Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: McDojo Stories

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    -n-

Who is your teacher?

or Who are you?

just because someone teaches for free has the same meaning as someone who charges $1000 a month.

Is their skill good and is the quality of their students good?

So in actuality its more about is the teacher any good. I know alot of teachers who have very low level of skill with lots of students as well as the other way around very skilled teachers with very few students.
    My teacher was Brendan Lai.

My name is Norman, and I have been authorized by Sifu Lai to teach Praying Mantis.

okay Norman.

Then I'll say you were a lucky person. I know for a fact that he charged alot of individuals alot more then $10 so there must have been a personal reason.

Your sifu was one of the few mantis teachers I could relate to, no BS. I only met him twice at his store and was privledged for him to critique me. Alot of similarities between our styles.

So in this case its the exception, not the rule. Your sifu taught more as a hobby then a professional teacher as he ran a successful import business.

Then I'll say you were a lucky person.
    Yes, I was very lucky.

My teacher did teach commercially and had a large school, but that was before my time. He kicked out all of his students and shut down his school and later was very selective about who he would teach.

I waited 10 years before I could get an introduction and be accepted as a student.

My Sigung had to teach 6000 students before authorizing 25 of them to teach. We say, no wonder he had a bad temper.

$$ played a role in it as well.

Back on topic to what makes up a McDojo/McKwoon would be how a teacher *****s out their style. Franchise concept has taken over even back in Asia. Teachers who were once considered "Traditional" have sacrificed alot of their old time students for the new ones who are willing to pay $$ just for a certificate and photo ops.
    Last edited by ngokfei; 09-13-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Lineage is franchising.

Teachers who were once considered "Traditional" have sacrificed alot of their old time students for the new ones who are willing to pay $$ just for a certificate and photo ops.
    A sad reality.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Lineage is franchising.
    Can be if a person uses lineage to promote himself instead of letting his ability represent the lineage.

If you have to ask yourself if your school is a McDojo....then it IS.

If you have to wonder if you can fight with the material you've been taught....then you CAN'T.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by ironweasel View Post
    if you have to wonder if you can fight with the material you've been taught....then you can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I'll just leave this here.

A black belt at age 10. In Shaolin Kung Fu. For young McDonald.

3 hours ago
    Waterloo's Matthew McDonald closing in on kung fu black belt at age 10

Matthew McDonald trains at the Shaman Martial Arts Club in Waterloo, Monday

Waterloo Region Record
    By Justin Fauteux

2016 was quite a year for Matthew McDonald.

The Waterloo native spent the past 12 months travelling around North America and coming away with piles of medals from some of the top martial arts competitions in the world. Now as McDonald prepares for 2017, which will bring more high-level competition, he also finds himself a few steps away from a black belt — at just 10 years old.

McDonald practises Shaolin kung fu, one of the oldest disciplines of Chinese martial arts. The sport combines sparring with opponents, and continuous fighting with empty-hand forms, and weapons patterns that are assessed by panels of judges at competitions.

"He competes in everything — forms, weapons, sparring, continuous fighting," said Julian Shamuon, McDonald's sifu (teacher) at the Shamuon Generation of Martial Arts club in Waterloo. "He also does something called extreme martial arts. That's where you incorporate gymnastics into the martial arts."

Shamuon, a decorated martial arts competitor himself, has been working with McDonald since day one.

McDonald was just five years old when he and his parents heard about the club through a family member and decided to give it a try.

"We tried it out and he immediately really took to it," said Rod McDonald, Matthew's dad. "He loved all the teachers and how they work with the kids. Progressing as fast as he has, it's because of how the teachers really take him under their wing."

"I really liked all the sifus," added Matthew. "It was really fun, but they made me work really hard."

After a couple years of training, Matthew began entering competitions when he was seven-years-old. And for the past few years he's been travelling around the United States and Canada — and even further afield, including stops in St. Maarten, Mexico and Costa Rica — and more often than not, coming home with medals.

In the past year alone Matthew — now a member of the National Martial Arts Council competitive team — has taken part in 18 competitions, coming away with 22 first-place finishes, 18 second-place finishes and 17 third-place finishes, regularly winning the "triple crown" — a gold medal in weapons, forms and sparring at a single competition.

As impressive as Matthew has been sparring with opponents or doing a pattern with a bow staff or a sword, what impresses Shamuon the most about his student is his maturity and work ethic, both of which go well beyond his 10 years.

"I wouldn't actually do this, but I could put Matthew on the floor, do the bow in and leave and I'd be confident in his ability to teach the class. That's the kind of 10-year-old he's become," said Shamuon, whose father, Tom, opened the club 10 years ago.

"If I ask him to do something even when he's dead tired, he'll give 100 per cent. He'll give it everything he's got. Never will he give any thing less than that."

While Shamuon wouldn't leave Matthew alone to teach his elite team — the group of students at the club who travel to top competitions — Matthew has already begun teaching, sometimes kids as young as three, four or five, but sometimes students his own age or older.

As 2017 begins, Matthew's competition schedule will heat up quickly, with January's International Congress of Martial Arts competition in Panama, followed quickly by a trip to Chicago for the first tournament of the year on the North American circuit.

Joining Matthew in Panama will be the entire Shamuon's elite team, which includes: Noah Slater, 14; Kate Slater, 10; Lexi McGann Barclay, 15; Jaycen Turner, 9; Evan Turner, 6; Matthew Boyd, 13; Linos Matti, 8; and Hannah Wright, 10.

As great as winning competition after competition has been for Matthew, he says what he's enjoyed most from participating in martial arts is the discipline he's learned and the chances he's had to meet people from all over the world.

"I'm really looking forward to the (Panama) heat and meeting some more new people, getting to see some new competitors.

With a full slate of competitions on the horizon, Matthew is also, if all goes well, just two levels away from his junior black belt. From there, he can work his way up to an adult black belt.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

It's a good and rare thing when a kid shows that kind of dedication and hard work IMO.

Follow the article link if you want to see even worse pics.

so someone named McDonald.... training at a mcdojo... posted in the mcdojo thread

:explodingheadgiffromthedailyshow