Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: More White Crane

Here is another data point for anyone that may be interested. If you aren't interested in history, then please just ignore it. I pulled out my copy of "The Essence of Shaolin White Crane: Martial Power and Qigong" by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming. Dr. Yang says this on page 97:

Yongchun Quan was derived from Southern White Crane during the Qing Qian Long period (1736-1796). There is a saying that Yongchun Quan was started by the lady Yan, Yong-Chun who learned Southern White Crane techniques from the Buddhist nun Wumei in the mountains of Yunnan Province. Wumei's original name was Lu, Si-Niang. Later Yong-Chun brought the techniques back to Canton, where they became the Yongchun Fist.

Now, I'm not saying that this proves anything just because Dr. Yang wrote it in a book. I note this just to illustrate that here is one well known White Crane master that supported a Wing Chun & White Crane connection at least as far back as 1996.

Only for those that are interested. Sifu Lee Kong doing some Fukien White Crane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5BXGjYQ7EU

Great to see this form (SLT origins) performed by Sifu Lee Kong. Thanks for posting. In my own, personal research for lineage roots I am interested in this form as a reference to some of the techniques used in Wing Chun SLT so that I may further understand their intended use. I like to combine both YongChun and WingChun in my practice but also have much appreciation for the embodiment of many styles. * Note how Fook Sao is extended only once (right/Left) and not a repetition of 3 times as in WC SLT. This makes sense to me, anyway. My lineage nicknamed Fook Sao "Little Cannon" many years ago in Hong Kong and the SLT video demonstration by Hung Kuen Master Lam Yan shows Fook Sao used in this way, even though my own lineage does not show such emphasis when SLT form is demonstrated. On the other-hand, the Fook Sao demonstrated by Master Lee Kong shows a flowing "Push-Hands" application which also makes as much sense, combat-wise. I like to use Fook Sao more as a push hand to allow for wrist rotation one inch palmstrike technique, but still like the idea of using the Fook Sao as a battering ram, I do practice Kuk Sool wrist nerve conditioning exercises that would allow me to use it in this way without too much harm. Even to use Fook Sao as a pushing technique you would want to deaden those nerves a bit to prevent sprain if applied. * Exercise: Fook Sao hand position close to body, push with open palm on back of Fook Sao hand. Then, push with open palm on same hand palm to force wrist in opposite direction. If nerves do not bother you, not to worry.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-26-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Only for those that are interested. Sifu Lee Kong doing some Fukien White Crane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5BXGjYQ7EU
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    An interesting and good looking form. And ofcourse crane style and snake style influences
    are likely to have been historically there in wing chun.

However some wing chun syntheses have gone far beyond the snake and crane
    via fighting on the red boats, Leung Jan's fights, Ip Man's fights and some of his students and grandstudents
    fights and analyses.IMO of course.
    -

Agreed. WingChun is now very much a pugilistic style, maybe even before it got off the boats.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Agreed. WingChun is now very much a pugilistic style, maybe even before it got off the boats.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wing chun that I do is more than just puglism. It has its own way of coordinating the body
    and issuing power for piercing, throwing, seizing and hurting......
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 05-26-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Systems either evolve or they die ( or get steamed rolled).
    While it is great to know some history, it is what they system is NOW that matters. What YOU can DO with it NOW that is crucial.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1269110]Systems either evolve or they die ( or get steamed rolled).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe in some cases they are not properly learned in the first place.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1269112]
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Systems either evolve or they die ( or get steamed rolled).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe in some cases they are not properly learned in the first place.
    That is always a possibility.
    That said, we see progression/evolution in every MA that is geared towards actual fighting.
    Maybe not in all styles of course, but that is their loss.
    Look at boxing, look what it was 100 years ago and look at it now ( technique and training wise) the principles are still there of course BUT it has adapted and evolved beyond what it was ( pros and cons of course).
    In MA, the rise of grappling and then/now MMA has presented the opportunity for growth in MA and the best systems will be those that can adapt to the changes and survive.
    It is important to NOT forget where we come from ( it keeps us humble and open to change since change is what drove ever new MA to be developed) BUT we must never be stagnate in our MA growth.
    Doing so would be a dishonor to that developed of our chosen MA(s).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wing chun that I do is more than just puglism. It has its own way of coordinating the body
    and issuing power for piercing, throwing, seizing and hurting......
    Would like to see it remain so.

[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1269113]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

That is always a possibility.
    That said, we see progression/evolution in every MA that is geared towards actual fighting.
    Maybe not in all styles of course, but that is their loss.
    Look at boxing, look what it was 100 years ago and look at it now ( technique and training wise) the principles are still there of course BUT it has adapted and evolved beyond what it was ( pros and cons of course).
    In MA, the rise of grappling and then/now MMA has presented the opportunity for growth in MA and the best systems will be those that can adapt to the changes and survive.
    It is important to NOT forget where we come from ( it keeps us humble and open to change since change is what drove ever new MA to be developed) BUT we must never be stagnate in our MA growth.
    Doing so would be a dishonor to that developed of our chosen MA(s).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some similarities and differences in views,
    1. Yes- boxing, grappling keeps on evolving for the better. And. kung fu stylists have to learn how to deal with them.

2. However- a controversial issue- there are differences between sportfighting and fighting when lives can be at stake.
    Some paths point towards the latter. Most to the former because of the evolution of civil societies. Depending on where
    in this world one lives there are broken turfs even in civil societies.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1269118]
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some similarities and differences in views,
    1. Yes- boxing, grappling keeps on evolving for the better. And. kung fu stylists have to learn how to deal with them.

2. However- a controversial issue- there are differences between sportfighting and fighting when lives can be at stake.
    Some paths point towards the latter. Most to the former because of the evolution of civil societies. Depending on where
    in this world one lives there are broken turfs even in civil societies.
    This is the struggle of every martial art. Connect to the past to remain authentic, connect to the future to remain relevant, all while only being able to affect the present.