Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What other styles are good to mix with Wing Chun?

Thumbs up What other styles are good to mix with Wing Chun?

I would like to hear what others opinions are on this subject, as I have been debating and researching as to what other fighting style would be a good advantage to have in this modern day! I read Bjj is great to add, and I have been researching to see what options are there that matches and flows with WC. I would love to hear others opinions on this subject.
    "Timing is achieved through practice."

Blog Entries
    Did someone already suggested the following 3 styles?

- Emei,
    - snake,
    - crane.

If you want to extend your sticky hand into clinching, what style do you think that can help you to cross that boundary? The true integration will be striking -> clinch -> throw -> ground game. Since BJJ is only good in ground game, you will need to fill in the holes for your "clinch" and "throw" first before you should worry about "ground game".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-05-2014 at 12:21 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Did someone already suggested the following 3 styles?

- Emei,
    - snake,
    - crane.

If you want to extend your sticky hand into clinching, what style do you think that can help you to cross that line?
    What if I am not interested in those three options? The style doesn't necessarily have to deal with clinching necessarily. It would help if it strengthens ground fighting, but I am actually open to suggestions. I am not a brawny person, so it would have to be something that I feel would add to my WC and can be used to confuse an opponent and make it hard to read/ defend against. I appreciate your opinion, thank you
    Last edited by jhexx; 06-05-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    "Timing is achieved through practice."

Quote Originally Posted by jhexx View Post
    What if I am not interested in those three options? The style doesn't necessarily have to deal with clinching necessarily. It would help if it strengthens ground fighting, but I am actually open to suggestions. I am not a brawny person, so it would have to be something that I feel would add to my WC and can be used to confuse an opponent and make it hard to read/ defend against. I appreciate your opinion, thank you
    Anything that you find useful, I would recommend Baji , actually , you can quit Wing Chun and devote your self to Baji completely .
    Last edited by zuti car; 06-05-2014 at 02:28 AM.

it would have to be something that I feel would add to my WC and can be used to confuse an opponent and make it hard to read/ defend against.
    1. Drunken Boxing
    2. Monkey Boxing
    3. Drunken Monkey Boxing

I would like to hear what others opinions are on this subject, as I have been debating and researching as to what other fighting style would be a good advantage to have in this modern day! I read Bjj is great to add, and I have been researching to see what options are there that matches and flows with WC. I would love to hear others opinions on this subject.
    Nothing!

As soon as you start adding things to VT it is no longer VT. If you think VT is lacking in certain areas then why not just go to an MMA club where they cover all bases?

The main reason people add things to the system is because their VT is flawed and they can't make it work. If you add BJJ then why not add more? When will it end? Maybe add some firearm work into the system.

The secret 6th form of Ving Tsun.................an oozi 9mm
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Nothing!

As soon as you start adding things to VT it is no longer VT. If you think VT is lacking in certain areas then why not just go to an MMA club where they cover all bases?

The main reason people add things to the system is because their VT is flawed and they can't make it work. If you add BJJ then why not add more? When will it end? Maybe add some firearm work into the system.

The secret 6th form of Ving Tsun.................an oozi 9mm
    Back again Graham!!

FWIW, i basically agree with you

Nothing!

The main reason people add things to the system is because their VT is flawed and they can't make it work.

I generally agree with Graham on this one. Just "one" art alone is a lifetime...trying to dabble in several is not optimal IMO.
    PS: why not master the art of being a sniper!?!?!? You'd be very far away from your adversary and wouldn't have to worry about clinching, throws, etc! hahaha

Personally I have found judo and jiujitsu very complimentary. However, my preference for those arts is because they were some of the first that I took part in. I also enjoy the more cardiovascular work out that they allow.

No art is perfect, even Wing Chun! Every art has gaps. One of Wing Chun's gaps is ground-fighting. So I think...yes....BJJ is a good complement to Wing Chun if you are interested in being able to defend yourself or fight on the ground. Another gap in Wing Chun is practical weapons work. No one carries around a pair of short swords or an 8 foot pole! So training something like Escrima to see how they use a stick and then exploring how you can adapt your Wing Chun to the use of the stick based on that experience is valuable. Training with a tactical folder is valuable because the best way to understand how to defend against someone with a knife is to understand how to effectively use a knife. I've seen too many Wing Chun people demo'ing self defense moves against a knife attack that would just get someone killed because they really have no idea what to expect from the knife wielder. Personally, I like and train what Jim Keating and Mike Janich have taught over the years.

And it is good to cross-train in just about anything. You don't have to do it with the purpose of "blending" it with your Wing Chun. Training in a completely different art will give you new insight into how your Wing Chun works. Over the years I've cross-trained in Escrima, Panantukan/Maphilindo Silat, Ninjutsu, German Longsword, German Sword & Buckler, Old School Western Boxing, Bowie Knife, Tomahawk, and tactical folder. I think each one gave me some amount of new understanding or insight into my Wing Chun.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Back again Graham!!

FWIW, i basically agree with you
    I look in from time to time Glenda but there is rarely anything worth commenting on these days. Same old same old but without me in the mix which makes me slightly aroused

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    No art is perfect, even Wing Chun! .
    Correct so it's better to invest all the time you have in becoming proficient in your chosen discipline rather than spend less time trying to perfect many.

Each to their own I guess. There are too many variables to try and cover everything in the short time we have.

Wong Shun Leung.

I look in from time to time Glenda but there is rarely anything worth commenting on these days. Same old same old but without me in the mix which makes me slightly aroused
    Gee G, join in...... i miss your spirited banter!

Apparently me too dum for Paddigtons speak stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Gee G, join in...... i miss your spirited banter!

Apparently me too dum for Paddigtons speak stuff?
    The banter is good but many of these threads descend into complete chaos, one-upmanship and in some cases down right nastiness!

Better to concentrate on brighter things

Wong Shun Leung.

The banter is good but many of these threads descend into complete chaos, one-upmanship and in some cases down right nastiness!

Better to concentrate on brighter things
    True, hows your training going G?