Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: McDojo Stories

Talking You might be a mcdojo...

If warmups include smoking from a hookah.

you might be a mcdojo if you tell your students this, and your grandmaster/sole inheritor of the art is this guy.
    caveat tai-chi emptor...
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

That was so rediculous I couldn't even read it. I was continually waiting to find that he charges $160,000 for lessons......
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

i live within walking distance of that place and always wondered about cross training in tai chi....until i googled up their website..What more do they need to say? They should just have a splash page on their website with the warning, "Unless you are completely uninitiated in the martial arts, or are unable to find your own @ss with both hands and a flashlight, LEAVE THIS SITE NOW!!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia
    Alrighty, a fun little game. Take Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if" and replace redneck with mcdojo. I'll start.

You might be a mcdojo if the Sifu refers to "The Empire Strikes Back" as a Qigong instuctional video and your lineage traces back to a "Master Yoda".
    You might be a mcdojo if you've been married three times and still have the same in-laws?
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Here’s some Mcdojo names that I'm always fond of....

(the basic run of the mill strip mail type using crap like ……..

TNT Karate......
    Super Kicks martial arts studio...
    Billy Bob Thornton’s Tykwando academy...
    Lee Kim's Karate...
    Rex Kwan do...lol......always loved that!....

Some Chinese types

Qi rejunination center for the Taoist studies
    Peaceful Dragon martial arts
    Spiritual Taichichuan and Qigong Center

Anything that head line in big bold letters " Real Kung fu and Taichichuan instruction"

The macho types

Anything with the word "combat" in it ….

For example Combat taichi…Combat Karate….etc..etc….

Or "Street lethal"

... you use the "Star Wars Kid" video as a "Training Aid".
    Words!

Just words!

Quote Originally Posted by Banjos_dad
    you might be a mcdojo if you tell your students this, and your grandmaster/sole inheritor of the art is this guy.
    caveat tai-chi emptor...

omfg!!!!

Is that guy an outpatient at a psychiatric centre or something?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjos_dad
    caveat tai-chi emptor...
    I looked over the site. It reminded me of my early days at the Shao Lin Temple. [sniff sniff]

The training was hard but as I look back it's like it was a dream.

Oh wait, that's right it WAS a dream. Never mind.

You might be a McDojo if

your main concern for the next class is whether you have enough snacks for the kids, er, I mean students.

your Sensei wants to have a talk with you about your repoort card.

the front 1/3 or the school is separated by glass with 2 rows of chairs for watching class.

How about

Path To Enlightenment Martial Arts Center
    Bulldogs Karate
    Victory Martial Arts

Alternately
    You know it's a MMA schoool if ...

... the brochure has the words "alive" and "pressure test" in bold more times than you care to count
    ... the training floor is a mat and the walls are padded (never been to one, just guessing)
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

no guys, that place is an actual brick and mortar 'tibetan tai chi' school which has existed for some time, i first noticed it at least two years ago, probably more... So if it's not being run at a constant loss, someone is coughing up some bucks for instruction there to keep it open. Unless they chi-blast the bill collectors into amnesia every time they call up on the phone or turn up at the studio.
    DJ--as far as the mental state of the faculty there, I am afraid you'll have to draw your own conclusions: I saw all that I needed to know on their website. I am a bit skeptical about the history provided on the origin of the 'soringi temple.'

It's kind of sad because for all i know, their tai chi could be the most beautiful, authentic, powerful and correct tai chi on the planet but the crap on their website absolutely exterminates every last possible shred of credibility they could have mustered.

On the bright side, providing precious moments of entertainment for the rest of us.

It's a little weird you're singling out Reeders school when you studied with a guy who evidently did most of his studies long distance.

Yes a lot of that stuff sounds implausible but if you search back through the major Silat lineages in this country you will find some common threads there. There's a lot of politics and B.S., but that's the nature of the thing. I guess you don't know all the politics and controversy surrounding that.

I would at least go check out that school. It's probably nothing but at least to see what's left of that lineage would be interesting, wouldn't it?

truly amazing.

just for the heck of it, Im going to pick apart that history with rudimentary understanding.

