave labourer, but he still manages to rally the Chinese forces to repel a small invading Roman army led by Lucius (John Cusack).

However, an even great challenge looms for Huo - he must find a way to stop the ambitious Tiberius (Adrien Brody), who marches towards the Chinese border gate with a vast army.

Dragon Blade, which is being filmed on a budget of US$65 million (S$81.4 million), also stars K-pop group Super Junior’s Choi Si-won.

The Korean heartthrob revealed that Chan is not only an action superstar, but also a very caring person who would visit the set even if he does not have scenes to shoot, in order to prepare tea, repair damaged tents and do other chores.

“I really enjoy working with him. He has been looking after me in every aspect. Now I’ve come to understand why they all call him ‘Big Brother’,” said Choi.

- CNA/ha
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

possible delay

Do audiences outside Asia even know who Jaycee is? I doubt it.

Jackie Chan wants to delay movie release because of son?
    2 days ago

© Provided by xinmsn

Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan reportedly requested to push back the release of his latest film Dragon Blade for fear that his son Jaycee Chan’s drug scandal will overshadow the movie.

Jaycee has been detained in China since August after he was arrested for possession and consumption of marijuana, and could face a maximum jail term of three years if sentenced according to the laws in China. It is believed that the hearing and sentencing will take place next month in China.

The superstar has always placed great pride in promotional activities for his films but with Dragon Blade slated for release early next year, Jackie has to begin activities in various countries in December. However, the actor is said to be afraid that the media will put the spotlight on Jaycee instead.

Although he has put forward requests to the production company to delay the release by several months, insiders revealed the schedule is fixed
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Posters

...via Jackie's fb

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

IMAX for CNY

Hoping for a U.S. IMAX release...
    Jackie Chan’s ‘Dragon Blade’ Set For IMAX Chinese New Year Outing

STUART C. WILSON/GETTY IMAGES

NOVEMBER 21, 2014 | 05:32AM PT
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief
    Jackie Chan vehicle “Dragon Blade” is to be released in IMAX 3D format in China in time for Chinese New Year.

The film, which also stars Adrien Brody and John Cusack, will be remastered into the giant screen format and released by the Shanghai Film Group on Feb. 19, 2015.

IMAX also confirmed dates for the release of John Woo’s two-part epic, “The Crossing.” The first instalment will release in China on Dec. 2, and the second part in May 2015.

“Dragon Blade,” from director Daniel Lee (“White Vengeance,” “14 Blades”), follows a Roman general (Cusack) who, after crossing into China, befriends a former high-ranking Chinese official, played by Chan.

One of the most expensive Chinese films of all time, the picture is produced on a $65 million budget by Visualizer Films with Sparkle Roll Media, Huayi Brothers, Shanghai Film Group, Home Media and Entertainment, Shenzhen Tencent Video Culture Communication and China Film all set as primary investors. International sales outside China are handled by Golden Network Asia.

“IMAX has been at the forefront of the cinema industry in China for the last 15 years, and with a growing network and the addition of more locally produced films, we expect to help continue to grow the entertainment ecosystem in that country for all parties involved,” said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond in a statement.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Brody is such a ham.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here comes the buzz campaigns...

I'm actually pretty excited about this one despite the awkward trailer. The tradition of a Chinese New Year Jackie flick has been part of my life for so long now.

Jackie Chan, Emotional on the Set of Dragon Blade
    JM Javelosa | Feb 11, 2015 04:16 AM EST

(Photo : www.google.com)

People have been looking forward to Jackie Chan's latest movie, Dragon Blade. The film, which was reportedly seven years in the making is based on a true story and is currently one of the most expensive Chinese movies with a budget of US$65 million.The film will not be shown until two weeks later but Jackie is already revealing how emotional he was during filming.

In the film, Jackie plays the role of Huo An, a Silk Road "peacekeeper", who aims to maintain peace and harmony between 36 countries along with his troops. Just like his character, Jackie shared that he feels that it is his "duty" to encourage peace and hopes that the movie will have a positive impact to war-torn countries.

Jackie attributed his change in mentality to his age and even revealed that it is easier for him to shed tears these days when they are filming.

"Once you think of the situation and having experienced so much in recent years, especially [when I think of] my parents' past (Jackie's parents have passed away)... When the director plays the music, you feel like you're in the midst of the warzone," he said.

"I got really emotional in one scene where John's character said: 'Take me home!' At that moment, after I turned around, I started crying uncontrollably and the director had to tell me to get a grip on myself. It was really hard to suppress it!" he added laughing.

"I find it harder to cry in the past but I'm easily moved to tears now. If you tell me a touching story now, I'd cry easily. I think it's because people tend to get more emotional with age... "

As for the film's production, John said, "When I came on the set of this movie, the design, the set, was as good as everything Hollywood has ever done. This is very competitive to anything Hollywood puts out." And on being able to work with Jackie, John shared, "For me to able to get to this stage and work with Jackie, it's like I've worked my whole life to get here."

