Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real Swordfights

Texas House Bill 1935

Will we hear more on this thread from Texas after September? Get your swords here, Texans!

Texas Drops Its Knife Restrictions. Prepare to Carry a Sword!
    WEDNESDAY, JULY 5, 2017 AT 5 A.M. BY CHRIS LANE

Of all the tools humans use, knives might be the most basic. For a long time Texas had many restrictions on what a citizen could legally carry, but in recent years the laws governing knives have been much less strict. In 2013 it became legal to possess a switchblade, and in 2015 a law was passed that removed all local knife ordinances more restrictive than Texas state law.

Recently, House Bill 1935 was signed into law, making it legal to carry pretty much any edged weapon (or tool, depending on who you ask) a person wants. It removes dirks, stilettos, daggers, swords, spears, poniards and Bowie knives from Texas statute, with only a small amendment added to prevent such items from being carried in places like bars and colleges.

This is a major victory for fans of knives, particularly those that are more…“exotic”…(I've always wanted to carry a poniard around like a renaissance duelist), and a pointy blow to anyone who gets nervous when a guy walks by carrying a broadsword. So what kind of “knives” can one easily carry come September 1, when the new law goes into effect? I headed down to a local sporting goods store to see.

Photo by Chris Lane

4. Machetes!
    Whether you want a huge knife to clear grass and jungle brush, or you're Jason Voorhees and need something to chop off camp counselors' heads, nothing fits the task like a machete. Fortunately, with the passing of H.B. 1935, there's nothing keeping a person from sensibly strapping one to his leg before heading to the grocery store. They come in a bewildering variety of styles, and for some reason, most of the ones for sale at Academy seem to be “tactical” black. There was even one shaped kinda like a Roman gladius, with a centurion on the package. It was black, for that added Roman tactical edge one might need…for something.

3. Swords!
    Hell, yes. Now you're talking. In September, prepare to see wannabe ninjas, RenFest warriors and well-armed dungeon masters leaving their houses with a sword or two strapped to their side. Texas is a badass state, teeming with people who want the world to know they're badasses, and what better way to accomplish that than by taking your katana along while you run your daily errands?

"Bad to the Bone"
    Photo by Chris Lane

2. Spears!
    I found only a single spear for sale at Academy, but it was a good one. The “Talon M48 Survival Spear” says it's “Bad to the Bone” right there on the package, so it's a good bet that it'll prevail in any melee on the mean streets of Houston…unless the other guy has a gun, of course. But a spear! What could be more primal than that? And readily available at Academy. Convenience!

Photo by Chris lane

Photo by Chris Lane

1. Bowie Knives!
    For years the knife associated with Jim Bowie was illegal for Texans to carry openly in the state he fought for. While Bowie knives were never legally defined, they were ambiguously listed with knives that were legal to carry. No longer! Now Texans can take their 14-inch Bowies almost anywhere they want to, honoring one of the fathers of the Texas Revolution while scaring almost everyone else around them.

How many folks will do the old Crocodile Dundee “That's not a knife. This is a knife” routine? Will there be a new form of etiquette established once people are free to walk into a McDonald's carrying their survival spear? There was a time when seeing a gun rack in a pickup truck was relatively normal. Will we see guys with their tactical gladius displayed in a window rack soon? Inquiring minds want to know. And what of the more humble pocket knives that many of us carry? Will they be abandoned, discarded in favor of swords or machetes? In September, Texas will definitely become a sharper, more edgy place.

Chris Lane
    Chris Lane is a contributing writer who enjoys covering art, music, pop culture, and social issues.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have always carried a folding knife, either my Emerson or my Spydrco.
    I think I may upgrade to a spear !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I also always carry a folder (except in certain restricted areas like airports, sporting events, etc). Either a Spyderco or a Chris Reeve Knives folder. I find uses for them every day.

TBH, I wouldn't buy or carry any of the stuff by Gerber, United Cutlery, Winchester, etc., which are generally known to be very low quality. United is best known for reproductions of gaudy fantasy/movie swords meant for display.

