Thread: Written by Allen Woodman

Written by Allen Woodman

The following is from Allen Woodham ... Your thoughts?

This is lengthy but please read. Please comment and please share. Its for all of us.

THE GODS OF MARTIAL ARTS?

I know there are haters in this world. I know there are going to be people that just don't like other people sometimes. To have an opinion about another person. It is ok to have these opinions, I'm not the GOD of martial arts but, nether are you and I am not going to tell anyone who they can and can not like. Its not my place nor my job. trust me I already have a couple jobs!.

I think we as martial artist need to step back just for a second and think about our personal approach to others. There are many other Facebook pages that hate on others. Such as Bull**** Martial Arts and the alike pages that are there for only one purpose. To HATE and devaluate another's art or skill. Is that the MIND SET of martial arts? Is that the conducive tradition that we have immersed ourselves in? Hating others for their skills or for their lack there of?

WHO are we to judge what is real or fake? WHAT TEMPLE of wisdom did we come from that taught us the only true art or system of martial arts allowable? There are many schools of training and even more of theory. You can read books, watch DVDs and hear stories, but until you have trained with these people or at least met them in person It is not your place to judge them.

People in martial arts are very quick to judge and often gossip like a sowing group of girl scouts. Please refrain yourself from trashing others until you actually KNOW. Separate what you think they do from what they actually are doing.

The mistake by many HATERS and those who would bash another persons skill level are often based upon photos or video posted on Facebook. These post are often and usually made by amateur photographers and even less skilled videographers. With little or no editing skill or proper sound and editing equipment or software.

Most people are simply posting what they believe to be a basic understanding of a technique or a system. It is normally put up and posted by those people wishing to demonstrate or promote either an art, system or a person.

YES some should never attempt this and the end results are faded from good to decent to bad to the worst possible video ever made on the subject. However the quality, it is still only a promotion of what that individual wished to share. If they are sharing with others then they are wanting feedback.

Be a critic, BUT when did we forget to be human beings? When did we forget to behave or how to talk to others? When did your MOTHER or FATHER forget to teach you how to behave in public? When did your teacher NOT tell you to be kind to others and show respect to all living things?

Most post are mere promotional photos that have no real martial arts merit. They take photos in a Karate Gi or martial arts pose that just looks cool. If only to them even its cool.

I speak to other martial artist all the time. The one constant that remains in every school of learning that I have ever seen is in the training. I know there are frauds and fakes and jerks and flakes. They are in every industry NOT only martial arts. LETS NOT JUDGE LEST YE BE JUDGED.

Is that not what we know to be true and correct? Look inside yourself and think before commenting. Search your self for the actions that you should take and not just the actions you WANT to take.

I'm not perfect either. I have made many mistakes along my path. They are my mistakes to make. Its how I learn and grow. Not only as a martial artist but as a person that must walk this planet with other people.

I do not tell you what to do or tell you even how to do it. I just want to the community to become that. A community. We can not do that by trashing others with in that community.

Here are a few ideas for some to consider.

I try not to speak about problems without having a few solutions.

If you see another person doing something you feel is the wrong way or incorrect form, privately or even publicly try to teach them and not bash them.

Show them your method and share your own training efforts and show how they produce in your system or style.

You will not only find it more beneficial but may in fact find someone willing to learn from you as well. ISNT that what we as instructors are supposed to be doing?

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Minghequan View Post
    The following is from Allen Woodham ... Your thoughts?
    I agree with Allen. I particularly agree with contacting people privately if there is a chance that a constructive criticism made in public might result in embarrassment and loss of face.

I think the part about civility is good but I do not agree with the don't judge part. As my father used to tell me all the time God gave you a brain use it. I evaluate everything that I see or hear or read or learn through my BS detector and from my experience.

Also part of what makes discussion interesting AND informative is disagreement. It is boring to just hear yes well said, I agree, you are right on the money and so forth. When there is disagreement then people explain why they think the things they do and they supply evidence and try to justify their views and this gives us much greater insight into their perspective.

I have no idea who this guy is. He may be the real deal. Or not.

I've seen in particular one long and pretty well written treatise on Mo Duk by an individual who IMO manifestly did not live up to the principles he apparently expects of others.

Talk is cheap, no matter how eloquent.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I've seen in particular one long and pretty well written treatise on Mo Duk by an individual who IMO manifestly did not live up to the principles he apparently expects of others.
    Wow, that could be me. Except for the long well written treatise on Mo Duk. I mean who has that kind of energy to write an etiquette book? Then all the tours with Ann Landers and the other little old ladies. Exhausting IMO. I'd rather just train a little to keep my body young and post on the internet.

I actually have a theory on this. I think everyone who has "haters" probably has some element of a drama queen in their makeup.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post

Talk is cheap, no matter how eloquent.
    Yeah, I've experience this as well. Sometimes, telling other people how they should behave is just a means of control to get them to behave in a way that favors yourself & goals. And then sometimes I'm sure it's just someone looking to help another become a better person.

In my experience, I've seen too many times where the term 'mo duk' works only one direction. As an example, the term can be used to set up a strong hierarchy or chain-of-command where the ones 'on bottom' should be more obedient and not questions those 'on top', otherwise, they dont' understand 'mo duk' and are ridiculed. Hopefully that's the rare case and not the norm

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I actually have a theory on this. I think everyone who has "haters" probably has some element of a drama queen in their makeup.

Thoughts?
    Agreed. I've seen where someone that is constantly talking about all of the 'haters' they have really seem to bring it on themselves and are constantly surrounded by drama. I can't believe it's everyone else that has the issue and is hating and not the single hatee'.
    I've been called a hater simply because I disagreed with someone's view or method in a clip. Didn't mean I hated anything - I didn't even have any feelings involved - but since I didn't immediately say 'good job, you're awesome' I was instantly a 'hater'... lol

But then, I've recently been accused of hating everything about an individual down to their looks, the way they talk and the way they do their wing chun, so I guess maybe I am one! haha
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 06-08-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Thoughts?
    Man I really hate you.

Wow, that could be me. Except for the long well written treatise on Mo Duk. I mean who has that kind of energy to write an etiquette book? Then all the tours with Ann Landers and the other little old ladies. Exhausting IMO. I'd rather just train a little to keep my body young and post on the internet.
    Not you, bro.
    Last edited by anerlich; 06-09-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I like it well enough. I guess my view is, all I can say is what I do and why. There is not a lot that comes from telling someone who is not your student that they aren't doing the true thing or what have you, but by saying what I do, and a reasoned rationale for it, then potentially a better method is right there, if they take the time to see it. Also, someone else may chime in and say they don't agree with my take, and give their take, and they may have some good points, and it will be there if I'm willing to see it.

This only really functions with technical discussion, imo. If I say, "that's not right, you should do it like we do" and that's all, the whole discussion is kind of empty of content.