Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: Better to carry, mace or a knife

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post

First, you have to be able to get to the knife and not injure yourself doing it. Then, you need to be aware that knives are MESSY. You can do a lot of damage with one - but that also means BLOOD. How many untrained...and for that matter trained people...are comfortable with the level of blood that comes with a simple knife confrontation. Blood is also sticky and messy. Old time knife fighters would often train with things like pig bladders filled with blood to get used to the wetness, the stickiness, and the impact all of this would have on their timing and grip of the knife.
    "I would not mention or take account of a man for his prowess in running or in wrestling, not even if he had the size and strength of the Cyclopes and could outstrip the wind in the race, nor if he were more handsome than Paris, nor richer than Midas, nor if he had reputation for everything save furious valour. For no man is good in war unless he can endure the sight of bloody slaughter and, standing close, can lunge at the enemy." --- Tyrtaeus, the poet of Sparta c.640 B.c

The oft ignored psychological factor really defines the utility of Martial Arts, and is relative to the person. I agree with all you said above.
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You can 'what if' any scenario to death. What if FN's female friend is a chef or a butcher? I'd place my money on a professional who uses a blade everyday over someone with some cursory martial arts training.
    And that's another point. I'm betting most butchers would be more formidable with a knife than most 'tactical knife' MA instructors.

On another note, it's not so easy to disarm a knife from someone, even an untrained person, as most people, especially MAists, seem to believe. Real life isn't a Steven Seagal/Chuck Norris movie or MA demo. Especially if the knife-wielding person is agitated and/or determined. And if it were that easy, then you should simply be able to re-disarm your attacker and take your knife back. Then he can do the same and the two of you can go back and forth forever.

In the country im living in,carrying things like mace or knife is forbidden,but..
    A knife has more potential than a mace to lead the situation into a worse state ; knife can kill.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You can 'what if' any scenario to death. What if FN's female friend is a chef or a butcher? I'd place my money on a professional who uses a blade everyday over someone with some cursory martial arts training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    And that's another point. I'm betting most butchers would be more formidable with a knife than most 'tactical knife' MA instructors.

I think you are both right. A few years ago this fella who owns an Italian restaurant came into our school. He had some, but very limited MA training and nothing with fighting knives. So, we were working our Kali material one day and decided to do a little end of class rubber knife coated with chalk sparring. Being a chef and culinary knife expert he scored cut after cut on all but the most advanced students. The only difference in the cut locations were the ones on his uniform were life threatening and the ones on the advanced students were mostly in non threatening locations. Still, I'd put my money on him against all but the most advanced knife fighters any day.

As for me and the question of this thread. I always carry a knife or two, so I say knife all the way. I also live in TX so I tend to carry my .40 as well. Really it's more for the animals than people. It be wild down here in the rural south.

I personally never advise anyone to carry a weapon who is not well versed in it anyway.
    Having a weapon on your person can often lead to that weapon being used on you.
    Better to advocate higher awareness and so on.
    TO learn to stay out of sketchy areas, situations.
    To learn to be silent when a situation is noyfb.

These kinds of things are much more useful than a weapon.
    imo.

Having said that, I take my Kung Fu everywhere with me. (even on to planes!)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Our freshest feature article

A New Series from our Publisher! READ EDC: Iron Fans by Gene Ching

Iron-Fans
    Question-Better-to-carry-mace-or-a-knife
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart