Thread: Are "Grandmasters" helping or hurting the progress of kung fu?

Threaded View

Are "Grandmasters" helping or hurting the progress of kung fu?

Everyone is aware that lately the credibility of TCMA as a practical art is being challenged by MMA.

I've studied at a kung fu school branch that was part of a system lead by a single, unquestioned, unchallenged "Grandmaster". He was a very talented and respectable one at that.
    His schools were extremely well organized (Chain of command) with excellent communication. The system's Sifus and students were also very talented and well disciplined.
    However, the only problem I saw was that the Grandmaster was nearly worshipped like a god who could do no wrong. Forms, techniques, teaching style, traditions, etc were never challenged, questioned, or altered except only through the grandmaster. Meaning the schools could not progress with the changing times without approval from the grandmaster. The school obviously currently teaches traditional forms that are outdated and no longer applicable to today's society and are merely taught for the sake of tradition.

On the other hand, I have been to schools that are stand-alones, with no connection or link to any other schools. There were no "Grandmasters" to oversee the quality and discipline of the school. The sifu was more liberal and constantly looking for ways for his school to adapt and progress with the changing times. Unfortunately, these schools were extremely undisciplined, sloppy forms and sloppy techniques, and an unfocused sifu in regards to the future of the school and its style. However, the environment was much more relax, no military drills like the other type, and no real chain of command.

So it leaves me with a conundrum.
    If a well organized and disciplined school is being stymied by a nearly worshipped "Grandmaster", how can kung fu progress?
    If a much liberal school willing to adapt but is unorganized and sloppy because it does not have to answer to a higher command, how can kung fu progress?

Back to my original question,
    Do "Grandmasters" help or hurt the progress of kung fu?
    Or is kung fu doomed to collapse on itself?
    Last edited by Wuxia007; 05-15-2014 at 08:26 AM.