Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM William Cheung returns Wing Chun to Shaolin Temple

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I'm sceptical about these MMA fights with monks. Doubt it will ever happen against top flight guys.

Besides guys like Obasi and Alan Orr are doing it for WC already.
    Alan sure, but Obasi? That's more than a stretch. While yes, he's had one 'pro' fight almost 45 years ago and he should be credited for stepping in the ring, his perfomance there was dismall. And if you watch any of the shlubs he's 'fought' in his ameture events, well, he's not 'doing it' for me! or WC for that matter...
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Back in January there was an event in China, Hero Legends, in which Shi Yanzi, founder of the UK Shaolin Temple, was to fight Simon Marcus, an undefeated Muay Thai champion. It was Shi Yanzi's challenge match and was hyped big up until the fight night when suddenly his opponent was switched to some half-dead no-name guy, due to an 80-82kg weight and age difference, and of course he came out with the sloppy victory. Apparently, this sudden switching of opponents had become somewhat of a common thing with him.

Other than him, there was been another guy from Shaolin, although not a monk, named Yi Long. He just let people punch him, to, I guess, show his iron head skills, until one of them knocked him out for it. So, another embarrassment for Shaolin.

In Shaolin, these performance monks are just that. They do their forms for performance purposes. When it comes to anything fighting related, it's all Sanda- but not at the national level or beyond as you might expect from "elite warrior monks". Just average, really.

The one thing they do have is amazing conditioning and stamina. So it's a good material to work with and mold into a fighter if trained by the right person. But, Cheung? I guess the abbot didn't do much research on the top guys in the Wing Chun world before choosing who to collaborate with... it's all for commercial purpose, obviously. I predict rigged fights, if anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    The trouble is, the only students who can apply them against resistance are those who already have some background in grappling. The pure strikers who don't have a sense for grappling and rolling are hopeless with this stuff. When I point this out (in favor of cross training) I become very unpopular in WC circles. Oh well...
    I agree 100%.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Alan sure, but Obasi? That's more than a stretch. While yes, he's had one 'pro' fight almost 45 years ago and he should be credited for stepping in the ring, his perfomance there was dismall. And if you watch any of the shlubs he's 'fought' in his ameture events, well, he's not 'doing it' for me! or WC for that matter...
    To be honest, I know very little about Obasi.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    My view on Obasi? The drama surrounding his martial arts journey is well documented. Regardless of that, his fight record is better than mine. I haven't signed a contract and got in a ring. Until I step up and beat the same shlubs I really don't have much criticism. I mean I think that from my background and seeing his opponents most of them wouldn't be that much of a problem, but I don't really know that now do I unless I actually step up?

Alan has a MMA fight team that competes using wing chun. In that he is unique. I'm not aware of anyone else doing that.