In Taipei, I used to carry a long spear around when I was practicing it a lot. My second northern teacher did not teach in a building. When walking around with it, I had a safety cover I made for it over the chrome metal spear head for safety, and to look less intimidating. I probably looked like a doofus carrying it around. I sure felt like one, though no one ever hassled me about it, not even the cops. It was clearly a training weapon. Believe me, it isn't worth the inconvenience, not even in fun. My long spear is 6 feet, five inches long. Walking in and out of stores and banks, on and off buses, storing it in a corner or under the table (if the table was long enough) at restaurants, walking under low overhangs, you name it.

Of course, that was back in the '80s to early '90s. Nowadays, with all the news of terrorism and resulting new laws seemingly everywhere, I doubt you could walk around even in Taipei carrying a practice spear anymore without drawing undue attention.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-12-2017 at 08:27 AM.

I'm with you guys. I always carry a folder too. I feel nekkid without it.

I used to go to Renn Faires, just to carry a sword. You don't really get to experience that unless you practice iaido and it gives you a whole new perspective on swords. Renn Faires require that you tie your sword into sheath, but who doesn't know how to tie a slipknot?

Houston martial arts school embraces Texas' new sword law
    Fernando Alfonso III Updated 2:13 pm, Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Photo: Sword To Sword
    Sword To Sword is a Houston martial arts school that's been open for 16 years.

A Houston martial arts instructor hopes a new Texas law allowing people to carry large blades in public won't get abused.
    Sword To Sword's lead instructor Dakao Do is optimistic about House Bill 1935, which was just signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott. The law goes into effect Sept. 1 and allows people over the age of 18 to carry blades longer than 5 1/2 inches in public.
    "The most relevant lesson for the general public is that, as with any firearms or other weapons, proper training and mindset far outweigh the 'cool' factor of openly carrying a gun or sword in ignorance of its proper use," Do said.
    Sword To Sword began as a training group for European martial arts 16 years ago. It offers martial arts classes on long sword, rapier, and other medieval and Renaissance weapons.
    The knife bill was authored and filed by Rep. John Frullo, R-Lubbock, in February to bipartisan support. In May, the bill stalled momentarily after a University of Texas student stabbed multiple classmates on campus. Student Harrison Brown was killed in the stabbing and three others were injured. Student Kendrex White was arrested in connection to the attack.
    White was charged with murder and is being held in the Travis County jail. His bail is set at $1 million, according to the jail's inmate search.
    READ MORE: House delays debate on knife bill days after stabbing at UT
    A week after the stabbing, Rep. Harold Dutton Jr., D-Houston, introduced an amendment to the bill that restricted knives with a 5 1/2 inch blade from schools, bars, sporting events and churches, among other locations. The blade White used in his attack was a Bowie Knife, a large hunting knife that falls under the "location-restricted knife" category.
    The amended bill was signed by Abbott on June 15.
    There's a lot of Shaolin monks in Houston.

If this keeps up, we might need an indie thread for this topic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Machete vs. golf clubs

Golf clubs. How very SPL.

Alleged shoplifter, clerk fight with golf clubs, machete at NorCal 7-Eleven
    By Eric Ting, SFGATE Published 12:54 pm, Sunday, August 20, 2017

The 7-Eleven where the incident took place. Photo: David B./Yelp
    Photo: David B./Yelp

An alleged shoplifter and a store clerk got into a physical altercation that involved two golf clubs and a machete at a 7-Eleven in South Sacramento.
    According to the Sacramento Police Department, the suspect entered the store on Friday and took an item without paying. The clerk then confronted the suspect, who police say returned to his car to grab a "dull machete" and a golf club to attack the clerk with.

The clerk had a golf club of his own, and the two traded blows. The fight then "went back into the store," where the clerk retrieved a wooden board.

This prompted the suspect to get into his car and attempt to flee, but not before the clerk smashed one of his windows with his the club.

The clerk sustained minor injuries.

Police arrived on the scene after the suspect had already departed, and the investigation remains ongoing.

The 7-Eleven confirmed to SFGATE that surveillance video of the incident does exist and is currently in the hands of police.
    SFGATE has been unable to obtain the video so far.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tomorrow...Texas

En garde! Texas open carry sword law takes effect Friday
    USA TODAY NETWORK John Tufts, San Angelo (Texas) Standard-Times Published 8:47 p.m. ET Aug. 30, 2017 | Updated 8:47 p.m. ET Aug. 30, 2017

Gaucho, Argentinian cowboy, with silver knife and leather belt
    (Photo: dolphinphoto, Getty Images/iStockphoto)

SAN ANGELO, Texas — The phrase "everything's bigger in Texas" is about to become even more clear-cut.

