Thread: Lap sau training?

Question Lap sau training?

Hi, any good tips on training lap sau without a dummy or partner?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

IMO You shouldn't need a dummy or partners.Visualization is important. You should be able to practice lap sau (lap da) very easily in front of the mirror, checking your structure, position, alignment, power etc. other guys on YouTube have build lap sau dummies (similar to choi Lee fut dummy) for training.might be good to build your own if you really want to practice just that one technique. Other option is using materials like dumbbells, resistance bands, weighted cables or isometrics. Although I wouldn't over do it, it's definitely not the "be all & end all" of techniques. a very relaxed & experience practitioned will use your force against you in the lap sau.

Anyway, Hope that helps & give u a few ideas for your training

Thanks ")

Resistance bands might be what i'm looking for

TDO,
    Are you referring to lap sau training i.e. the "drill" or lap sau training i.e. how do I work grip etc?
    Thx.

If you're talking about just training the mechanics of the technique 'laap sau', then you can do solo training in front of a mirror to build muscle memory along with footwork mechanics that might go along with the motion. But since laap sau is technically a connected bridge reaction, you won't get very far without a partner to feed you live energy you need to react upon IMO.

If you're talking about laap sau looping/reaction drills as seen in many Yip Man lineages, then you'll surely need a partner for this (a dummy won't help much, except again for working mechanics)
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    Hi, any good tips on training lap sau without a dummy or partner?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Thanks
    You can coil around your own wrist, doing lap sao, alternating left and right hand by circling around and grabbing your own wrist. Hard to discribe, but it's simple once you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    If you're talking about just training the mechanics of the technique 'laap sau', then you can do solo training in front of a mirror to build muscle memory along with footwork mechanics that might go along with the motion.
    Thats what i've been doing, and as we all know is basic

But since laap sau is technically a connected bridge reaction, you won't get very far without a partner to feed you live energy you need to react upon IMO.
    I know , but it was more to train with a bit of resistance (if that makes sense) I feel in actual application something in my structure could be better, more coordinated?

Sort of like when you went from punching in the air to hitting the heavy bag, you needed that little bit of weight to hit just to get everything to click!

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    You can coil around your own wrist, doing lap sao, alternating left and right hand by circling around and grabbing your own wrist. Hard to discribe, but it's simple once you see it.
    This is handy and saved me having to go get resistance bands, thanks much more the sort of thing i was after

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    TDO,
    Are you referring to lap sau training i.e. the "drill" or lap sau training i.e. how do I work grip etc?
    Thx.

How do i work it all not the drill, we never done much drill work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    This is handy and saved me having to go get resistance bands, thanks much more the sort of thing i was after
    you're welcome, a chinese chef who was a kung fu practioner at my job showed me how to do that many years ago. He was a funny guy lol, this brought back lots of good memories of him.