Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tai Chi Mass Demonstrations & Flash Mobs

Tai Chi Mass Demonstrations & Flash Mobs

I'd love to see some pics of this.
    Tai chi show breaks record

More than 20,000 people practiced tai chi together for 20 minutes at the former Kai Tak airport today, setting a new record for Hong Kong and celebrating the special administrative region's 10th anniversary.

The Mega Tai Chi Show, jointly organised by the Leisure & Cultural Services Department, the Wushu Union, the Chinese Martial Arts Dragon & Lion Dance Association and the Tai Chi Association, offered martial arts enthusiasts an opportunity to exchange knowledge and skills with local and Mainland masters.

Chief Executive Donald Tsang opened the show today with six renowned Mainland masters and representatives of the three tai chi organisations giving demonstrations.

The department held a similar event in Happy Valley in December 2001 when more than 10,000 people took part, setting a record in Hong Kong for the number of people performing tai chi.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

34,000 and counting

That's outrageous. I thought 20,000 was a lot...
    Updated: 13:11, Monday August 10, 2009
    Tai Chi world record

To mark one year since the Beijing Olympics, more than 34,000 Tai Chi enthusiasts descended on the Olympic stadium at the weekend, to set a new world record for the most people performing the exercise at the same time.

'I'm so happy to be here. Look at how many people there are today!' said He Shufeng, a 58-year-old farmer who travelled from her home 80 kilometres out of Beijing to participate in the event.

'I feel very honoured. I'm a farmer and came on behalf of farmers. I'm was too excited to fall asleep last night,'

Along with a number of other sporting events, China's National Sports Ministry and Beijing's Sports Bureau hope the celebrations will encourage more Chinese people to get involved in sport.

The anniversary of the opening ceremony of the 2008 Games will be marked every year, with August 8th named National Fitness Day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBh4i12y_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2w-f3lc_J8

before this.

actually, the event held on CKS memorial took the title from HK.

and then HK took it back.

and now Beijing holds the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiJdQvTcYMc

More on National Fitness Day

Thanks for the vid links SPJ!
    Inaugural National Fitness Day highlights Beijing Olympics 1st anniversary
    www.chinaview.cn 2009-08-09 08:37:36

BEIJING, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- The inauguration of the National Fitness Day highlighted the first anniversary of the Beijing Olympics here on Saturday.

At a ceremony in the Water Cube Aquatic Center, symbol of the Beijing Olympics, Liu Peng, the director of China's General Administration of Sports and the president of the Chinese Olympic Committee, said," The establishment of Aug. 8 as the National Fitness Day reflects the government's concern over the life and fortune of the people, and it is the best marking of the most eye-catching Olympic Games in Beijing."

"The launch of the National Fitness Day is also a vivid reflection of the legacy that the Beijing Olympics has left for the people and the society," said Liu. "It is an important step to further improve people's health and a great power to enhance the Chinese sports."

Addressing the ceremony, Beijing Mayor Guo Jinlong called on all Beijing residents to join the national fitness program in a bid to make more contributions to the building of "People's Beijing, Scientific Beijing and Green Beijing".

Also on the occasion, Xu Haifeng, a sharp shooter who claimed the first-ever Olympic gold medal for China in 1984, proposed all the Chinese people to take physical exercise at least one hour per day from now on.

The ceremony was also attended by International Olympic Committee (IOC) Press Commission chief Kevan Gosper, IOC Olympic Games Executive Director Gilbert Felli and former IOC Coordination Commission chairman Hein Verbruggen.

In the morning, the Olympic area in Beijing also witnessed more than 34,000 people from all walks of life performing Taijiquan, or martial arts shadow boxing, which set a Guinness world record for the largest martial arts exercise.

Today, a wide range of celebrations were held around the country to mark the first anniversary of the Beijing Olympics and the inauguration of the National Fitness Day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Reports of 34,000 were exaggerated

According to this source, they fell short of that by 4 practitioners.
    There's vid, including wheelchair taiji.
    Good Things: Penguin March, Tai Chi Record, Baby Giraffe
    Written by Sunrise on KGMB9 - sunrise@kgmb9.com
    August 14, 2009 05:27 AM

Talk about relaxation. 33,996 Tai Chi enthusiasts braved the summer rain there to break a world record. According to guiness this display is now the largest mass Tai Chi session. It was part of what the Chinese are calling national fitness day and was followed by a series of demontrations by local dancers and drummers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tai Chi Mass Demonstrations & Flash Mobs

I'm not sure these people have really seen a good flash mob. A flash mob should be a little more coordinated, a little tighter about its execution. At the very least, they should be doing the same form.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another in Brazil

This one just looks like a class to me. A class in a scenic place. Nice camerawork tho.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Portugal

Here's another, akin to the Rio one.

Some one sent me the first one and I'm picking up the rest via YT's recommendations. There are more, but I'll stop for now.