On Friday, Texans will legally be allowed to carry blades longer than 5.5 inches in most — but not all — places.

This includes openly carrying the famous Jim Bowie knife, as well as daggers, dirks, throwing knives, stilettos, poniards, swords, machetes and spears.

The new law was introduced by Republican state Rep. John Frullo this year but met resistance after a student was killed and three others were wounded at the University of Texas by a suspect wielding a hunting knife.

As a compromise, the measure passed by changing the wording describing the blades from "illegal" to "location-restricted."

So although Texans will be allowed to walk down the street carrying a katana, it's illegal to take blades exceeding 5.5 inches to the following places:

• Bars and restaurants that derive 51% or more of their income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premise consumption.

• Schools and universities.

• Polling places.

• Secure areas of airports.

• Racetracks.

• High school, collegiate or professional sporting events (unless the person is a participant in the event and a location-restricted knife is used in the event).

• Correctional facilities.

• Hospitals, nursing homes and mental hospitals (unless written authorization is given).

• Amusement parks.

• Churches, synagogues or other established places of religious worship. Also, people under age 18 will not be allowed to carry such blades if not directly supervised by a parent or guardian.

Violating the law could result in a third-degree felony charge, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine.

People on social media have had quite a bit to say about the new law.

The Texas law making it legal to open carry blades longer than 5.5 inches will take effect Sept. 1, 2017. (Photo: eedzaa, Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but reaction to the new law on social media so far has been mixed.

From Facebook we get: Supportive

"I carry a pocket knife on my hip everyday. Have forever. Never killed myself or anyone else with it. Doubt I would if I chose to carry something bigger."

– Charles Hodges

"Not too worried about it. Everyone made a big stink about open carry and I have not seen people going around shooting up people left and right like so many people said would happen. This won't be any different."

– Sandy Seidel

Skeptical

"Who needs to walk down the street with a machete, seriously?"

– Carrie Bryant Aschilean.

"I carry a knife as a tool that I use. (I) don't really think anybody needs to carry a machete, or any knife bigger that 5 inches, unless you are a butcher."

– Ben Badillo

Lighthearted

"Let's see ... car keys, phone, wallet, what am I forgetting?? Oh ya machete ... now I'm ready!"

– Jennifer Acosta
    This story surely takes a backseat to the floods, but nevertheless, it may need its own indie thread soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sikh swordfight

Posted at: Oct 13, 2017, 1:48 AM; last updated: Oct 13, 2017, 11:52 AM (IST)
    Sword-wielding groups clash at Golden Temple, several hurt

Rival group members engaged in a clash at the entrance plaza of Golden Temple complex on Thursday. Vishal Kumar

GS Paul
    Tribune News Service
    Amritsar, October 12

Panic gripped devotees at the Golden Temple today when rival Sikh groups brandishing swords clashed at the entrance of the shrine complex, leaving several injured.
    The clash occurred between the SGPC task force members and radical Sikhs as the latter tried to head towards the Akal Takht. The verbal duel turned ugly and soon it was free-for-all in the presence of police personnel.
    The SGPC task force pushed president of the managing committee of Chhota Ghallughara Gurdwara, Qadian, Master Johar Singh out of the complex. He was there to appear before “parallel” Jathedars of the Takht to clarify his stance on the ruckus witnessed at the Qadian gurdwara in August after some devotees caught management panel member Boota Singh in an objectionable position with a woman there.
    As Master Johar Singh was being dragged out of the shrine complex, “parallel” Jathedars, led by “acting Akal Takht Jathedar Dhyan Singh Mand”, reached there and tried to gain entry. While their attempt was blocked by the SGPC task force, a violent fight broke out between sword-wielding supporters of the two sides.
    Timely intervention by the police helped defuse the situation, but not before SGPC task force staffer Amrik Singh, additional secretary Vijay Singh and radical Sikhs — Satnam Singh Manawa and SAD (Amritsar) general secretary Jarnail Singh Sakhira — had suffered injuries on their hands.
    Mand held SGPC chief secretary and manager of the Golden Temple responsible for the incident. Later, they submitted a complaint to the police demanding slapping of attempt-to-murder charges against SGPC men who blocked their entry into the shrine. “We were not allowed to enter the Akal Takht on the directions of the SGPC chief. This led to a bloody clash. We were elected by the Sikh Panth at 2015 Sarbat Khalsa in Chabba. The Panth had already rejected ‘sarkari’ Jathedars occupying takht seats. We urge the administration to take a stern action against the SGPC committee chief and manager,” he said. Master Johar Singh claimed he was pushed out of the Akal Takht.
    SGPC secretary Dr Roop Singh, however, said the unfortunate incident vitiated the atmosphere at the shrine. He said two SGPC task force staffers — Amrik Singh and additional secretary Vijay Singh — had been admitted to the hospital with serious injuries. He demanded the registration of a case against supporters of parallel jathedars. “Everybody is welcome to pay obeisance at the shrine, but no one can be allowed to violate the ‘maryada’ and create panic. Politically motivated, they were bent on creating chaos at the Akal Takht, which could not be allowed. We had no objection over whatever they do outside the complex,” he said.
    I've been considering doing more research into Sikh sword. Perhaps someday...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Defending jewelry stores with swords

