Thread: Wing Chun and White Crane masters sharing and finding much in common....

Wing Chun and White Crane masters sharing and finding much in common....

With all the recent talk about WC and White Crane here is an example of sharing quite a few years ago....

Below is written by a White Crane expert Sifu Eric Ling about one of his many sessions with GM Ku Choi Wah.

"Wing Chun Kuen and White Crane. December 9, 2007

1 attack 3 strikes is the law.
    1 pull 1 push to disrupt ying yang.
    Keep arriving and send outgoing, using your swiftness to devastate.
    When the bridging is gone, strike out straight.
    Use firmness to beat sloppiness.
    3 ying and 3 yang, generate power from changes in stances (waist).

A section of the handwritten “kuen kuit” or “fists poem” from Ku Sifu of Ban Chung Wing Chun.

What is it doing here?

To give you a concept of how Ku Sifu and I compare notes.

Almost all of the above theories are found in the White Crane that I do.
    "

Here Eric describes his school's understanding...

"Take the 2nd line for instance, 1 pull and 1 push is one of our primary principles used to offset opponent balance for control or throwing or to use the old tongue; disrupting opponent’s ying yang.
    A technique to demonstrate this push/pull principle. (pics above).
    The attacker’s jab is deflected by a “wing hand”. The defender moves in, pushes with the right hand and pulls with the left. This “twist” the spine of the attacker and the defender uses his right elbow to smash down.
    Again, like I stated before, to look for connection, we got to go deeper than “common” techniques and look for special markers.

Spending time work together with Ku Sifu is so rewarding; his knowledge, both theoretical and practical, of WCK is really excellent.

Touching hands with him is a total revelation.

So when he advocates that Wing Chun and White Crane could plausibly spring from the same source, I tend to be really swayed….

Posted by eric88ling
    "
    Last edited by FongSung; 05-17-2014 at 06:48 AM.

NO SECRET's - Openess and generosity for those who can be interested to seek us out.

"Bun Chung WCK – Ku Choy Wah. November 18, 2007

ku-ah-thai.gif

Master Ku and Ah Thai.

Here’s a man who has devoted most part of his life to the preservation and promotion of his style of kung fu.

In all the 10 plus years that I have known him, he’s still the same steadfast kung fu teacher, oftentimes against adverse conditions, working hard to pass on the arts.

Meet him and he will strike you as someone who is meticulously informed about CKF and having no misgivings at all about sharing what he knows.

Every session I have with him, inevitably, goes into in-depth discussion about evolution and transmission of the arts from mainland to SE Asia. The more I talk to him, the more I realize how passionate this man is when it comes to the arts – simply unbelievable!

Think I am exaggerating? Try this; every time I bump into him, he would have a portable DVD player and a bunch of CKF DVDs, all ready for discussion. It’s either that or he will have documents, books or other handwritten materials on him….

And he is all about his WCK – “Opera Wing Chun” to be exact and his vocation to maintain this line.

A calling that has brought him to Malaysia and China many times to connect and rebuild ties that was broken.

I, for one, really respect his energy.

In Penang, he brought me to “Poon Yue Association” to meet a gentleman who is one of the late GM Cho Onn disciples.

Master Ku received his WCK from a relative first and then went under the wing of GM Cho Onn. Coming to Penang, Cho Onn-chosen home after leaving mainland is like homecoming for Master Ku.

And just before we left Penang, we went to see Ah Thai, Cho Onn’s son-in-law.
    Watching these 2 seniors together and hearing them talk about old times – folks, this is exactly the kind of moment that inspires me ……..

Posted by eric88ling

Filed in asian fighting arts, chinese kung fu, sports, traditional martial arts, Uncategorized
    Tagged: asian fighting arts, chinese kung fu, sports, traditional martial arts
    Leave a Comment »
    "
    Last edited by FongSung; 05-17-2014 at 03:37 AM.

More Sharing

"
    Cho Gar Wing Chun Master Ku Choi Wah October 25, 2007

Ku Choi Wah and his Cho Gar Bun Chung Wing Chun Kuen.

You probably heard this one; “10,000 miles cannot stop those fated to meet” or maybe not, since this is a Chinese credence.

Well, I do, at least, in the case with Master Ku.

It would appear that every time I’m back in Singapore, without appointment of any sorts, I would bump into him. Yes, I know Singapore is small but still there are some school mates that I have not seen since graduation…and ahem, that’s quite a while back…

So blame it on fate or the fact that we both like to browse the same CKF bookshops …..

First met him some 10 years ago through a friend who was studying Cho Gar with him at that time. My first contact with Cho Gar; doing one long form instead of the more widespread 3 forms, I was surprised by similarities between this system and what I do in Fuzhou White Crane. The same TTFC, whipping and even the “one hand 3 techniques” concept that I, ignorantly, thought only exist in White Crane.

Master Ku must be one of the most committed CKF teachers I’ve met, against much odds, he somehow is still able to go on with imparting his skills to students.

Talking to him, on many occasions, he recounted how some abused the knowledge that he disclosed but still those experiences are not dissuading him.

With a handful of loyal and devoted students, Master Ku is keeping the Cho Gar Wing Chun flag flying high.

This recent trip back to Singapore, I again called on him and was delighted by an invitation to watch him teach.

A short clip showing one of his students, Patrick Tham, doing “Ngar Wu” or “Crow Lake” Wing Chun; another name for his branch of WCK.

Both Master and student will be participating in the upcoming Penang event.

Posted by eric88ling

Filed in asian fighting arts, chinese kung fu, sports, traditional martial arts, Uncategorized
    Tagged: asian fighting arts, chinese kung fu, sports, traditional martial arts
    Leave a Comment »
    "
    Last edited by FongSung; 05-17-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Interesting accounts! Thanks FongSung. Sure seems to me like similarities and a link between Wing Chun and White Crane is more than just "wishful thinking."

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Interesting accounts! Thanks FongSung. Sure seems to me like similarities and a link between Wing Chun and White Crane is more than just "wishful thinking."
    Actually I was trying to point out that there is actually a lot of openness and sharing going on in this part of the world but the old timers do it face to face..hand to hand not from a keyboard. You can type as much theory as you want and write pages on the most simplest of things all of which can be done in a few seconds face to face one touch and you know if someone has Kung Fu or is just a scholar, yes?

It's not like many posted here about secret closed in-door group's isolating themselves from everyone else!

Some really good information FongSung, thanks very much for posting and drawing attention to it!

Quote Originally Posted by FongSung View Post
    Actually I was trying to point out that there is actually a lot of openness and sharing going on in this part of the world but the old timers do it face to face..hand to hand not from a keyboard. You can type as much theory as you want and write pages on the most simplest of things all of which can be done in a few seconds face to face one touch and you know if someone has Kung Fu or is just a scholar, yes?

It's not like many posted here about secret closed in-door group's isolating themselves from everyone else!
    What?? Your mean we have to actually touch hands???
    (Shivers in fear)

Quote Originally Posted by FongSung View Post

Yes! Good points!

Wow, thanks for compiling that list! I have seen some of them before and have been really impressed, particularly with regards to the apparent elasticity of his body. He is someone I would very much like to chi sau with.