Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM William Cheung returns Wing Chun to Shaolin Temple

GM William Cheung returns Wing Chun to Shaolin Temple

GM William Cheung returns Wing Chun to Shaolin Temple - a controversial claim or justified?
    Name:  mqdefault.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  12.9 KB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp-CEITLnLI

I can't help respecting someone who has been practicing Wing Chun for over 60 years and is still agile and skillful!

Wing Chun is a Puzzle, enclosed in an Enigma, set within a Mystery!
    The Truth is Out There - Somewhere!

Will be interesting to see TCMA WingChun trained monks go up against Mainstream MMA, should look different than the usual brawling exhibition considering the monk temperament and stylized ingrained training. Thanks for the head's up!

Interesting , William always had excellent ideas how to promote him self and his style

Yes. He's not waiting around for Master Hendrik and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to rewrite WingChun History. Back to where it once belonged in Wing Chun Hall / Shaolin Snake Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Yes. He's not waiting around for Master Hendrik and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to rewrite WingChun History. Back to where it once belonged in Wing Chun Hall / Shaolin Snake Temple.
    Yup, he is a man of action . On the other hand he and Leung Ting are the worst things happened to Wing Chun ever .

Yeah, I've spent a number of years in the Shaolin area training and studying a lot of the arts from around Henan Province. All the arts in the Song Mountain region share a distinct flavor. There is honestly zero evidence whatsoever that anything like Wing Chun was ever done in that area. The only thing anyone could say is that it's possible Shaolin arts moved south through the centuries and only following the evolution and development of several arts, Wing Chun finally emerged. It's like a very distilled version of Shaolin in the small frame, but it is still vastly different than what is done in Henan. It was certainly never taught or practiced there. Even a glance into the past couple of centuries at Shaolin, and what is currently practiced, unchanged for several centuries in the mountain villages there, would answer that question.

To say you're bringing Wing Chun "back to the temple" is nonsense (especially TWC!). But Cheung and the Abbot are both businessmen. Shaolin can only benefit from attracting practitioners of the most practiced TCMA worldwide, and Cheung can definitely benefit from it being his version being "brought back" by the Shaolin abbot.

It's a shame they do this, really.

BTW, I didn't get it. Who are they going to fight? I'm afraid training performance monks in TWC is setting everyone up for a huge embarrassment if these are fights where they have no control over the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    Yup, he is a man of action . On the other hand he and Leung Ting are the worst things happened to Wing Chun ever .
    Instead of "worst thing ever", perhaps "worst thing so far".
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I'm sceptical about these MMA fights with monks. Doubt it will ever happen against top flight guys.

Besides guys like Obasi and Alan Orr are doing it for WC already.

I'm from the TWC lineage, and while it does have groundfighting, it's definitely not up to snuff with modern MMA. Unless his takedown defense has progressed and become dramatically more sophisticated since when I last saw him teach it, I see a long line of monks suffering clinch takedowns or leg shoots.

I started learning BJJ not long after I last saw him, and I reckon what I've learned from grapplers in that respect would definitely be more complete and sophisticated than anything any bunch of WC guys who don't crosstrain could come up with on their own.

To win in MMA, you need to train like an MMA fighter. not a Shaolin monk. I would have thought ring fighting would be against their principles.

A good article about why Chinese martial artists largely haven't succeeded in MMA:

http://dynastyclothingstore.wordpres...d-with-videos/
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Yes. He's not waiting around for Master Hendrik and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to rewrite WingChun History.
    Some say he rewrote WC history himself a while back.

Modern Wing Chun is all about ENTERTAINMENT. Enjoy the show!

When and where is this "reality show" scheduled to aire? I think it will be very interesting, if it actually happens!

Very surprised by the video...usually this is the sort of jingoistic, semi-racist stuff that mainland fight promoters peddle to Chinese, but the video is clearly meant for a Western audience. I don't get it.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

The whole deal with Cheung developing a TWC program for the Shoalin temple, whatever, good for him.

But holy heck, that video was trying to make him out as some sort of Kung Fu messiah.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Instead of "worst thing ever", perhaps "worst thing so far".
    Man! that's a scary thought.

Now, if I may paraphrase your own words (as a former LT student):

I'm from the WT lineage, and while it does have groundfighting, it's definitely not up to snuff with modern MMA. Unless his takedown defense has progressed and become dramatically more sophisticated since when I last saw LT teach it...

Yeah, I studied under William Cheung's evil twin, and my perspective on most WC/WT groundwork is the same as yours.

OK, actually we have a few decent "anti-grappling" techniques. And by anti-grappling, I mean escapes and reversals --responses to a shoot, clinch, lock or throw that help you get back into your striking game.

The trouble is, the only students who can apply them against resistance are those who already have some background in grappling. The pure strikers who don't have a sense for grappling and rolling are hopeless with this stuff. When I point this out (in favor of cross training) I become very unpopular in WC circles. Oh well...
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/