The movie has an all-star international cast lineup including Hollywood actors John Cusack, Adrien Brody, Korean actor and singer Choi Siwon and Chinese actors Jackie, Mika Wang and Lin Peng. Dragon Blade will be shown on theatres in China on February 19, 2015.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sharni Vinson

Perhaps a forum member from across the pond can explain who Sharni is.
    She's a long way from Summer Bay! Sharni Vinson jets across the globe in Jackie Chan's private plane as she promotes Chinese film Dragon Blade
    By Daniel Van Boom for Daily Mail Australia
    Published: 23:20 EST, 9 February 2015 | Updated: 05:16 EST, 10 February 2015

Home And Away is known for producing international movie stars, but Sharni Vinson is proving they don't always end up in Hollywood.

The 31-year-old former Summer Bay babe is currently trailblazing around China, promoting her upcoming film Dragon Blade - in which she stars across Jackie Chan.

Sharni took to Instagram on Monday night to post a collage of herself boarding Jackie's private plane, hashtagging 'Dragon Blade Jet Air' and 'press tour.'

Friends in high places: Sharni Vinson shared a collage to Instagram of her entering Jackie Chan's private plane on Monday

Friends in high places: Sharni Vinson shared a collage to Instagram of her entering Jackie Chan's private plane on Monday

Sharni protected herself from the cold with a beige winter jacket over a black top, her ombre locks falling well below her shoulders.

The plane she's seen stepping into features a red and yellow dragon detail on it's side and the word 'Jackie' written across it's tail.

The beautiful brunette attended Dragon Blade's Beijing premiere on Saturday, looking like she'd emerged from a different decade as she stepped out in a shimmering strapless gown.

Working her angles, Sharni showed off her slender figure in the disco-inspired two-tone gown that flared at the knee with a dramatic ruffled finish.

Personal touches: The plane she's seen stepping into features a red and yellow dragon detail on it's side and the word 'Jackie' written across it's tail

New look: The beautiful brunette attended Dragon Blade's Beijing premiere on Saturday, looking like she'd emerged from a different decade as she stepped out in a shimmering strapless gown

Later Sharni held court at a photocall, switching up her style to wear a slim fit oriental style red and white dress with a black belt tying together the demure ensemble, as she fielded questions from the sofa.

The big-budget flick reportedly cost $65 million to produce - one of the largest budgets in Chinese film history.

Centred around a fictional battle between Rome and China's Han Dynasty, the film is a return for movies for Sharni who has enjoyed a break since starring in Blue Crush 2 and Patrick.

Sharni jetted to China from Los Angeles for the premiere and photocall after attending the G'Day USA Gala earlier in the month.

Versatile: Later Sharni held court at a photocall, switching up her style to wear a slim fit oriental style red and white dress with a black belt tying together the demure ensemble

Globetrotter: Sharni jetted to China from Los Angeles for the premiere and photocall after attending the G'Day USA Gala earlier in the month

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

show me the money

Alibaba to Invest $16 Million in Jackie Chan's Upcoming Film Projects

Sandy Huffaker/Invision for XX/AP Images

by Clifford Coonan
    2/10/2015 4:36am PST

Yulebao, the crowdfunding unit of China's largest e-commerce company Alibaba, will invest $16 million in Jackie Chan's Yaolai film and TV company over the next three years.

Liu Chunning, head of Alibaba's digital entertainment group, said Alibaba wanted to build a fan platform on Yulebao -- which translates as ‘Entertainment Treasure’ -- to boost interaction with the audience.

"Alibaba Yulebao will cooperate with Jackie Chan to continue to make Chinese films," said Liu.

Read More China's Wanda Buys Infront Sports & Media From Bridgepoint for $1.2 Billion

Chan said he was good friends with Alibaba founder and executive chairman Jack Ma and the relationship would help the collaboration.

"We both have our business. I focus on making good films and Alibaba Yulebao has promoted fund-raising for new films. I hope we can both get success and promote Chinese films to the world together," said Chan.

Alibaba is one of the producers on Chan’s latest project, the historical epic Dragon Blade, which features John Cusack and Adrien Brody as Roman soldiers lost in ancient times.

When Yulebao launched last year, it broke records for investment as hundreds of thousands of investors poured money into the fund, and the same thing happened with the service's pitch for investment in Dragon Blade – within 2.5 days, investors put $4.8 million into the project.

Read More China Box Office: 'Running Man' Overtakes 'The Hobbit' as 'Hunger Games' Opens Big

Investors in China are always on the lookout for new vehicles. The stock market is tightly controlled, and the real estate market has become expensive for most, plus ordinary Chinese are generally not allowed to invest overseas.

Each individual investor is allowed to buy a maximum of two plans from the available list of projects and investors have been offered an interest rate of seven percent on their investment.

Alibaba has been careful to distinguish Yulebao from a traditional crowd-sourcing scheme, which is illegal in China and sometimes seen by authorities as a form of pyramid scheme.

Twitter: @cliffordcoonan
    I'm sure Alibaba is waiting to see how well the film does. More on Alibaba here.

