Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in defense of pus

in defense of pus

Pus is an exudate, typically white-yellow, yellow, or yellow-brown, formed at the site of inflammation during infection.[1] An accumulation of pus in an enclosed tissue space is known as an abscess, whereas a visible collection of pus within or beneath the epidermis is known as a pustule or pimple.

Pus consists of a thin, protein-rich fluid, known as liquor puris, and dead leukocytes from the body's immune response (mostly neutrophils). During infection, macrophages release cytokines which trigger neutrophils to seek the site of infection by chemotaxis. There, the neutrophils engulf and destroy the bacteria and the bacteria resist the immune response by releasing toxins called leukocidins. As the neutrophils die off from toxins and old age, they are destroyed by macrophages, forming the viscous pus.

Bacteria that cause pus are called suppurative, pyogenic, or purulent. If the agent also creates mucus, it is called mucopurulent.

Despite normally being of a whitish-yellow hue, changes in the color of pus can be observed under certain circumstances. Pus is sometimes green because of the presence of myeloperoxidase, an intensely green antibacterial protein produced by some types of white blood cells. Green, foul-smelling pus is found in certain infections of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The greenish color is a result of the bacterial pigment pyocyanin that it produces. Amoebic abscesses of the liver produce brownish pus, which is described as looking like "anchovy paste". Pus can also have a foul odor, particularly pus from anaerobic infections.

In almost all cases when there is a collection of pus in the body, the clinician will try to create an opening for it to evacuate - this principle has been distilled into the famous Latin aphorism "Ubi pus, ibi evacua"

Some common disease processes caused by pyogenic infections are impetigo, osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, and necrotizing fasciitis.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Post your pus video, Ross! Show everyone that instead of being a skilled Lama Pai fighter you really just went to Chinatown to eat pus!

You too Dale! All you do is walk around in circles smashing pus.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

I think posting videos of Mr. Ross eating pus in Chinatown would be against forum guidelines.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

whoever moved this thread obviously missed the comic opportunities I presented here..... it would have been a boon to the forum

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    whoever moved this thread obviously missed the comic opportunities I presented here..... it would have been a boon to the forum
    What the hell is wrong with you anyway? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Jamieson may loath me, but in his hate he forgets something, something his boss seems to know, when I am posting on this forum , it's alive....

Jamieson may loath me, but in his hate he forgets something, something his boss seems to know, when I am posting on this forum , it's alive....
    Loathing takes too much effort. I'm out on that. lol
    I just think you're a weirdo at times. But hey, who isn't. I mean many of us engage in creative anachronism here anyway...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you had left this on the main forum, it would have 500 replies by now... you missed a big chance, Gene could have put product links in it

I know when I need a boil lanced, I rely on my trusty lancing implement http://www.martialartsmart.com/45-84cs.html
    point sparring is a great way to train

I got to be honest, the first 3 letters of PUS made me think in a totally different direction.

Name:  Sexy-Thongs-G-string-C-s-panties-micro-g-string_9330949_1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  38.6 KB
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

lance THAT

srsly?

I moved it, not DJ. Remember, I work as a street medic. I have pus tales that will make you spit up on your keyboard, and I'm not talking spitting up coffee.

What possibly makes you believe this? I did a cursory analysis and the views don't increase significantly when you are active here at all. The only effect is that we get more complaints.

Do NOT PM me about this, lkfmdc.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

I moved it, not DJ.
    maybe you shouldn't moderate late at night, your judgement is clearly impaired... too much herbal tea maybe?

What possibly makes you believe this? I did a cursory analysis and the views don't increase significantly when you are active here at all.
    It's ok Gene, we know you have to keep up a public face and reprimand me and all,,,,, but we both know the truth ... and laugh about it via PM

Do NOT PM me about this, lkfmdc.

Gene is suck a kidder, every morning he gets up, and after some facial hair management, the first thing he does is PM me... I so look forward to it

This thread needs more cow bell !
    Name:  HurleysCowbell.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  44.4 KB
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

u want pus?

A 300+ lb patient came in with a pustule on his back that was about the size of an orange. The Doc went to drain it with a large needle hypo. It was under so much pressure that the instant the needle was inserted, it blew the plunger right out the back and sprayed the wall with pus. In retrospect, that sorta reminds me of lkfmdc's posts here, in a comical sorta way.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart