Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Way Forward

Name:  41KQmVuonXL._SX300_.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  10.9 KB

We need more mermen.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

There has been a lot of discussion on this the Wing Chun forum that can best be described as unfortunate and I have been one of the biggest contributors to this mess. I've stated elsewhere why I felt the way I did and why I got involved.

But I'm not justifying myself. My behaviour has been questionable and even somewhat childish at times. I fully get this and am remorseful for that aspect of the discussion generally contributing towards lowering the tone.

I have come to realise one or two things during all this.

1/. Not everyone feels as passionately as I do.
    2/. Not everyone is honest and up-front when they should be.
    3/. A great many hide behind pseudonyms.
    4/. A great many have agenda's.
    5/. We All have to strive to lift the tone and behaviour exhibited here, myself no less than anyone else!

So I's like to ask you ALL to participate on how this can be achieved? What is the way forward?

As a means of starting discussion, why don't we treat each other as if we were in their school, Guan, Tang, Kwoon, Dojo whatever you want to call it?

What rules of conversation, discussion and engagement or agreeing to disagree could we apply to ourselves here on this forum, the whole forum?

How many of you are really for raising the bar here or am I simply pipe-dreaming?

I often read Gene Ching's posts in the Magazine about Wude, Martial Spirit, Ethics and behaviour and agree with his views whilst shaking my head at my own behaviour often not being aligned to these very same things that at one time or another we all have been exposed to, taught and ought to strive for.

So ... the discussion is open ... does anyone want to contribute?
    Please keep on subject.

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Thank you Ron. Good post and good idea.

I think too often people hide behind a pseudonym and a keyboard and write things that they would never say in a face to face situation. IMHO every discussion here, like you suggest, should be conducted as if we were in someone's school or at least sitting around drinks having a face to face conversation.
    This is exactly how the old timers do it, like I was saying in another thread, face to face .... wanna talk can no problem but then its ...ok show, lets touch hands lah. If they cannot show or refuse to touch hands (which many do) then they have to shut up.

WC is very simple but abstract. ..no need to talk so much.... practice, touch hands, share and discuss then like all fighting arts you will slowly master it.

The problem in tcma is finding people to touch hands with who have no ego and not embarrassed to so called lose or be hit. Discussing all will do lol. I find its mainly the old timers who are willing to touch hands which because they have actually used it in real situations. All the old timers I have met in SEA and China talk about their fights not about how their chi can flow and how to do tan properly etc.
    Last edited by FongSung; 05-23-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Keith, you just confirmed what SR was saying
    How so Glenn? Are you going to jump on the bandwagon with the naysayers and Wing Chun bashers as well?

and you don't think you lot are a running joke to most other stylists here ....seriously?

I don't really care what "other stylists" think. I don't participate in their forum and they don't have to participate in this one. Like I told SR, you are welcome to "GET THE HELL OUT" if you don't like us, don't do Wing Chun, and think we are pussies. Go elsewhere! You are a very frequent Wing Chun basher here. Go play in the MMA forum and leave us alone.

You don't think all you do is whinge and whine like a bunch of school girls....

What the heck is "whinge"? But if you think that fine, then GO ELSEWHERE AND LEAVE US ALONE.

someone like ronin with a very good tcma background and actual extensive full contact and vale tudo experience offers advice listen

I'm not going to listen to anyone that gets in my face and calls me a "p#ssy." How about you? Do you respond well to that??
    Last edited by KPM; 05-23-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Minghequan View Post
    Please keep on subject.
    Lost cause at this point Ron. A lot of threads start out with good intentions until the idiots arrive and shoot it down.

How so Glenn? Are you going to jump on the bandwagon with the naysayers and Wing Chun bashers as well?
    And there you go AGAIN Keith

Naysayers, WC bashers, walking int a bar and starting a fight (your previous comment) and so on....

SR makes valid points, the main one being that the WC forum looks like a home for lost b i t c h e s.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    And there you go AGAIN Keith

Naysayers, WC bashers, walking int a bar and starting a fight (your previous comment) and so on....

SR makes valid points, the main one being that the WC forum looks like a home for lost b i t c h e s.
    Bull Sh!t Glenn! They are WC bashers! They did come to this thread just to start a fight. Did you read SR's post? I don't give a d@mn what SR or Frostie thinks if they can't be polite and say it in a non-inflammatory manner. They want a fight, they'll get one! We started this thread off trying to reach a calm middle ground and then we have two non-WCK guys jump in with guns blazing. I'm beginning to think this forum is a lost cause when the regular Wing Chun guys won't even stick up for each other.

Well that went well didn't it?

Only a few posts in and it all turn's to "sh#t".

Don't you people get it???

Enough is enough.

