Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Way Forward

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Don't worry, none of us moderators are crazy enough to tackle the girls in the WC forum
    Hey, as far as I'm concerned, people can take whatever point of view they want. I'd just like to see the tone kept a little more friendly and respectful. And for people to have a little bit of a thicker skin too, KPM. I mean you do respond a bit .... er hysterically every time someone baits you. Can't you just let it go?

SR, maybe that's what what you mean calling people "girls". I get that. But don't you find that a bit sexist. I mean, if I were a little girl, I'd sure resent being compared to some of the "crybabies" you are targeting. LOL

So, c'mon guys. Lighten up. It's just a forum ...for exchanging info, but also for fun and laughs, right?
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

KPM. I mean you do respond a bit .... er hysterically every time someone baits you. Can't you just let it go?

Since post #32 I have changed my attitude toned it down considerably. Just because I choose to continue to respond to people that are refusing to see what I am saying doesn't mean I'm taking any "bait." Call me persistent, call me hard-headed, but I don't think "hystrical" is an appropriate descriptor here recently.

So, c'mon guys. Lighten up. It's just a forum ...for exchanging info, but also for fun and laughs, right?

Exactly! So what's the point of this entire thread? Why are we making any effort at all? No one here really cares about making any kind of change. Just carry on with business as usual. Again, my mistake was continuing to actually care. I'm done with that now. Laugh at each other, call each other names, and be generally a$$h@les to each other all you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I believe that the net effect of more strict moderation here would be people would leave and not participate anymore.
    Good knowledgeable people leaving and not participating anymore has already been happening for a long time. Actually having some moderation certainly couldn't make it any worse. With a good moderator only the a$$h@les that would be repeatedly called on their nonsense would leave and not participate. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    ....I don't think "hystrical" is an appropriate descriptor here recently.
    Ha. I see you took the bait!

Laugh at each other, call each other names, and be generally a$$h@les to each other all you want!
    Laughing a bit doesn't make you a jerk. A little humor, especially a bit of self-depricating humor is necessary if you hang out on a forum like this. The people that get all bent out of shape are those that take themselves too seriously. Seriously!

Now about all them "A$$holes" you mentioned. When you argue back, you are just feeding the trolls. My advice is to just ignore that BS. If their language is excessively crude, crass, or bigoted, call them on that. Otherwise just ignore them and direct your comments at those who care to converse with you. Just doing that will do more to clean up this forum than all the ranting and whining in the world.

PS. Is that what "whinging" is? Like British for whining?

www.nationalvt.com/

Yeah, you're right. Its just a forum. My mistake all along has been that I look upon the forum as a "virtual teahouse" so to speak.....
    ....But that was my mistake. Obviously no one else here sees it that way. This is just a random forum that people come to for amusement and to slander others. So be it. From now on I have no friends and no buddies here. I will come here just for amusement and for the occasional exchange of information. That's it.
    No offense intended, but when are you going to stop playing the victim? This passive aggresive type of posting doesn't help promote a positive anything. "Calling it like I see it": a lot of time you're no better than those you complain about, your methods are just different. While I agree there are those that only look to troll and bring conversations to a halt, maybe if you were a little less sensitive and didn't hold everyone to your own personal ideals you might have a better experience here.

Example:
    Take it back from what? I've been fighting this battle for nearly a year now, trying to get people to be nicer and more appropriate in their postings. No one listened to me or supported me. [victim again] You won't get much agreement because people here do NOT back each other up. Like I said, I was very obviously wrong to think of this forum as some kind of community. [victim again] It is definitely not. It is just a forum. It is an open forum where it is Ok for people to hide behind keyboards and fake names and say anything they want to say. It is an open forum where it is Ok to be just as rude and inappropriate as you want and say things to people that you would never say in a face to face situation. It is just an open forum where anyone is welcome to post and slander others with names and accusations without providing any explanation or evidence.

I was very obviously wrong to think I could speak up on behalf of regular posters here with some kind of common opinion or voice.[victim again] It has become VERY obvious that I cannot count on anyone here to back me up or support me on any consistent basis.[victim again] It has become very clear that I CAN expect that anyone I interact with here is very capable of turning on me in the very next post.

This is an open forum, not a community. There are no friends here. There is no one to count on here. There are no rules here. I will no longer come to anyone else's defense when I see something that seems unfair or false. That has only gotten me into trouble. I no longer care, since it is evident that no one else here does. I am done.
    First, no one asked you to fight any battle. You took that on yourself to try to get people to conform to your idea of what this forum should be. While I really do agree with you, it would be nice if it was more like the utopia you want it to be, that's just not the nature of things online. I think you set yourself up for dissapointment thinking it was your duty and responsibility to make it so. Again, it was your choice to fight this crusade (as noble as it may be) but there's no reason to get so butt-hurt when the people you assumed would back you up don't really take it as seriously as you do.

