Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On why I think Hendrik is on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    IF you know about bio-mechanics and kinesology and know how to express what the human body does in "English" then you don't need "bows" or "snake engine" or any of that nonsense.
    Please explain to us in biomechanical and kinesiological terms in "English" what Paddington is talking about. And....nothing has been said about a "snake engine" in this thread.

Personally speaking, I've always been at least a bit interested in the whole "historical/dna analysis" that hendrik talks about, and I do think that it's possible that he's onto unveiling or revealing some sort of new interesting information. What I think is silly is that he has a rather closed view on Ving Tsun as if our art is a product of the past alone and that the "real Ving Tsun" requires that we do things exactly as they were done in the past by the oldest famous practitioners. It's a whole mentality based pretty much on stories where the older the lineage is, the better its methods are simply because it represents what the legendary practitioners of the past did, and since there are so few people who prove their kung fu in the present, the legends of the past are all that many people have to bank their faith in since they dont spar or fight themselves. And so the cycle continues...
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Personally speaking, I've always been at least a bit interested in the whole "historical/dna analysis" that hendrik talks about, and I do think that it's possible that he's onto unveiling or revealing some sort of new interesting information. What I think is silly is that he has a rather closed view on Ving Tsun as if our art is a product of the past alone and that the "real Ving Tsun" requires that we do things exactly as they were done in the past by the oldest famous practitioners. It's a whole mentality based pretty much on stories where the older the lineage is, the better its methods are simply because it represents what the legendary practitioners of the past did, and since there are so few people who prove their kung fu in the present, the legends of the past are all that many people have to bank their faith in since they dont spar or fight themselves. And so the cycle continues...
    I think your raise some very valid points. There have been many developments that have been positive and useful. However, sometimes I feel modern developments are sometimes reinventing the wheel.

As I said the idea of these 7 reference points are in Ip Man wing chun but for some reason are very rarely taught and often students are introduced to them a lot later on. I know seniors and instructors who have yet to be introduced to them despite that knowledge being within their lineage.

The argument that I was making was that they should be introduced very early on and I would love to hear people such as Ip Chun, Mr Ho and others at the VTAA, tell me why they are not. I am not going to hold my breath mind.

On a final note, I do agree about pressure testing but feel it us up to a given individual to do that should they feel the need; I felt the need and did it.
    Last edited by Paddington; 06-03-2014 at 04:03 AM. Reason: latter -> later

A Must See

LMAO

IF you know about bio-mechanics and kinesology and know how to express what the human body does in "English" then you don't need "bows" or "snake engine" or any of that nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Please explain to us in biomechanical and kinesiological terms in "English" what Paddington is talking about. And....nothing has been said about a "snake engine" in this thread.
    Yeah, what he said.

Title of this thread:
    "On why I think Hendrick is one to something", right?
    How many times has Hendrick said that without a "snake engine" there is no "true" WC?

Typical that the point of my post was, as usual, on some here.

READ AND understand what I wrote:

IE: If you have a an understanding of how the human body works ( and as a MA teacher you SHOULD), you can explain things in common words WITHOUT resorting to esoteric terms.

Do you disagree with that?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

OOh, I See Now

Please explain to us in biomechanical and kinesiological terms in "English" what Paddington is talking about.

Did I miss something

[QUOTE=Paddington;1269739]I think your raise some very valid points. There have been many developments that have been positive and useful. However, sometimes I feel modern developments are sometimes reinventing the wheel.

As I said the idea of these 7 reference points are in Ip Man wing chun but for some reason are very rarely taught and often students are introduced to them a lot later on. I know seniors and instructors who have yet to be introduced to them despite that knowledge being within their lineage.

The argument that I was making was that they should be introduced very early on and I would love to hear people such as Ip Chun, Mr Ho and others at the VTAA, tell me why they are not. I am not going to hold my breath mind.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hendrik's points are irrelevant to me- since Fong sifu and Ho Kam Ming sifu and their good students well understand the importance of the springs in the joints.
    Hendrik just uses his own phraseology.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Did I miss something
    Yes, you did.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1269748]
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I think your raise some very valid points. There have been many developments that have been positive and useful. However, sometimes I feel modern developments are sometimes reinventing the wheel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hendrik's points are irrelevant to me- since Fong sifu and Ho Kam Ming sifu and their good students well understand the importance of the springs in the joints.
    Hendrik just uses his own phraseology.

Hi Joy. At what joint are the importance of the springs in the joints taught? Do you see any advantages in showing a new student the 6 major ones at an early stage?

Yes, you did.
    Man, someone must delete it by accident, so give it one more shot.

Thanks in advance,

Here yah go.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    Please explain to us in biomechanical and kinesiological terms in "English" what Paddington is talking about.
    Take care,

Title of this thread:
    "On why I think Hendrick is one to something", right?
    How many times has Hendrick said that without a "snake engine" there is no "true" WC?

Typical that the point of my post was, as usual, on some here.

READ AND understand what I wrote:

IE: If you have a an understanding of how the human body works ( and as a MA teacher you SHOULD), you can explain things in common words WITHOUT resorting to esoteric terms.

Do you disagree with that?
    I clearly qualified what that something was in my opening post. It is the case of your mind filtering and reading into it what you want. Also, I want to put you out of your misery and say to you that kinesology is actually spelt kinesiology, so you come across a little silly by posturing about using such a term and claiming to know what it means and the subject matter involved. Again, it was you that offered up that body of research as something that is more simple than talking about those 6 or 7 reference points or 'springs of the joints' to use Joy's phrasing.
    Last edited by Paddington; 06-03-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Cool Paddington, you’ve beat me to the punch.

Or maybe he had a moment of dejavu when he wrote this:

people over complicate the simplest of things with archaic terms and analogies, just to make themselves think they are doings something "special" or "unique".
    You aren't.
    Take care,

What I really want to know is can I put a snake engine in my car? If I did, how would it run? My dad had a Mazda RX-7 which had a Wankel engine in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine. I always thought that one was different and kind of cool.

The WC forum at it's finest, LMAO !

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Or maybe he had a moment of dejavu when he wrote this:

Take care,
    Sorry to gate crash Ali! It was cringe worthy and I 'could'ne take it ne more captain'!