Thread: Question...

Question...

Hi, let me introduce myself. I been around Wing Chun all my life, since I was born. My father is an active practitioner, for over 35 years and he was the one who got me into it. I started very young, but in my opinion, I feel I never took it as seriously and did not see the value in the art, until later in my life. For the past year and some months, I got really into Wing Chun more than I ever been , because it's personal to me. Seeing how much my father loves it and how much he wanted me to be into it earlier into my life, I made it my personal goal to not only go and learn it, but someday granted if I work hard enough , I would like to get certified, and possibly one day teach those who are hungry and willing to learn Wing Chun.

My father, nearing the past year did not have enough time to teach me as much as I wanted and needed, so at the suggestion of his advice, I found a school with a great teacher, and classmates who are like my kung fu brothers. They are truly great people and in the 3 months I been there I have learned so much, that things my own father taught me are coming back to me, slowly but surely. But recently, a family issue has got me where I need to relocate near the end of this month and it sucks cause I really like the school I am at, the people are great and my Sifu is a good and honest teacher. I been studying the Jiu Wan/ Yip Man lineage, and earlier my father was teaching me the WSL version which is slightly modified, based on what worked for my father. My issue is now I need to find a new school in the Colorado area. I am hopeful that I would not need to start from square one, I will do it if I have to, but it would suck if I had to.

So I figured I would ask on the boards, if anyone knows anyone who teaches the Jiu Wan version, or can at least point me in the right direction to find a school that will actually teach me good Wing Chun, and where I can empty my cup and learn further, because I really want to master it. Wing Chun is my life, literally. It's better to learn it late than never learn it at all. I will be moving towards the Fort Collins area, and the only one I have interest in checking out, is the location in Boulder that Phil Switzer runs. Can anyone help with any suggestions?
    "Timing is achieved through practice."

WSLVT here, also in Boulder: http://martialworks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    WSLVT here, also in Boulder: http://martialworks.com/
    Thank you for the suggestion! Do you go to this school? And if so, what has been your personal experience there? Sorry for the many questions, I am grateful for you taking the time to read my post and reply!
    Last edited by jhexx; 05-05-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Nope! I live on the other side of the world. I don't know the instructor or his experience but I know WSLVT is generally a very good lineage. Also, the instructor went to Philipp Bayer's seminar in NYC and at least got a taste of that firsthand. So that's good input.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Nope! I live on the other side of the world. I don't know the instructor or his experience but I know WSLVT is generally a very good lineage. Also, the instructor went to Philipp Bayer's seminar in NYC and at least got a taste of that firsthand. So that's good input.
    I will check it out, thank you and once again I appreciate the information

To Deejaye 72, I got your inbox message but when i sent a message, it said you had to clean your inbox so I will post here what I was sending to you:

I am age 36, my father learned WSLVT from a Dr Wong in NYC chinatown, in the early/mid 70's. Dr wong was a herbalist who had a secret school in the back of the store, and he only took a few students in secret. My father held his secrecy until just the past year when i wanted to know his history in Wing Chun. I studied under my father for about a combined amout of 22 years, he started my training as young as 2 yrs old. It was on and off, and I truly wish I took it more seriously, because I now cherish it, like a family heirloom.
    In the last 4 months, at the suggestion of my father i been studying the Jiu Wan version, and i truly love it alot! My sifu is Herb Schmieder @ South Florida Wing Chun academy. His teacher is John Melillo, Herb completed Sifu Melillo's training in Wing Chun Kung Fu, Mr Melillo completed his training under Sifu Lun Syn and later under Ip Ching. Also my sifu's first teacher was Jason Lau. Melillo helped him complete the system and he is a great teacher, it is rare to find the real dudes that are hardcore old school Wing Chuners.

I thank you for reaching out, and i appreciate meeting you!

(edit: i got your messages deejaye, thank you!)
    Last edited by jhexx; 05-06-2014 at 09:47 AM.