Thread: A manifesto for modern kung fu

Threaded View

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    What does "kickboxing" really mean? Well, ANY kicking and punching combination..
    What I'm trying to say. A certain kick and punch combo may not exist in your TCMA forms but it doesn't meant that you can't create it yourself. One may say it's may water down your TCMA style. To me, it's enhancement of my TCMA style.

I have learned "right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook" combo from my long fist 扑按对打 (Pu An Dui Da) 2 men form. I have also learned "right hook, right back fist, left uppercut" combo from my prey mantis Ren Je form. If I re-arrange it into "right jab, left cross, right hook, left uppercut" combo which doesn't exist in my TCMA forms, it doesn't mean that I try to fight like a boxer. IMO, kickboxing is the end product of the TCMA. One can reach to kickboxing from different paths. The term "kickboxing" is not a bad word.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    To learn to box, you have to find a Rodney King to coach you.
    Do I care to fight like a boxer? I don't. No matter how I fight, I still kick and punch like a long fist guy (or a pray mantis guy).

If you use the following tools effectively such as

- jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, hammer fist, side punch, ...
    - front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, hook kick, jump kick, ...

you will fight like a kickboxer no matter you like it or not. If you can't use those tools effectively, you may throw one punch, move back, throw a kick, move back, ... That's not what a TCMA guy suppose to fight like either.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-04-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument