Thread: Chi Na in MMA?

Hybrid View

Chi Na in MMA?

During last week's Jones/Teixeira fight, Jones attempted a standing arm bar from the clinch, injuring Teixeria's shoulder. It seemed he could have been close to a first round submission with the technique.
    Standing locks aren't seen often in MMA, but I believe Jon Jones has been instrumental in bringing so called "unorthodox" striking techniques into the forefront of the sport. It stands to reason he could do the same with unorthodox grappling techniques. I think if he had succeeded in forcing a submission, we would shortly see a steep rise in standing locks being attempted in the cage, but at any rate, how long before he, or someone else is successful in the UFC with standing locks?
    Do you think this may be one of the next evolutions in mixed martial arts?
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 04-29-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    In order to make your stand up lock work on your opponent, you have to eliminate his legs mobility. An under hook with "leg spring" can not only put your opponent's face on the ground, it can also lock on his shoulder joint.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

It's been done before. Standing joint locks are hard to train, thus hard to pull off during a match.

Shinya Aoki pulls of wakigatame.

This technique is in Judo, but isn't trained much and I'm sure it's not legal during a match.

Seeing more of these kinds of techniques would certainly be interesting but I doubt they'll be the focus of fighters any time soon.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    It's been done before. Standing joint locks are hard to train, thus hard to pull off during a match.

Shinya Aoki pulls of wakigatame.

This technique is in Judo, but isn't trained much and I'm sure it's not legal during a match.

Seeing more of these kinds of techniques would certainly be interesting but I doubt they'll be the focus of fighters any time soon.
    Nice clip....I think when a high profile UFC fighter, (like Jones) pulls something unorthodox off, you start to see more people attempting the move...I think it is harder to pull off locks standing than on the ground, but it would be interesting to see another element of clinch fighting get more use and exposure in the cage.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Since I don't really keep up with TV stuff these days, I had to look him and the fight up.

Story about the fight.

Gif of shoulder crank.

Cool stuff!
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

The problem with some locks is that you should act fast and hurt your opponent in order to be effective. If you press and release for a moment no one will tap for a little pain because during the fight you don't feel some injuries if there isn't enough damage however it's a mean thing to do.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 04-30-2014 at 04:44 AM.