1. Bodhidarma = Indian word, Daruma = Japanese word

2. Bodhidarma was later called Daruma by the japanese who took up the zen as it came to them in transmission.

3. The Bodhidharma take is set in the early 6th century, not 6 centuries ago.

4. a man named shaolin? who has a city named after him? that exists now?

5. soringi temple?

who the heck calls asia "the orient" anymore? lol. ok, maybe some old people do, but yeesh.

When Willem was twelve years old, his great-uncle commenced sending him to China for 100 days every year. There, Willem underwent rigorous, intensive training in the temple for twelve consecutive years. After twelve years of study, he was certified by the 13th Dalai Lama.
    -this is a complete and utter falsehood.

ok, this looks like nothing more than a couple of very poorly educated and even less informed hippy chicks propogating some sort of lesbian commando training perhaps?

This is incredibly funny if they are one iota serious about any of this.

~Gene, you really need to dedicate an issue to this kind of thing. Call it the oddities issue cllectors edition or something and have special articles on how the deadly technique of tongue in cheek can prevail over fist of the fraudster!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

by the way if you were to google grandmaster Willem Reeders, you would discover that he is also claimed to be a big cheese in kuntao/silat circles, and an indonesian war hero against the Japanese, beyond being the self-admitted living inspiration for young Kwai Chang Caine of the 70's smash hit TV series "Kung Fu." There is even a reference to him "Willem Reeders/ Siu Leong" in the venerable "Is Shaolin-Do For Real?" thread right here on KFTC mag forums, oddly enough as contained in a letter written to Judge Pen (whose incidental connection with this adds the one minor shred of credibility to be found in the subject so far). Unfortunately, Master Reeders has passed away, leaving behind a mystery, wrapped in an enigma (apologies to Oliver Stone).

okay. I am sure there will be some backlash from that sooner or later. WHat I am wondering is if the guy was so prominent in the indonesian arts, why is that kept compartmentalized (as we used to say in the defense industry) and this nutty folkloric "i inspired kung fu! (blind master Po character) was my real life uncle!" biography featured instead? But when you consider the tie-in with Indonesian arts and the perhaps apocryphal SOuthern Shaolin temple (each faction claims it was located where their art originated....but so far no-one locates it 'outside Peking,' not even by definition as "anywhere other than Peking(/Beijing)"

Anyway, why leave your home to receive instruction at a McDojo, when "Lieutenant 'X' can come to you with t34 d34d7y no-bullsh1t skillz in the privacy of your own home by means of the miracle that is distance learning? Now any home apartment dorm room or suitably equipped vehicle can become a McDojo...Man! They should make this guy at least a Colonel or higher so that he could become a base commander, turning out deadly hordes of fighting men to protect our nation's interests at home and abroad *cough*iraq

You know, Reeders lived for a long time in NM and taught. Did you know he moved to New Mexico in the late '60s? If his story is real or not, does it really matter that much?

And there is a ton of controversy, politics and bad feelings about all that stuff.

Anyway, whatever.

It's a little weird you're singling out Reeders school when you studied with a guy who evidently did most of his studies long distance.
    okay, setting aside the fact that you're a troll who claims no sifu is adequate to teach you at your level in the whole Seattle area, and recently become the champion of MacDojos....Wtf are you talking about? My Sifu Mr Lin was born and raised in Taiwan up through his late twenties when he emigrated here.. a life-long martial artist. A student of Taiwan's own Yim Bai Hsia, who was himself a student of a shaolin monk
    If you had any credibility at all left, with this kind of ignorant and unfounded statement you would be eroding it, but there's nothing left to erode.

oh, I think you could only be referencing a seminar I mentioned having taken with Sifu Jake Burroughs... That was cross training. My core is shaolin kung fu as trained at Lin's Martial Arts Academy here in Albuquerque where I have been a student in good standing for years. Plus several years of Shorin Ryu from a yon-dan of Matsumura, and the personal insights I gained subduing numerous violent @ssholes at my work as a bartender concurrent with my training.
    it's a wonder I can find someone suitable to learn from lol
    Way to go Sherlock... i hope your 'fu is better than your ability on the forum because if not I imagine you are one permanently lumped-up @sshat.