What are your homes like? What are your training Halls like? Do you talk to your fellow family members like that? Do you talk to your classmates, co-workers and teachers like this? No wonder the real guys stay hidden away!

Want to argue about Wing Chun versus this or that? Great then start your own thread and off you go, have at it!

But for God's sake if you have nothing positive to contribute on this thread (yes this thread) then don't bother posting at all?

And for God's sake grow up people!

Is all this too much to asks???

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Minghequan View Post
    Well that went well didn't it?

Only a few posts in and it all turn's to "sh#t".

Don't you people get it???
    Obviously they don't. And the reactions are so extreme, it's actually kinda funny. But to get back to your OP, the only way forward is to consistently take the high road. We need to be respectful of each other ...in spite of the fact that we will often disagree. And when someone posts something that is really beyond the pale, we need to resist the urge to respond in kind or to engage in personal attacks. Instead, the rest of us need to come together out of a sense of fair play and call foul.

That's how it's done guys. Ignore the provocateurs and trolls. And if they persist, stand together and call foul. Can you do that?
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

OK, the following is an example of what I would call totally unacceptable:

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    ...Maybe you WC guys should trade in the sand in your vagina for a pair of balls.
    That may help...

You guys are lucky than ANYONE wants to moderate this desolate waste of cyber space that is populated by a bunch of whiny pussies.
    When anyone posts something that reads like this, we all ought to call foul. Crude, hateful and sexist language like that does not persuade anybody of anything. It is just an attempt to elicit an equally over the top response. Too bad too, because SR actually had a legit point to make. But with that kind of language any point goes out the window.

So what do you say SR? Are you willing to make your points with some basic modicum of civility? If so you are welcome. If not, you really should hold back from hitting the "submit reply" button.

www.nationalvt.com/

Keith, from what I've seen, you usually try to stand up and speak out when you see someone being treated unfairly on this forum ...even when you don't necessarily agree with them. I admire that. On the other hand, you have to hold your temper if you want to elevate the quality of this discussion. Check out the quote below. You totally got sucked into a pointless fight. Don't take the bait. You don't need to.We all read that post. Just ignore the rude and trollish comments, or at least respond with dignity! We will back you.

Bull Sh!t Glenn! They are WC bashers! They did come to this thread just to start a fight. Did you read SR's post? I don't give a d@mn what SR or Frostie thinks if they can't be polite and say it in a non-inflammatory manner. They want a fight, they'll get one!...

www.nationalvt.com/

and you don't think you lot are a running joke to most other stylists here ....seriously?

I don't really care what "other stylists" think. I don't participate in their forum and they don't have to participate in this one. Like I told SR, you are welcome to "GET THE HELL OUT" if you don't like us, don't do Wing Chun, and think we are pussies. Go elsewhere! You are a very frequent Wing Chun basher here. Go play in the MMA forum and leave us alone.

You don't think all you do is whinge and whine like a bunch of school girls....

What the heck is "whinge"? But if you think that fine, then GO ELSEWHERE AND LEAVE US ALONE.

someone like ronin with a very good tcma background and actual extensive full contact and vale tudo experience offers advice listen

I'm not going to listen to anyone that gets in my face and calls me a "p#ssy." How about you? Do you respond well to that??
    Why on earth are you "taking the bait"?!
    Why are you so concerned what they think that you need to reply in such a way?
    Why are you taking it personally?

You are basically encouraging more of the same creating a thread that you said you dont want to see.

Its so funny that by retorting to every post you are helping to get what you dont want lol. There is a hint a truth in what they are saying but it doesnt apply to all. So like you advised to others just ignore the comments like "water running off a duck's back".

No malicious intent meant here by the way.
    Last edited by FongSung; 05-23-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Keith, from what I've seen, you usually try to stand up and speak out when you see someone being treated unfairly on this forum ...even when you don't necessarily agree with them. I admire that. On the other hand, you have to hold your temper if you want to elevate the quality of this discussion. Check out the quote below. You totally got sucked into a pointless fight. Don't take the bait. You don't need to.We all read that post. Just ignore the rude and trollish comments, or at least respond with dignity! We will back you.
    And that was my pint grumble, Keith sees it as personal and I, and many others, don't

Whilst SR made some good points he did, admittedly , come across as a big crass but, hey, so be it.... The
    Points he made still stand

This is an open forum.

Some people who don't do WC come in and are rather, er, surprised by the antics of us all here.

I for one don't mind their suggestions and sometimes their input is excellent. Sanjuro and Knifefighter are/were two good examples.

Not much point wishing WC people would cross train or fight with other stylists when you're not even going to let them on the forum.

I gave up expecting sensible conversation and useful input here a long time ago (though occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised) and usually just come here for amusement.

It's just a forum. Not the friggin' UN.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!