Really???

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Different to yours, I take it?

Oh yeah. Same as yours?

No problem for me if there's differences. Take it up with Yip Man.

I'm not familiar with the WSL set, to be honest with you, so I'm not sure how you do yours.

But years ago Robert Chu (who has seen most YM WCK knife sets, including WSL's of course, as well as sets from outside of the YM line) said this about the LT Wing Tsun knife work:

"I saw Leung Ting's set demonstrated and taught to me by Allan Fong, his East Coast representative many years ago. It is a very good set. But of course, Allan Fong is no longer part of his organisation" and then, "Before you judge me too quickly, I am not an instructor of Wing Tsun - Leung Ting system. I feel I have every right to explain that clearly and don't dare to misrepresent myself. And I am correct in saying so - the WT system has a very good set passed down from Yip Man to Leung Ting."

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Oh yeah. Same as yours?
    That has to be the worse show of knives I've seen. Even Ip Chun's is better than that. Everything completely wrong and most of all dangerous to the user.
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Yes, Graham, it's not a video of PB.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    Yes, Graham, it's not a video of PB.
    It makes no difference who's in the video. My comment was based on my observation of his usage of the blades. They are wrong. Simple as that. If you think they are correct and representitive of Yip Man that's fine. We disagree. No biggie.

Wong Shun Leung.

Yes - that's what I meant. Wrong from a PBVT perspective.

LT would say right from a YM perspective, as that's who he learnt it from.

So agreed, no biggie. Your method, my method, different things and that's all good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT.. View Post
    Yes - that's what I meant. Wrong from a PBVT perspective.

LT would say right from a YM perspective, as that's who he learnt it from.

So agreed, no biggie. Your method, my method, different things and that's all good, IMO.
    Dude LT learnt hardly anything from Yip Man. I guess if he told you he was your Dad you would believe him. What LT is good at is marketing himself and as he's quite well off I take my hat off to him. The validity of his Kung Fu has always been in question and in many circles he is considered a joke. Really nobody can be bothered with him. Many just are amazed at how many people flock to his door but like I said he is a mass marketer and obviously good at it.

If LT's Kung Fu is a representation of Yip Man then I would have to say YM was BS as well. We all know he wasn't so the buck has to end with LT.

I admire your loyalty but you really don't know too much about anything but I can see you like the internet fighting. You are good at that although you seem to be more a punch bag these days rather than offer anybody any credible information.

No more from me. Ciao

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Dude LT learnt hardly anything from Yip Man. I guess if he told you he was your Dad you would believe him. What LT is good at is marketing himself and as he's quite well off I take my hat off to him. The validity of his Kung Fu has always been in question and in many circles he is considered a joke. Really nobody can be bothered with him. Many just are amazed at how many people flock to his door but like I said he is a mass marketer and obviously good at it.

If LT's Kung Fu is a representation of Yip Man then I would have to say YM was BS as well. We all know he wasn't so the buck has to end with LT.

I admire your loyalty but you really don't know too much about anything but I can see you like the internet fighting. You are good at that although you seem to be more a punch bag these days rather than offer anybody any credible information.

No more from me. Ciao
    What does it matter how much he directly learned from Yip Man? Yes he was very good set marketing himself. He is not alone in wing chun circles there. I do not know what you mean by validity of his gung fu. He has produced some good people. Some of them might be able to easily wipe the floor with you. What does that mean? He knows wing chun, he is a scoundrel at making money, he promotes himself and makes little of others, many of his followers thinks the sun shines out his arse and so forth. That describes him and many others also including you know who. I am sure some in wing chun consider him a joke but that could be said of just about anyone including you know who. The old your teacher is a bum and my teacher is the real deal is a little boy folly.

Its just a form nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    What does it matter how much he directly learned from Yip Man?.
    Oh dear! The idiot disease is spreading.

Wong Shun Leung.

Oh dear! The idiot disease is spreading.
    its a valid question, how much does lineage matter

i mean we all saw how well a direct student of PB (WSLs long term direct student who was in turn one of yip mans longest serving students) did against someone whose lineage wasnt that close to Yip man, he got his ass handed to him in a friendly chi sao match So how much does lineage matter

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    its a valid question, how much does lineage matter

i mean we all saw how well a direct student of PB (WSLs long term direct student who was in turn one of yip mans longest serving students) did against someone whose lineage wasnt that close to Yip man, he got his ass handed to him in a friendly chi sao match So how much does lineage matter
    Some people love lineage because they like the comfort of thinking my teacher is the real deal and giving me the good stuff while his teacher is a fraud or incompetent leading him down the garden path. That makes me feel superior knowing that I have the true understanding lol.

Dude LT learnt hardly anything from Yip Man.
    That's a pretty bold statement, considering that you weren't there and, in fact, YM had died before you'd even heard of Wing Chun. Did PB tell you this (he was there?); or WSL told you this (he was there at those private lessons too?); or are you claiming that YM himself told WSL this, who in turn told PB, who then told you?

If you, Graham, had learnt most of the WSL system from a teacher, and then you met PB and had the chance to have a private lesson with him each and every week... for about a year and a half... and in addition, each time you visited you also later grabbed a coffee with the man and spend a couple of hours talking WCK and asking all and any questions you liked... are you saying you'd have "learn't hardly anything" from PB during that year and a half?

You've actually been visiting PB for a good few years. How often do you visit? How many hours of personal one-to-one tuition have you had?

What LT is good at is marketing himself and as he's quite well off I take my hat off to him.
    Yes, he is - and as a result he pi$$ed off quite a few WCK guys in Hong Kong who had been learning far longer, and had far fewer students. LT was interviewed by magazines, appeared on TV, etc. Some felt a little left out.

The validity of his Kung Fu has always been in question and in many circles he is considered a joke.
    See above.

Plus, YM himself didn't seem to question LT's Kung Fu. So who did... yes, other teachers from the YM line. Surprise surprise. (Edit: it is no coincidence, I think, that LT's critics only started that criticism after Yip Man died. Strangely, none of them voiced these opinions when YM was alive to respond to them. I wonder why.)

yadda yadda ... rather than offer anybody any credible information.
    What credible information are you after?

Look, I know where this comes from - whenever you decide to post. It always leads to the LT bashing. LT's WT is very different to PB's approach to the system. Because you see PB's approach as being right, you convince yourself that all other approaches are wrong.

Your above arguments are very silly indeed. You don't live in Germany and so I doubt very much that you visit PB on a weekly basis... yet you seem to take issue with LT's learning from Yip Man (about a year and a half with him), even though - of course - your teacher himself never met Yip Man once.

If you like learning from PB, that's great. He looks very talented. But when you say things like "Dude LT learnt hardly anything from Yip Man", I would ask you something you've just thrown up as a weird criticism of me... where is your credible information to support this silly statement?
    Last edited by BPWT..; 05-08-2014 at 08:30 AM.