Alibaba Mulls Further Jackie Chan Movie Investment

February 10, 2015 | 08:10PM PT
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

Yule Bao, the fan-funding arm of China’s e-commerce and entertainment giant Alibaba, will consider investments in further movies by Jackie Chan.

Patrick Liu Chunning, head of Alibaba’s digital entertainment operations, said that Yule Bao will continue to work with Chan and his Sparkle Roll Culture and Media group.

Yule Bao is a minority investor in “Dragon Blade,” the $65 million historical fantasy action film that is produced and stars Chan, with John Cusack and Adrien Brody as co-stars, and is expected to be one of the biggest movies at Chinese New Year. Lui made his remarks at the film’s premiere in Beijing.

Liu did not address the amount of any future investment, an Alibaba spokesman told Variety.

Yule Bao is a crowd-funding-like service which allows large fans to back movies and TV shows, while also earning fixed rates of return. Among its other early investments last year was support for Ann Hui’s “The Golden Era.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

xiao wang ba dan

I've been wondering how much Jaycee Chan's PRC drug bust might affect this film.

'Movies are more important than meeting family', says Jackie Chan, while promoting Dragon Blade
    Published on Feb 10, 2015 1:06 PM

A-list stars Jackie Chan (third, right), Adrien Brody (right), John Cusack (third, left) and Choi Si Won (left) at the press conference of their new movie Dragon Blade. -- PHOTO: WANBAO
    Jackie Chan duels with Adrien Brody in the film Dragon Blade. -- PHOTO: GOLDEN VILLAGE PICTURES

By Boon Chan

Jackie Chan's son Jaycee, who was sentenced to six months in jail for a drug offence by a China court, is expected to be released soon.

But there will not be a family reunion at Chinese New Year, including with his wife, former actress Lin Feng-jiao.

Chan, who is currently promoting his new movie Dragon Blade, will be travelling around in China. He says: "Movies are more important than meeting up with family. Once the movie is over, it's gone. But after it's all over, I'll see him sooner or later."

In Singapore for Dragon Blade events, he adds that he has nothing more to say to Jaycee upon his release

"I won't say anything to him. I believe he has reflected on what he's done and will face his life positively from now on. He has gotten the punishment he deserved and I don't want to hurt him again."

Still, he acknowledges that 2015 is a good year for him because the "xiao wang ba dan" (little b******) will be released from jail.

Prior to Jaycee's jail term, father and son had been working together on Chan's album.

"Seven songs were recorded in 2013, so the album was stuck there when he went in. So I want him to complete the remaining five songs as soon as possible when he gets out," says Chan.

The East-meets-West period action movie Dragon Blade boasts an international cast of stars from Asia and Hollywood. But there is no question who the "big brother" holding court is.

At the press conference on Tuesday, which also saw the attendance of American actors John Cusack and Adrien Brody, Korean hunk Choi Si Won from boyband Super Junior and China actress Lin Peng, it was clear that Chan was the boss.

When media crowds the front of the stage to take pictures at the beginning, he says: "Hello everyone, let's take a seat, okay? We're not leaving. Thank you, now, much much better."

Cusack and Brody profess to be fans of the veteran action star.

They had watched the old Golden Harvest movies and practised the moves of Chan and Bruce Lee.

Brody, 41, says: "I've been a fan of Jackie's my whole life."

To which Cusack, 48, adds: "If you can work with Jackie, that's the peak. I started doing martial arts when I was 21, it's like I worked my whole life to get to this point."

Dragon Blade opens here on Feb 19.

bchan@sph.com.sg
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Malaysia premiere

Still no word on a U.S. premiere.

Jackie Chan & John Cusack Attend Dragon Blade Premiere in Malaysia
    2015-02-12 10:51:33 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: zhang

The cast of Dragon Blade, from left, John Cusack, Choi Si-Won, Adrian Brody, Lin Peng, Jackie Chan and Mika Wang pose for a group during a press conference to promote their new movie "Dragon Blade" in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2015. [Photo: Imagine China]

Jackie Chan, John Cusack and Adrian Brody attended the premiere for their new movie "Dragon Blade" in Malaysia last night.

The action film is a tale of two great historical forces, the Han Dynasty and the Roman Empire, who square off in an epic battle in 206-220 AD.

At the premiere in Kuala Lumpur, Cusack talked about his love of movies from the Far East and working with one of Asia's biggest stars.

"For me I grew up loving Asian cinema, and grew up loving Mr. Jackie Chan and he sort of hates this but everybody sort of says 'Jackie Chan is so great. Jackie Chan is so great. It such an honor to work with Jackie Chan.' He hears that all the time but, it happens to be true."

Chan plays a commander who's framed and later enslaved while Cusack plays a Roman soldier who escapes to China after rescuing the Prince. 

"Dragon Blade" was written and directed by Daniel Lee with a budget of 65 million U.S. dollars, making it one of the most expensive Chinese films ever made.

The movie is set for release in China on February 19.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips