Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Something Stinks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    On a final note as someone who believes, as tc101 does, that one needs to spar I find it somewhat ironic that even when people agree with that position they are not allowed to talk about other aspects of wing chun training, with out being met by derision, hostility and a pack like mentality that boarders on bullying. This is of course my opinion but is indeed one widely shared by current and previous users of this forum.
    I like hearing about how other branches of wing chun learn and train their model or system. I find that stuff very interesting. My so called hostility is not about hearing how our models differ it is about many of the claims made about the models or training and it isn't hostility it is instead that I do not believe and question the claims made about the training. I know people who are focused on the model won't believe this but the model or system of wing chun ultimately doesn't matter at least if your goal is developing fighting skill. So why it is interesting to hear how the models or systems are different those differences don't really matter. This becomes as obvious as the nose on your face when you start seriously sparring. It's funny when people think their models are better than some one else's who can beat them silly.

I for one would not mind if Hendrik talked about his model of wing chun and the training he DOES. That would be interesting. When he talks about how his model is original and produces the best results and anyone not doing things his way is not doing wing chun and he's not even doing it then it calls for derision in my opinion,

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    I like hearing about how other branches of wing chun learn and train their model or system. I find that stuff very interesting. My so called hostility is not about hearing how our models differ it is about many of the claims made about the models or training and it isn't hostility it is instead that I do not believe and question the claims made about the training. I know people who are focused on the model won't believe this but the model or system of wing chun ultimately doesn't matter at least if your goal is developing fighting skill. So why it is interesting to hear how the models or systems are different those differences don't really matter. This becomes as obvious as the nose on your face when you start seriously sparring. It's funny when people think their models are better than some one else's who can beat them silly.

You are a hypocrite. You say you are interested in the way other branches of Wing Chun learn and train, but by the way you post you discourage anyone from sharing that information. Of course, if someone is training a certain way they are going to talk about their belief that their way is a good way...otherwise they wouldn't be training it! So to turn around and criticize them for believing in what they do is a load of bull and certainly isn't going to encourage them to continue sharing any information. If you were truly interested in what they do, you'd listen to what they have to say and then just dismiss any claims of superiority as someone expressing confidence in what they are learning. Who wouldn't describe what they do in the best light possible? But you want to tear them down for that or make them prove what they say. That certainly comes across as hostile and doesn't give them the impression that you are truly interested in what they do.

And if you don't think the model or system matters, then why would you be interested in hearing about it?

I don't believe anything you say anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post

I for one would not mind if Hendrik talked about his model of wing chun and the training he DOES. That would be interesting. When he talks about how his model is original and produces the best results and anyone not doing things his way is not doing wing chun and he's not even doing it then it calls for derision in my opinion,
    tc101, I share your frustrations and one of the reasons, of which there are a few, I left training with my previous Sifu includes the reasons you cite above. However, I just do not agree with ramming that point home as you do and personally I am a little bit more open minded and enjoy exploring and developing my wing chun for many reasons beyond just fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    We converse?
    Good point. Instead of "I had always assumed conversing with you...", that sentence should have started with "I had always assumed from listening to you babble..."