Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dad RIP

My Dad RIP

Hey Guys,
    As some of you know, my Dad was battling ALS for a few years.
    On April 12 2014, his battle was finally over and he has gone to rest.
    To all those that have voiced their support and remember us in their prayers I say, Thank you.
    He went peacefully in his sleep, at home.
    It has been bittersweet for us because, while we miss him very very much and there is a very deep void, he suffering was so much and he was going through so much that we are glad it is over for him.

Just wanted to guys to know...

Paul
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hey Guys,
    As some of you know, my Dad was battling ALS for a few years.
    On April 12 2014, his battle was finally over and he has gone to rest.
    To all those that have voiced their support and remember us in their prayers I say, Thank you.
    He went peacefully in his sleep, at home.
    It has been bittersweet for us because, while we miss him very very much and there is a very deep void, he suffering was so much and he was going through so much that we are glad it is over for him.

Just wanted to guys to know...

Paul
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for sharing Paul.
    With fellow feeling
    joy chaudhuri

I feel you, Paul. I really do.

My father passed away last week on April 16. I was going to keep it quiet, as I generally keep my personal life out of the public domain, but given Paul's thread here, I will share.

My dad had a catastrophic stroke a decade ago which left him a severe aphasiac (this I've mentioned in my book). My mom has been his caretaker all these years. Last year, he had some complications which placed him in hospice, where he has been for the last eight months.

Misery loves company, eh? I wish you and I could grab a beer or something, Paul. Just like your dad, mine was suffering at the end too, so his passing was a relief in many ways. Nevertheless, losing a parent leaves a permanent scar.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks Joy and Gene.

Gene, yeah... it is so painful to see those we love suffer and as much as we want them to stay with us, we know that is not the best thing for them.
    At the end my dad couldn't speak or swallow ( he hadn't eaten or drank and a few days) and was unable to move any limb or support his head.
    A truly horrific fate for a very active and strong man, a welder-fitter all his life, he was bedridden for the last 6 months.
    I feel your pain Gene and know that you feel mine.
    That beer sounds good my friend...

To Paul and Gene:

I am so sorry to hear of your losses. And while your fathers are no longer suffering, yet it's always difficult when a parent passes. Bless you both.

To add:

I know how you both feel. Back in 2000, my father passed away after a long battle with Parkinson's. The dual feelings of loss of my dad and the relief I felt for him were a bit hard to reconcile for a time.

Blog Entries
    I just lost my father to cancer in October and my mother in law who was living with us less than a month ago. I feel your pain too.

Cancer is no joke. My pops was the toughest man i'd ever known and he even laughed at Chemo.

appreciate you sharing. stay strong.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

dysphagia - losing the ability to eat

That was part of the initial complications my dad suffered when he first went into hospice. It was really rough because my dad came from poor roots and consequently was always a good eater. He worked his way up, got a Masters, the first of his family to get a degree, and became a nuclear engineer. He had retired by the time of his stroke, but kept very active playing tennis and golf regularly and loved backpacking. When he became dysphagic, he would just stuff his mouth full and chew, but didn't swallow. That was one of the main reasons he was put on hospice. But he figured it out after a few weeks (and losing a lot of weight). He had a prostate issue that kept him on a catheter, and the last few months, he was wheelchair bound, but he would scoot himself around the hallways of the nursing home.

I have some business in S.F. tonight, but I'm going to grab a beer for my break at dinner and toast to our dear dads. Stay strong, old friend.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have my Dad's memorial service this Saturday, I will keep you guys in my thoughts.

My condolences, Paul.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

So sorry to hear this Paul. My best friend's dad is going through the same thing, terrible stuff.

Peace Paul. Prayers for you and your family.

I lost my grandfather who raised me to cancer in '10, and my grandmother to same in '12. It leaves a mark.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Paul and Gene, so sorry for your loss. Missing my mother-in-law who died in Sept. from scleroderma, but am glad she is free from that horrible disease.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Condolences...sorry for your loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

May Buddha watch over all of you and your loved ones now and forever lasting.

Missed Gene's post. My condolences. My father died from a stroke some years back, but it was not a lingering thing, I feel for you.