Thread: Wing Chun clinch defence

Wing Chun clinch defence

How do you defend your self against clinch. It is easy if you are bigger and stronger than your opponent , but you are not than there is a problem . What do you think about this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbF0MftDKd8

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    How do you defend your self against clinch. It is easy if you are bigger and stronger than your opponent , but you are not than there is a problem . What do you think about this ?

I watched the first part of the video. It was inadequate clinch work or more rather, clinch in theory only. Someone with reasonable Greco-roman wrestling, Muay Thai or MMA will provide an effective clinch model or framework within which you can test, train, refine and optimize Wing Chun shapes.

Basic clinch positions include single/double neck or collar ties, over and under hooks, body lock with gable or butterfly grip, cross face. Add in WC strategy such as biu tze, lan sau (barring), gum sau (pinning arm), bik (pressing), knees, elbows etc and you'll develop a workable clinch method.

Random thoughts,

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

I'm a hop gar and tai chi man so I'm not sure how this would work to a wing chun man but my school has figured out a way to deal with the clinch.

Option 1. Hit the person...a lot. Just send your arms in a corkscrew movement over the arms into the face and press your body against his as hard as you can. My friend is a world championship muay thai fighter and he HATES it when we do this. He doesn't even clinch us anymore unless its for a quick knee then he immediately lets go.

Option 2. If you have on smaller gloves and not punching glove or bare knuckled, just punch his upper thigh repeatedly. Hahaha I have ****ed off many a clincher with this because its something unique that they haven't seen before.

So thats just us.

Hope you guys post some cool stuff.

P.S. I almost forgot.

Option 3. Use a step through and throw a pao choy and his entire structure is compromised. I have really messed up some sparring partners shoulders with that to the point I don't use it unless I'm bouncing or fighting.

My bad, I forgot to comment on the video. The stepping through and rotation into the shoulder is pretty much the pao choy just without that strike that destroys the shoulder. So yeah.
    Last edited by crazedjustice88; 05-15-2014 at 10:08 PM.

"Or just control him..."

Yeah, alright. Why didn't I think of that?

IMO, the most important thing in dealing with the clinch is body structure which will allow you to keep your spine vertical when they want to pull you down and smash you. Resisting by pulling your neck back is natural but causes more damage and drains energy. The first step is getting your hips under you, getting close, then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post

He has terrible clinch.

Both of them are clinching the neck which is a subtle mistake. The palms should be at the back of the head to enable you, the clincher, to bend the neck and have better control of the opponent. If you do clinch the neck you can see how easier it is to escape from his demo. Keeping a good structure against a good thai clinch is incredibly difficult especially if it is the standing version of the can opener.

I would like to see a more alive version of him in action then we would have a more reasonable understanding of his applications against non-compliance

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    that vid sucked. who in there right mind initiates a clinch like that? Most clinches are set up with something else (strikes). the definition of a clinch is not just a full plum. There are many different types of clinch as someone stated above. I liked how the guy demonstrated how to get out of a clinch using a spiral rotation, yeah that works if you are 7 foot tall and your opponent shorter. You get someone on a level size ratio it's a little harder or if you are the smaller.
    Last edited by Dragonzbane76; 05-17-2014 at 04:39 AM.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Three Bows to Buddha

Three Bows to Buddha (Bli Jee) can deal with the clinch when the body alignments are correct. That particular movement can be powerful, and at the same time create a very strong leverage against the clinch. I won't make a clip because I don't want to upset anyone like always. But, anyone that trains in Bil Jee (seriously) should know this.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Three Bows to Buddha (Bli Jee) can deal with the clinch when the body alignments are correct. That particular movement can be powerful, and at the same time create a very strong leverage against the clinch. I won't make a clip because I don't want to upset anyone like always. But, anyone that trains in Bil Jee (seriously) should know this.

Take care,
    You can't win Ali! I am upset that you won't make the clips, such as the one on intent that you talked about! I can't complain really, I've not made any clips available.