Not just one, but two! WTH is up with Mississauga jewelry stores?

Mississauga jewellery store workers fight off robbers with swords

Badass battle swords: They're not just for hanging on your living room wall to impress guests (unless you ask the cops, in which case they most definitely are).

Peel Police are investigating an attempted robbery in Mississauga this week after three men successfully defended a jewellery store by charging at their would-be attackers while brandishing sabre-style swords.

The incident is said to have taken place on Wednesday afternoon at Ashok Jewellers, which describes itself as the leading Indian Jewellery store in Canada.

Embedded video

blogTO

@blogTO
    A #Mississauga jewelry store fended off a would-be robber with swords https://bit.ly/2BqTaxu

10:08 AM - Nov 22, 2018
    506 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Police say that four unidentified suspects broke the store's window with a hammer while an employee was showing rings to a customer just metres away.

Security footage shows the customer and employee fleeing the area as a suspect clears glass from the window frame and attempts to enter the business near Airport Road and Beverley Street.

Just as the would-be robber jumps inside the store, that same employee comes back with two other men wielding huge swords.

None of the men strike anyone with their weapons, but the sight of swords around in the air was enough, it seems, to scare all four thieves away.

Police say that the window smashers fled in a dark-coloured SUV and have yet to be apprehended. Nobody was injured as a result of the fray.

View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter

The Mississauga News
    @MissiNewsRoom
    Peel Regional Police are investigating a jewellery store robbery in the area of Airport Road and Beverley Street in Mississauga. Four suspects wanted, all had their faces covered. No weapons seen.https://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...store-robbery/

10:51 AM - Nov 21, 2018
    See The Mississauga News's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Unique as though this situation may seem, it's actually not.

The owner of a different jewellery store in Mississauga actually fended off three thieves with a sword just this summer after they rammed a van into his business.

This is not an advisable move, say police.

"We don't want people doing things that would cause any harm to themselves," said Peel Police Const. Danny Marttini of this week's incident to CBC Toronto.

"Safety is first and foremost," he continued. "At the end of the day, property is property."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

100 teens, 2 machetes

For Frozen 2? Man, kids today...

Birmingham Star City: 13-year-old girl among arrests after ‘machete’ brawl during Frozen
    Up to 100 teenagers involved in ‘major disorder’ at cinema, police say
    Lizzie Dearden Home Affairs Correspondent @lizziedearden
    20 hours ago

A 13-year-old girl is among five teenagers arrested over a mass brawl involving youths armed with machetes at a Birmingham cinema.

Families were watching Frozen 2 at Star City when the disorder broke out late on Saturday afternoon, sparking a mass evacuation of the complex.

Police said up to 100 teenagers were involved in the “major disorder”, where people were armed with machetes.

“Dozens of officers were sent to the complex after a 999 call just after 5.30pm reporting a group of youths with machetes,” a spokesperson for West Midlands Police said.

“Two machetes were seized during the trouble, which saw pockets of fighting and seven police officers left with minor injuries as they dealt with the crowds in and around the cinema.”

Armed police were deployed to the scene, drawing Tasers to restore order following a “very hostile response”.

