Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: McDojo Stories

McDojo?

Is this guy a McDojo?: http://www.kohokan.net/home.htm

It's one Chuck Chandler. Anyone heard of him. I have had my own dealings with Mr. Chandler and associates only to discover several very questionable practices such as supplying ranks that were "creative" (possibly forged) for tremendous amounts of money, his unique "modifications" to kata from the originals, awarding of high dan grades supposedly from Okinawa (really copies of certificates!)

What is the general opinion of other members?
    Ron Goninan - Chairman
    KOBGK Paihequan International

E-mail: tsuruken@austarnet.com.au
    Web Site: http://home.austarnet.com.au/tsuruken

My opinion?

Mr. Chandler practices karate.

HuangKaiVun

Yes but is it any good and does he conduct himself with honor?
    Ron Goninan - Chairman
    KOBGK Paihequan International

E-mail: tsuruken@austarnet.com.au
    Web Site: http://home.austarnet.com.au/tsuruken

Next time I'm in the land of the "Swamp Fox"(which should be soon) I'll

check him out,if he can't cast a shrimp net then he ain't

worth a $hit...........

Rant:Birth of a McDojo?

I hope I'm wrong but I think my school may be in the first stages of becoming a McDojo. We're a traditional no frills school that was known as being a little tougher than most TKD schools, but that may be changing. Warning sign number one, I've noticed a growing number of kids showing up at classes that used to be for adults, sometimes they even outnumber the adults. Nothing adds more to ones training than a bunch of kids dropped off by mom (who then takes off) talking and walking out of class.

Warning sign two, I've noticed that the number of women in the class is growing and the number of men is shrinking. The problem? The women are becoming more vocal about the men being too rough during sparring and self defense, some of the guys (who are black belts) are getting frustrated and leaving. Yesterday I got to see one guy get dressed down by a female for landing a clean kick. Excuse me but this is a martial art and getting hit, sometimes hard, has to be expected and accepted. The whole spirit of the place is starting to change. Right now I'm going to take a wait and see position to the situation and see what happens, hopefully it's just a bump but I'm getting worried. I love the style and have excellent instructors and I'd hate to leave.

Rant over, carry on.
    Last edited by rogue; 10-05-2002 at 01:25 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Lol we have a great way of controling the number of kids in our class.

When we feel there are to many we make them sparr full contact.

Any that come back are more than welcom.

BTW its not a test of kids but a test of their mums.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

That's the thing, we're known for going at it hard but controlled. What's happening now is that it may be moving more toward just controlled. I'd hate to see the school turn into a place that's just playing tag.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Well if you wanted reallity,blood,sweat and tears why did you go into TKD?

Hey just kidding......i think I am one of the few guys here who have much respect for TKD.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

LOL, it is an odd choice and I left the JKD world to do it. It's supposed to be the other way around isn't it?

DM

Sounds to me like your school doesn't have separate classes for beginners, intermediate and advanced students. My dojo does and it eliminates a lot of the problems you've outlined.

You make an excellent point, though. This is martial arts, not a catch-me touch-me giggle fest. If someone doesn't want to get hit then she needs to go into tae bo or pilates....
    K. Mark Hoover

the number one sign

Rogue you missed the #1 sign that your school is a Mcdojo

1.They teach Tae kwon do.

Really though, I am sorry. The teacher should seperate the class, perhaps have an "Adult mens class" so you can focus on hard sparring without the nagging and crying.

regards,
    Gary.
    www.flowingcombat.com

Gary, You evil TKD basher! BTW Gary, when I get a chance I want to share my observations of the Tai Chi guys I worked out with you. Even did a little TKD vs TC sparring with a few of the guys which was fun. You Tai Chi guys are a real pain in the hind quarters in close with that stealing the center/balance stuff.

Yup, we do all train together which is great when you're a color belt and you're exposed to some pretty good black belts. But we have had guys reach brown or black and then move on since you'll still doing what you did 3 to 5 years ago. You will get very good info, tips and tricks from the schools master but it's still focused on the basics and using them at a higher level (I hate that phrase ), so beginner, intermediate and advanced classes may be better. The "Adult mens class" would really raise the hackles of the women, which may be worth it just for that. The weird thing is that the ones doing the most complaining are pretty good at sparring, they just don't seem to see it as a part of martial training, but something that's done for it's own sake.

DM

I felt I had absorbed all there was to learn in TKD in the space of two years. Because the way my instructor taught it, it wasn't much more than a set of exercises that you do with your legs. Then I learned some moves and tactics during sparring. The thing is, the instructor had a wide arsenal of self-defense techniques, etc. that came down from Karate but he rarely exposed us to that element - as if it was too hard to teach, or something. I had to stop due to a knee problem, anyway.

Call it a "hard contact" class, if the phrase "adult men's" bothers the twists.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Call it a "hard contact" class, if the phrase "adult men's" bothers the twists.
    Very PC Chang.

I felt I had absorbed all there was to learn in TKD in the space of two years.
    fa_jing, which branch of TKD? Was the instructor Korean, American or some other? What did they teach? I'm just interested in hearing about others experienes with Korean arts.

DM