Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
The problem is when they're not trained to fight like a kickboxer and they try to imitate how a kickboxer fights. Then it's just bad. In that case I think the person's better off to go to a San Da gym and learn to kickbox in the correct way. At least then they'd have the skill base to ad the traditional techniques if they want to use them.
I don't think it's just about training like a kickboxer. Kung fu people of many stripes like to under train their basic kicks and punches and throws in order to work on 'high level' stuff. And they don't use gloves, and used fixed foot positioning to train techs, so no timing or distance skills.

They're too busy trying to look like wing chun or baqua or whatever, and not training the almost universal stuff all kung fu styles accept as a necessary basis, which give the opportunity for the style specific stuff. No decent lead leg kicks, no wing chun, etc.

From there, I agree with you, they don't look at ring tactics that kickboxing requires, cause that's somehow not kung fu, even though it often is. How to deal with southpaw-orthodox issues, how to deal with pre-contact range. Focus on body mechanics but ignoring what the moves are for on the basic strikes. Striking as low level, instead of it being an art form on its own.

They don't spend the time doing basic unscripted footwork that makes sense. No style works without that.