Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why are you interested in TCMA history?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefighter View Post
    Absolutely true. but is that a good thing?
    Allegedly, the Romans were a small farming community who created their own mythological history of being the descendants of the might Romulus. Gradually they started taking over more land because they felt it was their destiny.
    The USA had a destiny to manifest at one point too, and so did the Germans, etc...
    I believed the Pilgrims were our forefathers until i got to college
    Does holding a mythology/"history" near and dear benefit training or society? I wonder which happens more- a legitimate technique is passed on because of an ancient history, or a concept is lost because the ancient history fills the place where a gentle jab to the nose would have been a more valid lesson?
    Great post.

In response, I think it depends. If the story inspires action that is informed by reality, it could be good. If it inspires action just to inspire that action, it can make us into the tool of others. The truth value of the story does not necessarily determine which of those responses it inspires.

That's a good point.
    I wonder if it's important for each style to include the common ancient history/story as that style is passed down, or if the history study should be left to scholars? Serious querry...
    --—••—--•--—••—–-
    Its only a problem if there is a solution
    ⚓️

Those that do not learn from history, are bound to repeat it.
    I think that passing down the history of a MA is crucial for the practitioners to get a TOTAL understanding of the art.
    I think it makes a difference to the student when he learns that his art was founded and developed by fighters as opposed to being developed for other reasons.
    I think it matters to understand if a system has a military background or a civilian background as that can help one understand certain principles and tools in the system.
    Students just need to be told HONESTLY what a systems history is, which parts are true and which are not and which are just color and flavor for storytelling.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefighter View Post
    That's a good point.
    I wonder if it's important for each style to include the common ancient history/story as that style is passed down, or if the history study should be left to scholars? Serious querry...
    I definitely agree actual history is best done by historians. However, folk stories are another thing. Everyone has them. Modern people who think otherwise tend to forget that Paul Revere never finished his ride, just as the Romans were not descended from Wolf orphans.