Officers were left with facial injuries, and a knife was recovered from a nearby roundabout.

Investigators said they were working to understand the reason behind the disorder, which bears the hallmarks of an organised fight between rival groups.

One witness said that “a young boy was crying on the floor with his mother” as the fight broke out.

Rachael Allison told the Press Association: “The police told everyone to leave the cinema as they held Taser guns in their hands and started to bring in guard dogs.

“I spoke to a policeman who told me it is unclear whether the kids had weapons and also stated when kids fight they bring their group of friends.“

Eyewitness Choleigh McGuire said the fight started as she queued up with her daughter for Frozen 2.

“There was a fight in the cinema ... group of girls on one girl and it all escalated,” she wrote on Twitter. “The group ran into the cinema rooms to hide and a lot of police turned up.

“Has to be one of the scariest experiences of my life, so sad all the little children were there.”

Police officers outside the Star City cinema in Birmingham after a large brawl broke out (PA)

Five teenagers have been arrested. A 13-year-old girl, another girl and boy aged 14, and 19-year-old man were held on suspicion of assaulting police officers.

Another boy, aged 14, was arrested for obstructing police.

Cinema managers closed the complex for the rest of the evening and police issued a dispersal order, giving them powers to move crowds on and arrest those who refused.

Supt Ian Green, from Birmingham police, said: “This was a major outbreak of trouble which left families who were just trying to enjoy a night out at the cinema understandably frightened.

“We worked quickly to move the crowds on, but were met with a very hostile response and officers had to draw Tasers to restore order.

“Thankfully, the injuries to our officers were very minor. We’ve also recovered two machetes and a knife, and it’s clear that some of those who went to Star City last night were intent on causing trouble.

“We’ve had a great response from the public who have been very supportive of our officers.”

Supt Green appealed for people to pass footage or photos of the disorder to police, who have already received phone calls identifying some suspects.

“We understand that families with young children will have been left upset by what they saw last night, but we urge people to appreciate that our aim last night was to protect the public and restore order, and that’s what we achieved,” he added.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police online or by calling 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kelsey Lynn White v Joshua James Ray Rothman

Real Swordfights or Bad Day for Samurai Wannabes? Tough call so I copied to both.

Two arrested after argument escalated into sword fight, police say
    by CBS AustinFriday, January 10th 2020

Kelsey Lynn White and Joshua James Ray Rothman are facing aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charges. (Photos courtesy: Hays County Sheriff's Office)

Blades swing in Buda as police say an argument escalated into a violent sword fight.

Officers arrested 25-year-old Kelsey Lynn White and 28-year-old Joshua James Ray Rothman on Thursday.

A spokesperson for the Buda Police Department said say someone called 9-1-1 about an argument at the Carrington Oaks Apartments near the Walmart off I-35.

When officers arrived the pair admitted to swinging swords at each other, intending to hurt the other.

Both wound up with minor injuries. They now face aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charges.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The pen is mightier than the sword

Called him out on spelling. ROFLMAO!

Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle dispute with Iowa ex-wife
    Anna Spoerre, Des Moines RegisterPublished 4:07 p.m. CT Jan. 13, 2020 | Updated 1:41 p.m. CT Jan. 14, 2020

A Kansas man has asked an Iowa court to grant his motion for trial by combat so he can meet his ex-wife and her attorney "on the field of battle where (he) will rend their souls from their corporal bodies."

David Ostrom, 40, of Paola, Kansas, claims in court documents that his ex-wife, Bridgette Ostrom, 38, of Harlan, has "destroyed (him) legally."

He asked the Iowa District Court in Shelby County to give him 12 weeks "lead time" in order to source or forge katana and wakizashi swords, as first reported by the Carroll Times Herald.

"To this day, trial by combat has never been explicitly banned or restricted as a right in these United States," Ostrom argues in court records, adding that it was used "as recently as 1818 in British Court."

When reached by phone Monday, Ostrom told the Des Moines Register that he got the idea after learning about a 2016 case in which New York Supreme Court Justice Philip Minardo acknowledged that duels had not been abolished.

Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia in a scene from the Netflix original series The Witcher . (Photo: Netflix)

Ostrom said the motion stemmed from his frustrations with his ex-wife's attorney, Matthew Hudson of Harlan.

"I think I've met Mr. Hudson's absurdity with my own absurdity," he said.