For some reason, Tai Chi and Flash Mob just don't go together for me. When we first did our Simplified 24 Tai Chi group recital last year for KUNG FU TAI CHI DAY, some of the participants were trying to call it a 'flash mob' but I had to point out that it really wasn't so. A flash mob assembles more covertly and then disperses. Our performance might fall under the term 'smart mob' but that term never really caught on to my knowledge. In fact, I just learned 'smart mob' just now as I was looking up flash mobs.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Erina Fair

Tai Chi group calls for hundreds to take part in demonstration at Erina Fair
    Geraldine Cardozo
    Central Coast Gosford Express Advocate
    September 19, 2014 12:00AM

Tai Chi teacher Steve Heard working with some of his students at Terrigal.

Martial arts fans are gearing up for one of the coast’s biggest outdoor tai chi classes.

Tai chi instructor Steve Heard hopes hundreds will turn up at The Hive event at Erina to demonstrate the ancient Chinese exercise.

“Due to the success of World Tai Chi Day last April, we will be demonstrating various forms of tai chi and also be endeavouring to get the audience to join in,” said Mr Heard, who has been running free lessons at The Haven in Terrigal for three years.

“I’m hoping tai chi schools, instructors and students will come along on the day and I’m expecting around 200 people to take part.”

“I want to give people the opportunity to find out what tai chi can do for your health and well being. Most people can actually do a lot more with their body than they think they can,” he said.

The tai chi flash mob will descend on Erina Fair on Saturday September 27.

The demonstration will start off with a short form of traditional Yang-style tai chi and a brief talk about the history of the discipline and also the health benefits.

Mr Heard said some of these include improved posture and co-ordination, increased muscle strength, greater flexibility and balance and more energy and stamina.

“Tai chi promotes a clear passage. In doing these forms, or moves, you are gently internally massaging the internal organs in the body all the time, starting to lengthen the muscles and getting more oxygen into the blood.”

He said tai chi can also help lower blood pressure, improve concentration and help people deal with stress more effectively and sleep better.

“It should never be forgot that learning tai chi should be relaxing and fun,” added Mr Heard, who has won nine gold medals in the art, including two at the World Championships in Huangshan, China.

EVENT DETAILS

WHAT: Tai chi demonstration
    WHERE: The Hive, Erina Fair
    WHEN: Saturday September 27, 10am
    Technically, a mass free group lesson is not what I'd call a 'flash mob'.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

50,000 did Tai Chi

/ XENI JARDIN / 6:49 PM MON OCT 19, 2015
    Largest martial arts display record set by Chinese city where 50,000 did Tai Chi

REUTERS
    A Chinese national flag flies as students practice Tai Chi on a high school playground during a Guinness World Record attempt of the largest martial arts display ever.

This attempt took place on Sunday October 18, 2015. It was a hazy day in Jiaozuo, Henan province, China.
    The city successfully set the record by organizing over 50,000 residents to practise shadow boxing simultaneously at 15 different locations on Sunday morning, according to reports in local media.
    'Million' tai chi enthusiasts try to smash world record
    GBTIMES
    2015/10/19

Around one million people are estimated to have participated in an attempt to set a new Guinness World Record for the largest simultaneous tai chi practise session, organisers claimed.

The global event was organised by Jiaozuo City located in Henan Province, reported the Chinese language Henan Daily.

Jiaozuo which is known as the birthplace of tai chi invited people from more than 50 cities in China and abroad to join the record attempt on October 18.

More than 50,000 people performed tai chi simultaneously in 15 different locations in Jiaozuo itself.

However, it's yet to be confirmed whether the city actually succeeded in creating a new world record.

Organisers are hoping the event will help the Chinese martial art into UNESCO's intangible cultural heritage list.

About 300 million people around the world practice tai chi.
    Wow. That's just staggering. Way to go Jiaozuo!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Drone view

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KFTC Day: The Simplified 24 Demo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thousands practice Taichi at the Bund, Shanghai

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

300 in Vancouver

Taoist Tai Chi® is a registered trademark?

Hundreds enjoy tai chi on Vancouver's sunny waterfront
    Vancouver Observer Sep 12th, 2016

On Saturday, Taoist Tai Chi practitioners provided free Tai Chi lessons to passersby. Photo courtesy of Fung Loy Kok Taoist Tai Chi®.

More than 300 practitioners of Taoist Tai Chi® arts gathered on Vancouver's busy waterfront on Saturday to show hundreds of residents and tourists how they stay healthy and flexible.

On a gorgeous sunny day, participants demonstrated 108-move Taoist Tai Chi® sets and Tai Chi sabre sets, and provided free Tai Chi lessons to dozens of passersby.

The occasion was the annual International Awareness Day celebration of the Pacific Region of Fung Loy Kok Taoist Tai Chi®.

“Tai Chi is a way of getting all the parts working together so that we can achieve new levels of health and happiness, balance and calm,” said Jim Nicholson, an instructor with the non-profit, charitable organization's Vancouver branch.

“The more we learn how to move in a balanced way, the more confident we can be in our own bodies and what they are able to do.”

A few participants came from outside British Columbia, but most came from the Pacific Region's eight branches: Vancouver and area; Surrey, Langley and White Rock; Chilliwack and Abbotsford; Victoria and area; Nanaimo-Chemainus-Duncan; Parksville and mid-Island; Southern Interior including Vernon, Kelowna and Nelson; and Kamloops, including 100 Mile House and Ashcroft.

Please contact William Boei at 604 684-4088 if you have any questions.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KFTC Day 2017: Simplified 24 Demo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips