Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Wing chun long, medium, or short range sparring?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    4th: You remind me again why I had you on "ignore" status. My mistake for taking you off of it! You are in the same grouping as WF (and I know how you love to be told you are in a group!) which tries to find something to argue about in every thread, and can't seem to keep things on a respectful level. You guys wear that "I'm an a55hole and proud of it!" badge and try to prove it every time you post. And the ironic thing is that I was seeing your position on more of the "combatives mindset" side than the "sparring mindset" side and kind of expected that you would agree with me. But....that would mean you couldn't argue with me, and you can't have that now can you! ;-) So just carry on in typical fashion. I've said all I have to say. Thanks!
    So why/when did you take me off exactly? What, did you decide I was a 'punished' long enough? lol
    I find it funny that your 'ignoring' of me didn't last long, if at all (and I wonder if you really put me on ignore at all). Heck, you repeatedly posted about me immediately after doing so, and now for some reason decided to 'take me off'.

For someone that often complains about the state of this forum, you're not doing a good job yourself, 'Mr. Kettle'. Ironically, your first official reply to me was only to argue about arguing and to call me an a55hole. And you have the stones to say I am disrespectful??
    BTW, I think I liked it better when you were 'ignoring me' - at least the threads didn't degrade into this every time.

**This will be my last reply on this matter as to not go further off topic. KPM, pm me if you have anything else to say.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 06-30-2014 at 09:34 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    WF said:
    You are making a distinction between a "combatives" mindset and "sparring" that doesn't exist. Once contact is made you keep going until one or the other of you can't go anymore is NOT the chase and pursuit tactic at all. Two people standing in the pocket and slugging it out fits that description.

There is one sparring scenario / fight scenario that is not faced in the street - that is an opponent running away from you all fight. Outside of that, the mindset for either is the same.

You are falling into the "deadly street" vs. "sport" argument that has been done to death and proven delusional.

1st: there is a distinction, certainly for me, and it appears for others that agreed with what I said. WF wasn't even making an effort to see that distinction.
    Bull. There are distinctions between the two, just not the ones you are making.

2nd: I said nothing about any "deadly street vs. sport" argument. WF is reading into this what he wants to see.
    The distinctions you are making between the two are exactly the one that proponents of training for the "deadly street" vs. "sport" make. Whether or not you said anything directly about it.

3rd: A mindset implies a way of thinking or approaching what you do. It doesn't mean it excludes any particular aspect of training.

I don't expect WF or anyone to agree with me 100%, but I expect him and anyone else to at least consider what I have to say. It was clear that didn't happen.
    I considered what you had to say, disagreed, and posted my opinion. You have a lot of attachment going on with other people's behavior, and most of what is going on in your head about other people simply isn't going on.

4th: You remind me again why I had you on "ignore" status. My mistake for taking you off of it! You are in the same grouping as WF (and I know how you love to be told you are in a group!) which tries to find something to argue about in every thread, and can't seem to keep things on a respectful level. You guys wear that "I'm an a55hole and proud of it!" badge and try to prove it every time you post. And the ironic thing is that I was seeing your position on more of the "combatives mindset" side than the "sparring mindset" side and kind of expected that you would agree with me. But....that would mean you couldn't argue with me, and you can't have that now can you! ;-) So just carry on in typical fashion. I've said all I have to say. Thanks!
    Who on this forum cares who you have on ignore or not? Should I do a poll new thread to see?

You can group me any way you want. You seem to want to paint me as argumentative. No. I simply state my opinion clearly and as succinctly as possible whether or not it agrees with other posters or not.

Bull. There are distinctions between the two, just not the ones you are making.

Then let me quote you again. You said before:

100% disagree. There is no such thing as a "sparring art".

So now you are saying that you don't "100% disagree"? You actually considered what I was saying and changed your mind? Because if you see distinctions between the two mindsets, even if they aren't the same ones I see, then you can't "100%" disagree.

As far as "no such thing as a sparring art"......... American Kickboxing, modern Muay Thai, Olympic Tae Kwon Do ........

Blog Entries
    I like the way how Shawn Obassi shows to "cut off the ring" as he closes the distance in this clip, very similar to what I do for ring fighting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJDnTVuYuQ

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    I like the way how Shawn Obassi shows to "cut off the ring" as he closes the distance in this clip, very similar to what I do for ring fighting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJDnTVuYuQ
    Yes fighting boxer types will force you to step flank to cut off lateral movement, whether you are cutting off a ring or a cage or a parking lot.