Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I know a guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    ...who does wing chun, he and I trained together for some years in the style I do. Very good martial artist. We each have some training ideas that the other might not necessarily agree 100% with, but we manage to get along.

Is he doing wing chun right?
    In a word, NO.

There are many essential elements of Wang Chung.

Does your friend claim mastery after 3 years of practice and set off on a seminar circuit to make boatloads of cash from idiots? No? NOT WANG CHUNG.

Does your friend freely spar with people of other styles and exchange information in a friendly, non-confrontational way? Yes? NOT WANG CHUNG.

Does your friend fly into a fit of sissy-rage over things like lineage or the angle of bongsao? No? NOT WANG CHUNG.

Does your friend have snake engine? No? NOT WANG CHUNG.

These are the indisputable facts.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    If he is doing WC correctly, he won't get along with anybody. He probably won't spar either.
    Back in 1973, I met 2 brothers Jeffery Law and Phillip Law from Hong Kong under Ip Men. All of us were UT Austin students. I sparred the younger brother Phillip Law. The older brother Jeffery Law cross training long fist with me. They both had open mind.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Back in 1973, I met 2 brothers Jeffery Law and Phillip Law from Hong Kong under Ip Men. All of us were UT Austin students. I sparred the younger brother Phillip Law. The older brother Jeffery Law cross training long fist with me. They both had open mind.
    That's totally cool. And I'll bet there are a lot of others with a cool attitude out there. You just don't hear about them much.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/