Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something to discuss... Pole students check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Again, what you are describing here is what the dummies provide, all except a follow up advance or live partner??
    The dummy provides live resistance and response when you hit its poles, like a pole held by an actual human?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    The dummy provides live resistance and response when you hit its poles, like a pole held by an actual human?
    No I was trying to suggest that the other attributes like power and angling can be beneficial before moving onto live partner training. If a partner is standing there and allowing you to develop, I see it as no different than using a dummy. It's only when they then begin possible advances or reactive movements that it becomes alive, and yes that training is required too!

As an example, I hadn't trained with a person in a while and when I did my power had increased so much they simply couldn't even hold onto the pole when I started to move into them. This was because of my solo power drills on apparatus like this pole dummy. That 'Wing Chun pole only makes one sound' really does exist.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    If a partner is standing there and allowing you to develop, I see it as no different than using a dummy. It's only when they then begin possible advances or reactive movements that it becomes alive,
    What I meant by "live response" was not that it's an alive drill, but that hitting the flimsy sticks on this pole dummy will not give you a human response, and if you put really thick, solid poles on it, you aren't going to get much of a response at all. If all that's being trained on this dummy are deflections, I can't find it that useful without a more realistic response from the pole.

I like Gary Lam's cross wok dummy, because it can have some weight to it, but it actually moves when you hit the arms or thrust to the body. I find that more useful than a static apparatus that you can only work deflections on and the poles don't even get deflected.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I like Gary Lam's cross wok dummy, because it can have some weight to it, but it actually moves when you hit the arms or thrust to the body. I find that more useful than a static apparatus that you can only work deflections on and the poles don't even get deflected.
    FME using such things the poles do get deflected if you have them mounted in such ways. I have always preferred the white wax wood sticks to the softer bamboo type but both have their qualities. There are also other types of dummies too, like the Gary Lam one you mention, so it's worthwhile to have a look around or even design your own especially if you are on your own for any length of time and unable to train with partners.

Still, I will always agree with you when it comes to using partners to train with! They are irreplaceable, and perhaps this is why these dummies exist too?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術