Hybrid View

A manifesto for modern kung fu

http://nysanda.wordpress.com/2014/05...odern-kung-fu/

latest blog post.... let's see what reaction I get on this
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

100% agreement.
    YET, I know in my heart that you are simply preaching to the converted.
    It truly saddens me.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    100% agreement.
    YET, I know in my heart that you are simply preaching to the converted.
    It truly saddens me.
    I have expectations, based upon previous experience
    let's see if they play out
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

This is the problem with summing up those who fight as "just kickboxing". It creates a mindset where kicking and punching are low level stuff that skilled people won't do, and yet the forms are full of common kicks, punches, and throws. One does not grow above the basics, the basics are the foundational skills that can make opportunity for the more specialized stuff.

to play Devil's Advocate

I understand what you're saying, but I find that the older I get, the less I'm willing to take an absolute stance. For example you wrote
    "However, for far too long “health” has been used as an excuse to avoid the issue of “fighting.” Chinese martial arts are not gymnastics, they are not yoga, they are not even Qi-Gong, they are “Wu Gong,” i.e. FIGHTING ARTS. To either ignore or obscure this is folly."
    but one could argue that that's what they are because that's what they (CMA) are in the present context.

Plus it's impossible to make sweeping accusations about the state of TCMA and about the state of practice. For instance, you are/were TCMA. To think that you're somehow different than others who have the same interests in combat efficacy as you is folly because you are/were TCMA. I'd assume there are many people who've come from TCMA that have pursued a similar path as yours as far as cross training, fitness, etc. and some of those people eventually go full circle back to TCMA bringing with them their new found experiences. Yet, to hear them talk - they only claim they're TCMA practitioners.

What I think is a good theme to expand on that you write about is the need to hard spar within CMA and the value of using the best safety equipment and how that helps develop the overall combat effectiveness of the practitioner.

Blog Entries
    To me, TCMA is to be able to master the following tools:

- jab, cross, hook, uppercut, ...
    - front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, hook kick, ...
    - finger lock, wrist lock, elbow lock, shoulder lock, ...
    - single leg, double legs, hip throw, firemen's carry, ...
    - full mount, side mount, arm bar, choke, ...

We just can't define TCMA simpler than this.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument