Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What other styles are good to mix with Wing Chun?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    But if you enjoy hearing him say the same thing over and over and not acknowledge anyone else's points that may contradict his mantra, well then you just go right on ahead and read his every post!
    Again, putting words in my mouth. I made no such claim.
    well, doesn't matter now anyway since you said "it doesn't matter at this point. I have him on my "ignore" list. Problem solved!". But then again, you seem talk about him almost as much after you put him on Ignore as you did to him before you Ignored him! haha
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 06-08-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Surprise, surprise! Yet another thread nose dives into the toilet.
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Again, putting words in my mouth. I made no such claim.
    well, doesn't matter now anyway since you said "it doesn't matter at this point. I have him on my "ignore" list. Problem solved!". But then again, you seem talk about him almost as much after you put him on Ignore as you did to him before you Ignored him! haha
    GG brought him up, you brought him up, you even quoted him on another thread. So laugh all you want. You seem to be a bit out of touch.

Yes Graham, you are right. My apologies for taking part in that.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    No. I'm not disagreeing with him simply because he repeats the same thing over and over. What I disagree with is that despite points and evidence to the contrary of his mantra, he still repeats the same mantra over and over. I am perfectly willing to acknowledge that...yes...sparring is important and valuable. But T is unwilling to admit that other modes of training are also important and valuable. That is what I disagree with, and why I grow tired of seeing him say the same thing over and over and over. But if you enjoy hearing him say the same thing over and over and not acknowledge anyone else's points that may contradict his mantra, well then you just go right on ahead and read his every post!
    I have never said other forms of training aren't important or useful. Of course they are. Your problem is you want to discuss application or how wing chun is used in fighting and dont like it when I point out that this is idle arm chair speculation on your part since you are not doing it. I suppose you do get tired if me saying that just as I get tired of your endless idle arm chair speculation.

I honestly think that almost any style is good to mix w/ with Ving Tsun, although I wont deny that they're not all the same for each person because, for certain people, mixing with certain systems/styles will work better.

All this ultimately goes back to my belief that Ving Tsun was made by masters of multiple arts. Some spend time talking about White Crane and Emei snake as being some sort of door to true Ving Tsun knowledge, I think we should just train everything we can. I've been cross training Xing Yi and Cheng Bagua for about 2 years, as well as some JKD and Silat and a few months of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai that I started this past Jan and hopefully will continue every semester I'm back at school. Honestly, they all mixed with my Ving Tsun well.

I think some people worry that cross training will make their Ving Tsun seem incomplete and thus they dont cross train in anything because they dont want to "disgrace their art." IMHO, it's usually not the art that is incomplete, it's the practitioner. Go out and experience the best of everything you can. The best thing to mix w/ Ving Tsun is more knowledge and experience.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I actually have one recommendation on a style that would be absolutely the best to mix with Wing Chun.

I know most of you are going to guess BJJ, or wrestling, or MMA. But no it's not any of these.

What style would be best to mix?

A "sense of humor" style. Especially when looking in the mirror. I think an engine built on that will lift you up far above other engines. I mean that engine would even withstand Obasi grabbing your wrists during chi sau and posting the vid on the internets.

Not so sure about these other engines.
    The above post, while funny beyond belief, is still not the true sense of humor style. This is because of it's lack of three stooges eye pokes. The true sense of humor stylist is too deadly for the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Nothing!

As soon as you start adding things to VT it is no longer VT. If you think VT is lacking in certain areas then why not just go to an MMA club where they cover all bases?

The main reason people add things to the system is because their VT is flawed and they can't make it work. If you add BJJ then why not add more? When will it end? Maybe add some firearm work into the system.

The secret 6th form of Ving Tsun.................an oozi 9mm
    ... and Mac10 in .45 with hi-cap mag ...

Quote Originally Posted by jhexx View Post
    I would like to hear what others opinions are on this subject, as I have been debating and researching as to what other fighting style would be a good advantage to have in this modern day! I read Bjj is great to add, and I have been researching to see what options are there that matches and flows with WC. I would love to hear others opinions on this subject.
    Yes, I do. I am learning Kali.

Quote Originally Posted by jhexx View Post
    I would like to hear what others opinions are on this subject, as I have been debating and researching as to what other fighting style would be a good advantage to have in this modern day! I read Bjj is great to add, and I have been researching to see what options are there that matches and flows with WC. I would love to hear others opinions on this subject.
    I've tried a number of arts along with my WC. I've found that BJJ is a good mix because there's not much overlap, less confusing of the body mechanics and what have you.

Any weapon style is also a great add, really makes you consider space differently. I've had luck with Wudang Saber, a few friends of mine really like Escrima.

SKM Wrote:

Wing Chun dovetails nicely with Tibetan White Crane. The attack hands are the same and SLT is a nice, short bridge form for training the eating crane fist.
    That's a pretty broad analogy. I've had some training in the Pak Hok of the Tibetan Style and largely saw mid to long range hand forms expressed. When talking White Crane & Wing Chun you are getting into the less mid, more close range aspect and expressions of technique and energetics, far more fluid and very much a smaller movement than Tibetan Pak Hok. The SNT as a "bridge form" for Shihequan??? Sorry don't see that at all. Shihequan is somewhat external within White Crane and SNT is internal.

SKM, What training and exposure have you had to SNT and Eating Crane?

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

BJJ is a great addition to training Wing Chun because imo WC is very open to take-downs, if you think otherwise then share your opinion after sparring with someone who is good at BJJ because it's gonna change
    learn->practice->habit->reflex->instinct

Thanks to everyone who has stated their opinions as to what other styles would be good to cross train with, I truly appreciate it very much. Thank you!
    "Timing is achieved through practice."