Ostrom, who said he plans to request the same mediation tactic for any other disputes that may arise in court, added that his ex-wife can choose her attorney as a "champion," or stand-in fighter.

Hudson filed a resistance to the trial by combat motion by first correcting Ostrom's spelling.

"Surely (Ostrom) meant 'corporeal' bodies which Merriam Webster defines as having, consisting of, or relating to, a physical material body," the attorney wrote. "Although (Ostrom) and potential combatant do have souls to be rended, they respectfully request that the court not order this done."

Hudson argued that because a duel could end in death, such ramifications likely outweigh those of property tax and custody issues.

"It should be noted that just because the U.S. and Iowa constitutions do not specifically prohibit battling another person with a deadly katana sword, it does prohibit a court sitting in equity from ordering same," Hudson wrote.

Hudson asked the court to suspend Ostrom's visitation rights and order him to undergo a court-ordered psychological evaluation.

Ostrom later admitted to the misspelling, but argued he has no history of mental issues.

Historically, he said in court records, trial by combat was not always won by way of death, but also when a party "cries craven," yielding to the other.

"Respondent and counsel have proven themselves to be cravens by refusing to answer the call to battle, thus they should lose this motion by default," Ostrom wrote, adding that if the other party decided otherwise, he wants to proceed with a "blunted practice style" of sword play.

The court has not yet ruled on either party's motions. Hudson was not immediately available for comment.

Ostrom, who said he doesn't have any experience with sword fighting, doesn't anticipate the judge will let his request go forward, but he wants an answer anyway.

When asked if he were serious about the dueling offer, Ostrom said, "If Mr. Hudson is willing to do it, I will meet him. I don't think he has the guts to do it."

Anna Spoerre covers crime and courts for the Des Moines Register. She can be contacted at aspoerre@dmreg.com, 515-284-8387 or on Twitter at @annaspoerre.
    Get yer Katana swords here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Thought about posting this in http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52919-Bad-Day-for-Samurai-WannabesBad-Day-for-Samurai-Wannabes but it wasn't a bad day for the queen.

There's a vid.
    Queen insists on using ceremonial sword to cut cake
    The monarch brought smiles and laughter to the Eden Project in Cornwall through her ‘unusual’ cake-cutting methods

Celine Wadhera
    6 hours ago

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy notice

The Queen insisted on using a ceremonial sword to slice a cake at a royal function in Cornwall, prompting smiles and laughter from the Duchesses of Cornwall and Cambridge.

The monarch was handed the sword by Edward Bolitho, the Lord-Lieutenant of Cornwall, to cut a large cake in celebration of the Big Lunch initiative at the Eden Project.

Although she was told by an aide that a conventional knife was available for use, the Queen replied: “I know there is, this is more unusual”.

Camilla assisted the in cutting through the final part of the cake.

Patrick Stewart, executive director of the Eden Project, an educational charity and eco-destination in Cornwall, said of the royals’ visit: “It is like comets — they don’t come around very often”.

“The important thing for me was there was every reason not to do it.

“The fact that they judged that with the eyes of the G7 that there was an opportunity — with the risk of missing trains and everything else — to be able to listen to some of the heartfelt stories of people here.

“It was absolutely priceless.”

The Big Lunch is an annual gathering of neighbours and communities at the Eden Project, where people are encouraged to get to know one another, while sharing food and building friendships. It was launched in 2009 with The Duchess of Cornwall is a patron of the event.

During the coronavirus pandemic, the Big Lunch has been virtual, but next year it is set to be an official part of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebration in May.

The 20 guests this year were local volunteers who had been nominated for their services; among them were care workers who were on the frontlines of the Covid-19 pandemic. The Queen thanked them for the support that they had given to those in need in their communities during the pandemic.

The Queen also hosted an open-air reception at the Eden Project, where she was joined by G7 world leaders and the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, US president Joe Biden, and Canadian prime minster Justin Trudeau were all photographed speaking with the royals, and a socially distant picture was taken to commemorate the gathering.

Again, the Queen brought about laughter when she asked the world leaders: “Are you supposed to be looking as if you’re enjoying yourself?”

To which Boris Johnson replied: “We have been enjoying ourselves — in spite of appearances.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    My friend loves fencing and she's good at it.