Again, if we are to make this a 'better place', we have to start AND end with ourselves - in the end, that's all we are able to control - ourselves and how we react to others. And that's what wing chun teaches us anyway.. loi lau hoi sung!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Good knowledgeable people leaving and not participating anymore has already been happening for a long time. Actually having some moderation certainly couldn't make it any worse. With a good moderator only the a$$h@les that would be repeatedly called on their nonsense would leave and not participate. That wouldn't be a bad thing.
    I like the a$$h@les they make the forum interesting. Who knows I may be one of them.

It was just Memorial Day and I spent it at the cemetery honoring those armed servicemen including some I knew personally and served with who died defending freedoms like freedom of speech. The thing about freedom of speech is you have the right to offend people. What offends me are people who call for censorship. Yes yes I know they have a right to call for it and I respect their right even though I have no respect for them.

Upon reflection I decided that this thread hasn't been a total waste after all. I think we have developed some guidelines for the "way forward." Let's see what we have concluded here:

1. If you are rude and crass and totally inappropriate and someone calls you on it, just say "well, everyone else does it!" If no one else has actually done it recently, then instead say "I was just trying to make a point!"

2. If someone has an important point to make and won't back down, but keeps trying to get it through to people, just tell them they are a "whiney b I t c h."

3. If you say something stupid and realize it when you get a response, just tell them "Ah! You took the bait!"

4. If someone dares to pursue a topic with a little conviction or passion, just tell them they are being "hysterical" and to "get over yourself!"

5. If someone is saying something that you don't agree with, just ask them to provide a video to prove what they are saying. It doesn't matter if you haven't provided a video yourself.

6. If someone is just applying reason and logic and expecting other's to follow along, just tell them they are being "passive aggressive" and to shut up.

7. If someone is making sense, but you find it annoying and don't agree with their methods, just tell them they are "playing the victim" and agree with them without actually seeming to be on their side.

And finally:

8. Just ignore the BS. If their language is excessively crude, crass, or bigoted, call them on that. Or not. No one cares anyway!

There you go! Should we post those rules on a sticky at the top of the forum? I find them amusing, don't you?

You say that now. Moderators have opinions too - perhaps one might be that you find yourself one of those a$$h@les according to their opinion.

Would that be a bad thing?

You say that now. Moderators have opinions too - perhaps one might be that you find yourself one of those a$$h@les according to their opinion.

Would that be a bad thing?
    I said a "good" moderator.

Upon reflection I decided that this thread hasn't been a total waste after all. I think we have developed some guidelines for the "way forward." Let's see what we have concluded here:

1. If you are rude and crass and totally inappropriate and someone calls you on it, just say "well, everyone else does it!" If no one else has actually done it recently, then instead say "I was just trying to make a point!"

2. If someone has an important point to make and won't back down, but keeps trying to get it through to people, just tell them they are a "whiney b I t c h."

3. If you say something stupid and realize it when you get a response, just tell them "Ah! You took the bait!"

4. If someone dares to pursue a topic with a little conviction or passion, just tell them they are being "hysterical" and to "get over yourself!"

5. If someone is saying something that you don't agree with, just ask them to provide a video to prove what they are saying. It doesn't matter if you haven't provided a video yourself.

6. If someone is just applying reason and logic and expecting other's to follow along, just tell them they are being "passive aggressive" and to shut up.

7. If someone is making sense, but you find it annoying and don't agree with their methods, just tell them they are "playing the victim" and agree with them without actually seeming to be on their side.

And finally:

8. Just ignore the BS. If their language is excessively crude, crass, or bigoted, call them on that. Or not. No one cares anyway!

There you go! Should we post those rules on a sticky at the top of the forum? I find them amusing, don't you?
    No what I find amusing is when people make up a whole bunch of rules describing how others are wrong on the internet. It's like they have an internet cape, an internet stallion, and an internet battle cry. Onward and upward, Don Quixote!!!!!! Ye shall yet free this land of those wrong on the internet and the fair internet maiden will give you a smile.

I said a "good" moderator.
    And to you a "good" moderator would chastise all those opposed to you and uphold your valor?

And finally:

Well KPM, I think you summed it up quite nicely. I, for one, will totally back these guidelines. Who's with me? Let's make it a sticky!!!

www.nationalvt.com/

And finally:

Is it very difficult being so self important and self righteous?

No what I find amusing is when people make up a whole bunch of rules describing how others are wrong on the internet. It's like they have an internet cape, an internet stallion, and an internet battle cry. Onward and upward, Don Quixote!!!!!! Ye shall yet free this land of those wrong on the internet and the fair internet maiden will give you a smile.
    LOL, if I wasn't so attached to my current sig, I'd switch it to this! Spot on!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

And finally:

Keith, heres a little clip from Australia with a bit of advice i think you should consider...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y&feature=kp