Thread: Should a Person Just Practice the Pole if there a old man ?

Hybrid View

Should a Person Just Practice the Pole if there a old man ?

Should a person just practice the Wing Chun pole or other kung fu pole techniques and forms if there a old man ? Instead of doing Kung Fu systems that they could not use in selfdefense ?

People are just that .... they are individuals and should practice, learn, express what suits them best and not that defined by a system, Association or style.

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Should a person just practice the Wing Chun pole or other kung fu pole techniques and forms if there a old man ? Instead of doing Kung Fu systems that they could not use in selfdefense ?
    Define "old". I'm 59, got my BJJ black belt last year, and expect to be doing it well into my seventies at least.

If your premise is that one's primary aim is self defense, the pole might not be your best choice - it's not that easy to take a long pole on public transport, on a bike, on a plane, etc.

Self defense IMO includes defending yourself against lifestyle related heart disease. You need some sort of weight bearing exercise and something to get you breathing hard at a minimum. Not sure the pole fits best.

If your concern is defense against violent assaults (which you are FAR less likely to die from than lifestyle related diseases or old age) a gun or combat folder might be a more practical weapon. Neither require a lot of fitness or strength to seriously damage another person.

Women don't get old in your universe, huh?
    Last edited by anerlich; 05-21-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Lets see old maybe 75 and older . Would a staff or a Japanese jo Staff be better for old people than the long pole in seldefense in very violent assaults ?

Lets see old maybe 75 and older . Would a staff or a Japanese jo Staff be better for old people than the long pole in seldefense in very violent assaults ?
    Maybe better to learn to use a walking stick as a weapon ... La Canne being one of many methodologies. Maybe jo.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Escrima/Kali is your best bet if you are going to be carrying around a cane.

I’m 50 years old; and I’ll walk with a stick and blade all the time (when walking the dogs) in my neighborhood. But, while in the city, I prefer carrying something that would spin you in a circle and knock you straight on your a$$, but he’s right; “Kali would be the way to go”.

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 05-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.

One can have a walking stick of Jo length when out and about hiking and walking around town and such without most people noticing. And a Jo length stick can be adapted to some WCK pole techniques fairly well. But if you are really worried about something for self-defense at all times, a tactical folder makes the most sense.

Firehawk, I'm not sure what you are asking with your old man practicing question. Are you concerned about it affects health, or usefulness for fighting and self-defense?

Look to the elderly Phillipino gentlemen for examples here. Cane plus escrima/kali. Plenty of gentlemen in this category have put down young punks for years.

The stick, rather than the pole, is the Father of all Chinese Martial Arts weaponry. It is not the stick that you will need to defend yourself, it is the benefits reaped from years and years of training correctly that you will carry in your hands. In actual fact, you may not need the stick in your old age at all, but they do make excellent therapy apparatus!

The pole is simply an extension of the stick and has very specific adjustments to make better use of additional length and weight. I have heard a story of my Sigung using a pole in his sixties that none of his younger students could even lift off the floor.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術