Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teacher Titles

Learning Japanese in undergraduate school was fun and man oh man did I open mouth and insert my size 13s numerous times.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I like my slaves to call me 'master'

I've been at odds with the term 'sifu' for years. A lot of people call me that, given my position here. At the Tai Chi Gala, they give me that title because I'm a presenter. The same happens with most formal events. I'm okay with it now. Even though I don't really feel that I'm at a level to warrant being called 'sifu', especially given some of the inspirational sifu that I've had the honor of meeting, I keep in mind that the term can be used informally for any position of authority in Mandarin, for a taxi cab driver or the manager of a restaurant.

What amuses me more is this trend of people using the title 'sigong' or 'sihing'. I supposed they think that 'sigong' is a higher ranking title than 'sifu' and that 'sihing' is more modest, but to use either as a title is out of context. Those are terms that are used within a family, so they don't really work as a formal title to people outside their lineage.

As for my slaves who call me 'master', my boots need cleaning again.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hahahaha.

Nice one, brother.

All the titles mentioned here are alright to me. But I like the title, instructor, the best. Because some of the other titles have been misused quit a bit.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

it is not the title thats the issue, its people calling THEMSELVES Master, Grandmaster, Sigung, Sijo. Others call you those titles if deserved and warranted.

Too many people are more worried about titles than making sure they can actually use the material they teach.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I've been at odds with the term 'sifu' for years. . . . I keep in mind that the term can be used informally for any position of authority in Mandarin, for a taxi cab driver or the manager of a restaurant.

What amuses me more is this trend of people using the title 'sigong' or 'sihing'. I supposed they think that 'sigong' is a higher ranking title than 'sifu' and that 'sihing' is more modest, but to use either as a title is out of context. Those are terms that are used within a family, so they don't really work as a formal title to people outside their lineage.

You are right, even the title, 'Shifu' is a relational term and used in context of a 'teacher/student/ relationship (師徒 shi tu). Sometimes non-practitioners will address a martial arts teacher as 'shi fu', even though they are not students of the person, but that is generally out of politeness.
    Terms such as 師公 shigong, etc. are relational and, as you say, used it context of the 'family'. The same person can be addressed as "Shifu', 'Shigong', 'Shi Tai Ye' or any of the terms below depending who is talking to him or her.

Students: 弟子 di zi or 徒弟 tu di
    Students of your master’s brother: 同門 tong men
    Grand students: 徒孫 tu sun
    Your senior brother: 師兄 shi xiong
    Your junior brother: 師弟 shi di
    Your senior sister: 師姐 shi jie
    your junior sister: 師 妹 shi mei
    Your teacher: 師父 Shi fu
    Your teacher's senior brother: 師伯 shi bo
    Your teacher's junior brother: , 師叔 shi shu
    Your teacher's female classmate: 師姑 shi gu
    Your teacher's wife: 師母 shi mu
    Female master’s husband: 師丈 shi zhang
    Your teacher's teacher (grandmaster): or 師公 shigong; 師爺 shi ye; or 師祖 shi zu
    Your grandmaster's senior brother 師伯公 shi bo gong
    Your grandmaster's junior brother 師叔公 shi shu gong
    Your grandmaster's female classmate: 師姑婆 shi gu po
    Your grandmaster's wife: 師姥 shi lao; or you can use 師婆 shi po
    Your Great Grand Master: 師太爺 shi tai ye; or you can use 師太祖 shi tai zu

r.
    www.shaolinwushu.com
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 06-08-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    If you are a kung fu instructor, what title do you go by: sifu, coach, master, grandmaster, Mr./Ms.? Why have you chosen this particular title?
    When I taught my own group for a few years, I went by the title of Sifu. I taught as a extension/branch of my own (CLF) Sifu, and was expected to use that title. I will always, happily and with full respect, refer to my Sifu as 'Sifu', because that is who and what he is. To my students, he was 'Sigung'. He's been a MAist since before I was born, and I'm 51 now. But for myself, I would have been fine, and more comfortable, if my own students addressed me by the formal version of my first name (James).

I consider myself a lifelong practitioner, and would feel particularly uncomfortable if someone called me 'master'. Once while I was helping to officiate at a tournament, the head official referred to us as masters to the division's competitors prior to starting, telling them to "respect these masters who have been where you want to be". Deep down inside, I cringed a little when he said that. I guess it's a little personal hang up of mine.

My Northern Mantis teacher in Taiwan didn't go by 'Shifu', but simply 'Laoshi'.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-08-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Everyone calls me Coach.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I'm gonna start referring to myself in the third person, as "Mountain Lord."
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    it is not the title thats the issue, its people calling THEMSELVES Master, Grandmaster, Sigung, Sijo. Others call you those titles if deserved and warranted.

Yep. Last year I quit a school of whom the chief instructor uses the title Ten Dan Grandmaster on his name card and info on Facebook. I resent it a bit, and still joined the school because I can tolerate such commercial business practice. But at the end that chief instructor misbehaved. And that was why I left.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Dang Gene, you sound like you may know a thing or two about the 'lifestyle' haha.
    Have you ever tried any psychotherapy to clear up your issues? ~ cerebus

I had a fealing you'd be coming through here... ~ Northern Practitioner

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Crazy Mad Drunk. You do indeed come across as mentally ill and chemically messed up. Congratulations on your well-chosen name. ~ Chang Style Novice

Did I mention that I was a national San Shou champoin? ~ Liokault