Thread: Trip to China - Kung fu or monkey info

Trip to China - Kung fu or monkey info

I've been “lurking” around this forum for many … many years, but never made a post. I've studied various Styles/Systems from a few different instructors, but now just work out on my own. Anyway I know this isn't a travel forum, but thought someone might be able to provide some useful info. I will be traveling to China this summer and Gene’s “Shaolin Trips” really got me interested in visiting the temple, but, unfortunately, there is simply no way will it fit into our travel plans. I will be in Beijing for a few days, but because of the wedding I will spend most of the trip in Changsha.

I don't want to train, but would be interested in seeing some Chinese martial arts. At one point in my training I was given a monkey form and, as a result, I became fascinated with anything related to the monkey and Chinese culture….monkey “style” or the various iterations of monkey you see in a number of styles/systems. I have also been conducting some informal research on the monkey king.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I will be traveling with a family member who is from China and, thus speaks excellent Chinese…..thus language is not a problem. About the only information I could find was the “Red Theater of Beijing” and a painting of “Sun Wukong's Fight with Nezha” in the Summer Place, also in Beijing. I've been searching around quite a bit, but have not come up with much information. Any information would be most helpful!

Brian

Are you looking for information about the Monkey King as it pertains to Monkey Fist, or just general information about the novel he appears in?

Actually either would be fine….just looking for anything near the area I will be in (i.e., Changsha or Beijing.)

Well, I'm not sure of any information on Monkey from that area, but I have access to some material I could email to you. For instance, I have Prof. Anthony C. Yu's updated 2012 translation of the novel in EPUB format, and I also have copies of research papers written by scholars, one of which explores Monkey's influence by both native Chinese and foreign Hindu sources. Just send me your email in a private message if you are interested. You might find this paper I wrote interesting. It's more about the origins of his staff, but still interesting.

http://historum.com/blogs/ghostexorc...nkey-king.html

Thanks so much Ghostexorcist! I've sent you a DM. It is also fascinating to consider how the Monkey King has had an impact on contemporary culture in the US. For example, Maxine Hong Kingston's book "Tripmaster Monkey:His Fake Book" or Fred Ho's 1997 production of "Monkey King Journey to the East"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ_jAxY69uc

Brian

There's this guy:

http://www.hyd-masti.com/2012/02/chi...n-city-of.html

Sorry, nothing more to add. Hope you have a great trip!

Ha! Faux Newbie....I may just have to check that out! Thanks!

Thanks Firehawk4 some useful travel info in the link. Also find it interesting that a tournament was held in Changsha called "The King of Kung Fu" ...my relatives in Changsha basically say that no one really does martial arts in their city. Probably they just are not aware of any events as it's just not their area of interest.

For Wushu tours, you may check out Universities with Wushu research programs.

For Monkey stuff, it is famed for Monkey staff.

I am aware of southern pi gua school in hongkong and Drunken monkey fist and staff in several mantis schools.

Best of luck.

Research, research and research.

Thanks SPJ! Yes the Universities are a great idea...also interested to hear the area is noted for "monkey staff"...I never learned a monkey form with a staff, but always wanted one because of the staff's connection to the fabled Monkey King. Funny you mention Hong Kong and monkey.....I was taught a monkey form many years ago and a few years ago was given a tape of a performer on a roof top in Hong Kong doing, not exactly the same form, but many of the same movements. Thanks again.
    Brian